BalancePoint Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jacquie Morgan, Michael Sommers and Scott Lippert

1. "Good Team"

Pros

The team I work with is a solid unit. Where if one is struggling the other picks up the slack. I am lucky to work with such a solid group with high communication levels.

Cons

Fast paced industry can strain personal life.

"Genuine Care for People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at BalancePoint Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I. Love. My. Job.

Why? Because of the genuine, good-hearted people I get to work with throughout the week. I feel grateful to be surrounded by a bunch of smart, driven people who constantly challenge me to learn and grow on a daily basis.

The BalancePoint team is a family. We’re a 12 year old company with an average tenure of more than five years, so that creates a high-trust atmosphere that I enjoy being a part of.

The lessons I’ve learned from the leadership team have not only helped me serve others better in business, but have also helped shape me into a better person in all aspects of my life.

Cons

Some daily/weekly internal meetings can feel redundant.

Advice to Management

Consider re-analyzing the goal of every daily/weekly meeting to see if they are adding value.

3. "Senior IT Project Manager"

Former Employee - Senior IT Project Manager in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Senior IT Project Manager in Overland Park, KS

Pros

BP treats both customers and contractors with respect and genuine concern. Customers are convinced they are getting top-notch talent at a reasonable rate, and most of the contractors I worked with share my sentiment that we were not regarded as mere commodities. One tangible way that BP promotes contractor benefits is to match, at least partially, 401(k) contributions - difficult to find these days, and especially rare among consulting firms. The Referral / Bonus program is also an attractive benefit. Partners in the Marketplace is another innovative way to generate professionalism in referrals. And I'd be remiss if I failed to mention the top-notch parties BP throws - premiere venues with fine company, good eats and excellent beverage choices. BP takes the time to celebrate accomplishments.

Cons

Very little Con I can write about. The only adverse impact I experienced personally was an unfortunate delay in my 401(k) enrollment (by six months), due to an administrative oversight. This resulted in a financial loss that was fortunately not material. Additionally, when I rolled it over to another account, there was an administrative error (misspelling on the check) that delayed the transfer. I heard some contractors complain that "they [BP] can't find anything for me," but this is often an unfair criticism: the availability of roles is subject to the vicissitudes of the larger marketplace, seasonality, economic pressure, etc.

Advice to Management

1) Consider offering at least partial reimbursement for training / education for consultants, as a matter not only of personal development, but "investment in assets." Perhaps institute even a Merit Program for full reimbursement for training classes for top performers (identified through customer feedback and performance evaluations)?
    2) Review and enhance 401(k) enrollment and divestment / transfer processes.

"Need new definition of transparency"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at BalancePoint Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is solid and they do you the job of finding you work, but have jobs that any other recruiter in town can find you.

Cons

They talk about about transparency and family when they recruit you and ongoing, but it is far from truth. It is all about the money for them, they will feed you lies and when you question or point out how their stories don't match, they come up with more stories that are just lies but then they try to convince you that they are 'transparent' so supposedly working for you.

Advice to Management

Don't just talk the talk, walk the talk. Be honest with people.

6. "Business Development"

Current Employee - Business Development in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Business Development in Kansas City, MO

Pros

This is a company that acts like a family There is genuine human interaction that occurs both internally with each other and externally with clients.

Cons

Often times there is such a commitment to client delivery that "letting go" each day is challenging

"It was like working in a circus."

Pros

The only pro was the day I was fired. I was so happy to get away from the insane place.

Cons

Management is completely clueless and pretend to be so religious and honest. However none of them agree and don't have any clue how to run a business. Only know how to spend daddy's money.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Thanks for letting me go it was the best thing that has ever happened to me. Quit calling people and companies bottom feeders.

"Double standards abound......"

I worked at BalancePoint Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty flexible work environment, a few good folks are hiding out in small burrows

Cons

Dishonest, untrustworthy, double meanings, strange expectations, social above value, artifical versus meaningful, lobbyist mentality, CYA abounds, fear of change, fear of speaking out, very high stress levels, arguements break out nearly every week

Advice to Management

Change has to start at the top, change = opportunity, lack of change due to fear is failure.

9. "A place that lets you do as well as you want to"

Former Employee - Senior Resource Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Resource Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at BalancePoint Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

"I use the past tense since it is now over two years since I've worked for BP. Still, I have no doubt in my mind that my comments about my time at BP apply as much today as they did during my tenure there. I, too, am a former employee of BalancePoint, and in that respect, I have the same thing in common with the other five reviewers as of February 24, 2014.

I've read these reviews and, frankly, don't want to comment on any of the ad hominem attacks of the owners. I think most adults will see those for the irrelevant nonsense that they are. I simply want to state the following: I found the owners to be good people, genuinely trying to do the best they could as private persons and as leaders in a company. They challenged and supported their employees. Most importantly, they never got in the way of any employee doing his job. They provided a great office environment, all the tools you could ever need, access to the owners when you needed them, and the freedom to do your job. What more do people want from an organization? Whatever it is, you're asking for too much.

Is BP a perfect organization? Of course not, but no organization is. I once told one of the owners that I thought I worked for the best company in the worst industry (for my skill set and desire). I still believe that. Recruiting was not for me, and, I suspect, it is not for the authors of these negative reviews of BP. But that is no reason to make statements of calumny against the owners of BP.

Anyway, if you're interested in pursuing a career in recruiting/sales, you need to check out BP. They have a long-tenured staff, which is amazing in any industry, but especially in the recruiting industry, and in this terrible economic climate to boot, so they must be doing something right. Look at the people who've thrived there; don't waste your time wallowing in the petty laments of people who threw away an opportunity.

Cons

I don't see anything glaringly negative about BP.

Advice to Management

Management understands what's going on. They have a vision and they know they've created the right environment for the right people to thrive within.

"Darkness, Deceit and Lies"

Pros

The Company believes it has a manifesto dedicated to Transparency, Truth and Trust. The reality is Darkness, Deceit and Lies.

Cons

Rule #1: Trust No One.

To Win in this organization: Become allies with the COO whose priority is hours of on-line shopping, less than 5 – 6 hour work days while giving many self spoken accolades of the Ivy League education that the other partners lack from State schools.

The entire senior leadership team, known as “principals” has betrayed the trust of the team including the Chief Human Resources Officer who lacks integrity.

The principals lack the ability to gather intel to make a decision, commonly compromising the organization and team for the good of all trumping to corrupt decisions for the good of the few.

The Chief Recruiting Officer is a fanatic for selling the image of the company while the Chief Marketing Officer tries to build the image & rapport with stories of truth & trust only for the Chief Operating Officer to destroy it with dark, manipulative self serving tactics.

Balancepoint has frequently had the A team but the result is always losing the best employees and damages productivity through high levels of stress and frustration.

Advice to Management

Relieve the Chief Operating Officer & Chief Recruiting Officer of duties and start building Trust with real Truth and Transparency.

""Wolf in sheep's clothing.""

Former Employee - Worker Bee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Worker Bee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at BalancePoint Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- good strategy of client transparency
    - interesting concept of trust & transparency based on "The Speed of Trust" by Stephen Covey

Cons

- Inexperienced owners seek direction from a business coach
    - Owners have little visibility into internal operations and culture
    - Owners give full trust and control to an ineffective, very poor, micro-manager
    - Commission amounts and compensation can change at any time based on the discretion of management
    - Trust is preached yet every action an internal employee makes is questioned by management or owners
    - There is absolutely no work/life balance although it is promised up front
    - There is little recognition for employee accomplishment
    - Office micro manager is very biased against new employees and blatantly favors the original, tenured employees
    - Rah Rah environment comes across as cheesy and fake

Advice to Management

Get involved in the operations and culture of your internal employees instead of giving blind trust to a terrible micromanager who stifles growth.
    Get off your self-righteous high horse and realize how fallible you are as leaders.
    Practice what you preach. If your organization is based on trust you have to trust more than just one person in the organization.
    Understand that a façade exists in the minds of your current employees. You'll never know the truth because everyone's afraid to tell you.