Balboa Capital Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Patrick Byrne

Pros
  • Positive work environment, that encourages success (in 12 reviews)

• Requires hard work and dedication but it pays off (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • sales culture company with very high turnover rate (in 6 reviews)

• I have no cons to report because it's a tremendous company to work for and one of my favorite jobs I've ever had (in 3 reviews)

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Sales in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Balboa Capital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Sales Training Program, Supportive Management Team. Fast pace young culture.

Cons

If you are not willing to work hard 100% of the time this is not the place for you

Advice to Management

Keep supporting your employees the way you do and keep giving them the tools necessary for them to be successful.

2. "50/50"

I worked at Balboa Capital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Provide extra hours off around holidays

Many seasoned employees who are helpful

Nice work space and computers. Important to Upper Management that employees are comfortable and have the tools they need

Free lunch often

Cons

Policy and procedure lacks substance and what is in place is not followed

No training materials offered, thrown into a position with no life jacket

Management has no time for employees because they seem to be pulled in 100 different directions themselves

Senior employees are given special treatment even though their work does not warrant said special treatment

Cold shoulder given if a Vacation or sick day is taken regardless of situation

Advice to Management

More training tools would be helpful

Outline Policy and stick to it

If new rules or fees are put into place employees should be made aware prior to launch

3. "I worked here way too long"

I worked at Balboa Capital full-time

Pros

I worked with some good people,

Cons

Too much workload. Need a good work/life balance.

5. "Not a real sales job - strictly a callcenter w/ minimum of 150 cold calls per day"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Balboa Capital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job with health insurance

Cons

All you are doing is calling a list of cold business leads and you are hounded about making a minimum of 150 calls per day. You are indeed the guy that people want to just hang up on. Not much strategy involved. If you try to research your prospects at all so that you can tailor your pitch specifically to the prospect's business, you will be hounded because you're not just banging out calls one after the other. Management admits the conversion rate is less than 1% so your call number per day is what they care about.

Also, they mislead you into thinking you are selling capital loans to businesses, but all you are doing is leasing them equipment at absurd interest rates.

Additionally, there are upfront fees small print in the contracts before the leases begin that cost thousands of dollars that management tells you to intentionally not mention because if they customer was made aware of this, they would not sign the contract. Most realize these fees once they start getting billed and are extremely angry, feeling like they have been duped, which they have.

Finally, the recruiter will tell you what your base salary will be, but adds that if you have sales experience you can negotiate for more. Instead, they do not budge on the base, and I was actually told by my boss that I had a target on my back simply because during the interview process, I did the prudent thing of trying to negotiate a higher base pay of a couple thousand dollars.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your candidates about what the job entails. Be honest with your candidates about the base salary. Be honest with your clients instead of tricking them into contracts.

"Good company for hard-working individuals"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Balboa Capital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice new building in Costa Mesa, good management team, opportunity for growth if you work hard, fair salary. Overall, the employees are nice and everyone gets along well.

Cons

The customer sales system is clunky but I hear we are getting a new one, which will be a big help for the sales managers.

Advice to Management

Keep adding the great technology like you have been doing so we can get more work done in a shorter amount of time.

7. "Accountant"

Former Employee - Accountant in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Irvine, CA

I worked at Balboa Capital (More than a year)

Pros

Only required to work your 40 hours. They're also flexible with your start time.

Cons

Pay is less than market value. Bad management

Advice to Management

Improve accounting department managers

8. "Account Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Balboa Capital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They provide training on capital equipment leasing and financing, as well as thousands of leads to call

Cons

Lots of turnover due to lower pay scales and management

Advice to Management

Focus on better B2B sales training and you will likely retain more employees with better sales abilities

9. "Good"

Pros

Good environment, positive atmosphere, well-trained manager
    Motivated

Cons

Can not think one right now

"Fraud, Lying, Cheating, No Ethics"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Balboa Capital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pros are few:
    -it just so happens that the uncorrupted new employees are decent people
    -I'm pulling at straws because that's it.

Cons

Everything that is wrong with the financial industry is amalgamated in this company. It is bent on ripping people off by offering them things they don't need with intrusive, abusive, and deceitful sales tactics.

It is an avalanche of lawsuits waiting to happen. Don't get involved if you don't want to be found an accessory to the lack of care for human life in this company.

You will be under-appreciated, under-paid, and you will be forced to do unethical sales practices that break your conscience. This company is the opposite of customer-centric, employee-centric; it is greed-centric.

You will hate every day and moment of this job. Everything about it is slimy with questionable ethics. The highest paid person here has defrauded dozens of customers to make a ton of money.

Don't be deceived by the big building. They ripped so many people off to pay for it. Their philosophy is kill to eat sales. Don't ask questions, just sell.

They legitimately don't want you to know what the product is because it's most likely fraudulent.

If you're desperate for a job, you're better off working for Starbucks. This job is not worth the cost.

Advice to Management

The management is atrocious. They are sexist, and they boss employees around like they're slaves. Everyone is treated like a child, and monitored like one too. There is no dialogue, only orders to obey.

"Operations Team"

I worked at Balboa Capital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly people. Good atmosphere overall. Most of the people are nice and welcoming. Free lunches as well. It's located in a nice area.

Cons

It's hard to grow at this company. They tell you the growth is there but it's really not. It takes 5-10 years to get a manager title to! Training is subpar and the company's strategy's/goals are kept secret mostly which is the case for a lot of privately owned businesses.

Advice to Management

Be more open to employees. Everything doesn't have to be 'hush hush'. Continuous training would be good to. Show the employees that you value and want to invest in them.