Baldor Electric Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Baldor Electric President & CEO Ronald Tucker
Ronald Tucker

Pros
Cons
  • They expect you to stay there up to a year or more sometimes making about half as much less as everyone else around you does (in 3 reviews)

• very hard to move to first shift (in 3 reviews)

"What happened to being Baldor?"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Fort Smith, AR
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Fort Smith, AR

I have been working at Baldor Electric full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There's some great people working here, and the work can be challenging and fun. On inclement weather days, salaried employees are able to remote work.

Cons

There's no work/life balance anymore. ABB has sucked all the "Baldor" out of Baldor. Insurance premiums are ridiculous and fewer places are accepting it. Vacation time has been taken away from exempt employees, and is no longer available on anniversary dates. Instead, it's now earned as a chunk on each payday. It's stressful working here, and after layoffs and buyouts, it feels like everyone here has a target on our backs.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees. We can tell something is off, and acting like buyouts will solve things only adds to the stress.

"STRESS HERE WILL KILL YOU!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Smith, AR

I worked at Baldor Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits and retirement package.

Cons

Corporate personnel overworked. Favoritism rampant. Worked at Baldor just short of twenty years. I always said they would have to fire or retire me. Things changed the last four years. I was emotionally and verbally abused by my manager. When I reported it he retaliated and tried to have me fired. Luckily I was able to transition into a new career away from the nightmare my job had become. Baldor has went downhill and does not care for their employees and even less for their customers. I can't work at a place like that.

Advice to Management

Hire more people that actually know what they are doing. It takes more than looking at a spreadsheet of numbers to properly run a business. Look into employee concerns instead of always taking their managers word for it. I could sue as I have plenty of evidence I emailed to my private email account but I won't at this time. Stop looking the other way and start looking at your employees and how unhappy they are. Unhappy workers make for an unhappy business. Get rid of whoever initiated project Washington. They are idiots who cost the company their reputation, customers, lots of money, and dedicated employees. Or just look the other way and expect ABB to fix it, again.

3. "Horrible Management"

Former Employee - Shipping Clerk in Commerce, CA
    Former Employee - Shipping Clerk in Commerce, CA

Pros

Bonuses and benefits and some of the employees are nice people to work with. That's pretty much it for the good side.

Cons

Horrible Management unprofessional environment. I work there for about 6 years. Worked harder than the rest and didn't go anywhere, due to the manager not liking me.

Advice to Management

They need new ones and professional ones. The company is going down due to horrible managers. They have one that is always sleeping in his office and one that is always joking around and is very unprofessional.

Oct 22, 2016 – HR

thanks for your comments. We hope you provided specific details about these incidences to HR during your exit interview, if not before.

"I used to love working there, but then it all changed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kings Mountain, NC

I worked at Baldor Electric (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pay was decent for the area. In the beginning the benefits were good. I have to give them credit for one thing - they have found extremely creative ways to fire people!

Cons

You will have a hard time finding anyone who currently works there that is happy, satisfied, and enjoys being a part of the team. Any current employee with a marketable skill set is, without exception, looking for something somewhere else. I still talk to a lot of the people that still work there and they all say pretty much the same thing - "You got out of there just in time - it's really bad now." When business slowed down it became very obvious that Human Resources and Management are constantly looking for ways to fire employees. Ray H, if you're still there, you have managed to take a place that people were proud to be a part of and destroy it. I'll also echo one of the other comments and say that the Asheville Boys Club members are untouchable - everyone else is disposable. I've talked to a lot of great employees and ex-employees who I know, from working side by side with them every single day for years, were absolutely committed to Baldor and they can't believe what has become of the place they loved.

Advice to Management

Work on employee morale. Level with the employees so that they understand the goals for the future. Make it a place that people want to work hard each day to sustain and improve.

Sep 17, 2016 – HR

This is good feedback, and we appreciate the advice.

"Great company - things change"

Current Employee - Corporate Office in Fort Smith, AR
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in Fort Smith, AR

I have been working at Baldor Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

When I began working there, it was an incredible place to work.

Cons

Jobs are being outsourced - unfortunately for long term, getting close to retirement aged employees.

May 16, 2016 – HR

One thing that's always been true about Baldor's culture is our focus on continuous improvement. As markets, customers, competitors and economies change, so must our approach in order to stay ... More

"Former employee Liked workng there for a long time until it became a joke"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kings Mountain, NC

I worked at Baldor Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Was great place to work before Rockwell buyout.Ashville boys took over and if you were not a good ol boy too bad for you. Favoritism so obvious to the point that it is sickening.

Cons

Sad to see how the Ashville group make a mockery of managing a plant. Nothing fair - decisions are personal not business. Even after Baldor acquisition mgmt. pathetic. Managers allow certain other mgmt. employees to stay in office, talk about nothing for hours on end, hand out candy - bull. Like working in kindergarten.

Advice to Management

Do yourselves a favor - stop embarrassing yourselves and just get other jobs. Have already just about lost all business due to chasing favorites and acting like a bunch of boys in heat.

"Stay away from Baldor"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Kings Mountain, NC
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Kings Mountain, NC

I worked at Baldor Electric full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Baldor is nothing more than a job. Management demands long hours for no reason on the off chance that you might be needed to answer a common sense question to manufacturing.

Cons

Long hours min of 9 hour days 5 days per week. After 4 years of service I was still at entry level pay band. Unless you are one of the good ole boys you are not getting a promotion. Benefits are very low more like you would expect from a local small business and not a multi million dollar company

Advice to Management

Need to wake up. Losing talented employees because your not willing to pay. There is no wonder WEG is taking you to the woodshed.

"Highly Unethical Practices"

Former Employee - Machinist in Athens, GA
    Former Employee - Machinist in Athens, GA

I worked at Baldor Electric full-time

Pros

The wages for hourly employees is decent

Cons

Within the management at Baldor there exists a culture of intimidation. It is quite possible to be held in an office for an hour in an attempt to be bullied into a false confession. This may happen when management admittedly states there is no way to know who is/was responsible. It is possible to be asked to prove innocence when there is no implication of guilt. It is possible that an employee who voices their concerns against an unethical and bias decision may be met with overt hostility and implied threats. It is possible to be suspended without notification even when it is requested. It is possible to be terminated for a verbal warning without following disciplinary procedure per the handbook.

Advice to Management

Treat employees uniformly and fair. Learn how to act professional when employees voice valid concerns regarding unethical discipline.

"No layoff policy does not exist at Baldor. Once ABB purchased Baldor, the no layoff policy went into the trash."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Smith, AR

Pros

Good office work environment overall.

Cons

Layoff long term employees with no regard or compassion.

"Less than happy"

Former Employee - Floater in South Fort Smith, AR
    Former Employee - Floater in South Fort Smith, AR

I worked at Baldor Electric (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is not bad if you can do cnc or other upgraded job or work maximum overtime otherwise it is average

Cons

They don't like to hire permanent, they keep the temps up to 4 years before letting them go. They don't ask you to work ot, they tell you that you are at the last minute.
    Don't ever plan on making a career of it but just a place to go until you get a job.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to more of the employees, especially the ones working so hard and being told they will be hired on often but nothing.