Bakers Footwear Reviews | Glassdoor

Bakers Footwear Reviews

Updated March 16, 2017

Full-time Part-time

1. "terrible company - worst ever"

Current Employee - WORST PLACE EVER - DONT WORK THERE I SWEAR!!! in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

50% off regular price or 30% off shoes on sale, whichever makes it cheaper

Cons

Managers are awful and dont know anything. They always tell you you're going to be fired. Part time salespeople only get 3 hour shifts. not worth the time you spend getting ready and driving to and from work. Worst place to work ... ever. I was unhappy and dreaded going in.

Advice to Management

File for bankruptcy ... again . You promise everyone will make commission when your stores have horrible sales! my store was fighting every week just to make the same amount that was my weekly sales goal

2. "Best company I have ever worked for. I have been in retail 9 years, seen my share! This company is amazing and cares!"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Overland Park, KS

Pros

competitive pay
    great upper management
    very diverse staff
    fun, loud, exciting workplace
    fashion forward/fun dresscode
    BEAUTIFUL product you can believe in!
    and of course a generous discount off the retail price

Cons

biggest weakness for company: regional managers getting too busy and not returning phone calls, and forgetting to answer important questions/following through.

Advice to Management

Return calls as soon as you can. It is hard not to feel like youve been swept under the rug sometimes. I understand..YOU ARE BUSY, SO ARE WE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. "Not what I thought"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

50% off everything reg price and 30% off sale
    Easy work....

Cons

Customers are extremely rude!
    Power trips by management
    management treats part timers terrible on sales floor
    It's not a TEAM atmosphere, everyone is out for themselves

Advice to Management

Act like managers not like your in high school
    Be more of a TEAM player
    Part time asscociates need to feel part of the team not like they are below you

5. "Don't work here not worth it"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

Pros

Great discount & Management was nice

Cons

Hours sucked
    Customers are rude
    Feet smell sometimes

Advice to Management

Better Benefits

6. "Earn Comis$ion working at Bakers? 5% Comission OR $8.00/hr. NOT BOTH!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

Pros

50% discount on all shoes including "branded" (items other than Bakers own brand) -sale items you get for 30% off OR 50% off original price, whichever is more.

You decide how much you earn basically. If your total comission for the week does not equal more than $8.00/hr then they round you up but thats it.

Cons

Must work at a fast pace all time-have to hustle to make money! Many tourists and people in the store who take a long time and can be difficulet to understand.
    No benefits for part time employees and you don't ever get more than 20 hrs per week at the most.
    Bi-weekly pay but there are two pay periods in one check so you can commission one week and not the next...in the same paycheck.

Advice to Management

Management gets great benefits...you can see everything listed in the employee handbook and they do hire from within the company. Management throws you right into the job with barely any training. Most retail jobs I have had give extensive training or at the very least one or two work days. Bakers gave me the tour and when a customer interrupted my "training" looking for a shoe the manager just walked away and that was the end of it :) But overall everyone is soo friendly. I enjoy my job.

7. "It's Retail, with Respect."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Columbia, SC

Pros

It's a fun, friendly, fast-paced fashion forward environment with ample opportunity for growth and consistent training on all levels. There are over 200 stores throughout the US and it's still growing, so you have every opportunity to go from part times sales to working in the home office with proven results and they offer guidance every step of the way. Even poor performers are offered retraining and guidance to get back on track and better themselves. Every level of management all the way to the top will treat bakers employees with respect. They are business men and women no doubt, but they are very real, unlike most of the automatons working in the modern corporate world. They offer an amazing commission program which has some part-timers earning more than even management.

Cons

As with any retail firm, the hours are never really set, and you have to work holidays and weekends, so when your friends and family are off, you have to work. Full time employees earn 1 weeks paid vacation every 6 months, but you have limited time frames in which to use them, they do not carry over, and you can not combine them.

Advice to Management

Reconsider the limitations placed on management vacation times, and allow employees who are wooed back into the company to pick up their tenure where they left off, rather than having to start all over from scratch.

8. "fun atmosphere"

Pros

fast paced environment
    generally fun clientele

Cons

can get competitive during holidays

9. "I absolutely regret leaving this company!"

I worked at Bakers Footwear full-time

Pros

Amazing discount! Management was very hands on. Training program is fantastic!

Cons

After company was bought by ZIGI, the product change doesn't reflect the true Bakers Girl. New product is very slow to arrive.

Advice to Management

Stay vocal! Make sure that everyone in the company knows your name! If you have an idea or advice, share it. If you have a question, ask it.

10. "okay"

I worked at Bakers Footwear part-time (More than a year)

Pros

time of policies, office culture, work life balance, manager was awesome. 50% employee discount was great, especially for someone who loves shoes.

Cons

Pay was abysmal. in nevada, 5.15 is nowhere near enough to even buy food with, much less survive and pay bills with.

Advice to Management

Raise the pay

11. "New Management has to learn a little more about how to deal with employes and how to operate their business better"

I have been working at Bakers Footwear full-time

Pros

i don't See any that i can talk about ...

Cons

I don't have enough space here to explain how bad there are