Baldor Electric Reviews | Glassdoor

Baldor Electric President & CEO Ronald Tucker
Ronald Tucker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • They want to hire everyone as a temp and even full time employees start off with 1 week of vacation (in 7 reviews)

• They expect you to stay there up to a year or more sometimes making about half as much less as everyone else around you does (in 3 reviews)

1. "Good Old Boy Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weaverville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weaverville, NC

I have been working at Baldor Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They will hire people without a lot of experience

Cons

They want to hire everyone as a temp and even full time employees start off with 1 week of vacation. To say they are cheap is an understatement, machines are falling apart and they keep band aiding them to try and keep them running. The good old boy system is rampant in the company and the plant. Spineless management that will not deal with real problems.

"machinist"

Former Employee - Machinist in Clarksville, AR
    Former Employee - Machinist in Clarksville, AR

I worked at Baldor Electric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is okay, benefit are good

Cons

4 mistakes and you are out the door

Advice to Management

Quit being so strict with unrealistic rules

"STRESS HERE WILL KILL YOU!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Smith, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Smith, AR

I worked at Baldor Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits and retirement package.

Cons

Corporate personnel overworked. Favoritism rampant. Worked at Baldor just short of twenty years. I always said they would have to fire or retire me. Things changed the last four years. I was emotionally and verbally abused by my manager. When I reported it he retaliated and tried to have me fired. Luckily I was able to transition into a new career away from the nightmare my job had become. Baldor has went downhill and does not care for their employees and even less for their customers. I can't work at a place like that.

Advice to Management

Hire more people that actually know what they are doing. It takes more than looking at a spreadsheet of numbers to properly run a business. Look into employee concerns instead of always taking their managers word for it. I could sue as I have plenty of evidence I emailed to my private email account but I won't at this time. Stop looking the other way and start looking at your employees and how unhappy they are. Unhappy workers make for an unhappy business. Get rid of whoever initiated project Washington. They are idiots who cost the company their reputation, customers, lots of money, and dedicated employees. Or just look the other way and expect ABB to fix it, again.

"Work/Life out of balance."

Pros

Check still cashes. Occasionally still get vacation. Insurance still seems valid. Other than that it's really hard to find pros.

Cons

Cannot have a life working here. ABB has destroyed Baldor & Baldor management has allowed it to happen. Rollie Boreham is rolling over in his grave! Nice job!

Advice to Management

You had better start taking better care of the employee or there will be none left. Most current employees are looking to leave. May be the Baldor plan though... Looks like ABB is moving Baldor out of Ft. Smith one department at a time! Will not be long before Baldor no longer exists in Ft. Smith.

Oct 22, 2016 – HR

It is ABB and Baldor's intention to remain in Fort Smith, producing motors as we do today. The more specific feedback we get, the better we can help manage change and employee concerns.

5. "Horrible Management"

Former Employee - Shipping Clerk in Commerce, CA
    Former Employee - Shipping Clerk in Commerce, CA

Pros

Bonuses and benefits and some of the employees are nice people to work with. That's pretty much it for the good side.

Cons

Horrible Management unprofessional environment. I work there for about 6 years. Worked harder than the rest and didn't go anywhere, due to the manager not liking me.

Advice to Management

They need new ones and professional ones. The company is going down due to horrible managers. They have one that is always sleeping in his office and one that is always joking around and is very unprofessional.

Oct 22, 2016 – HR

thanks for your comments. We hope you provided specific details about these incidences to HR during your exit interview, if not before.

"I used to love working there, but then it all changed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kings Mountain, NC

I worked at Baldor Electric (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pay was decent for the area. In the beginning the benefits were good. I have to give them credit for one thing - they have found extremely creative ways to fire people!

Cons

You will have a hard time finding anyone who currently works there that is happy, satisfied, and enjoys being a part of the team. Any current employee with a marketable skill set is, without exception, looking for something somewhere else. I still talk to a lot of the people that still work there and they all say pretty much the same thing - "You got out of there just in time - it's really bad now." When business slowed down it became very obvious that Human Resources and Management are constantly looking for ways to fire employees. Ray H, if you're still there, you have managed to take a place that people were proud to be a part of and destroy it. I'll also echo one of the other comments and say that the Asheville Boys Club members are untouchable - everyone else is disposable. I've talked to a lot of great employees and ex-employees who I know, from working side by side with them every single day for years, were absolutely committed to Baldor and they can't believe what has become of the place they loved.

Advice to Management

Work on employee morale. Level with the employees so that they understand the goals for the future. Make it a place that people want to work hard each day to sustain and improve.

Sep 17, 2016 – HR

This is good feedback, and we appreciate the advice.

"Great company - things change"

Current Employee - Corporate Office in Fort Smith, AR
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in Fort Smith, AR

I have been working at Baldor Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

When I began working there, it was an incredible place to work.

Cons

Jobs are being outsourced - unfortunately for long term, getting close to retirement aged employees.

May 16, 2016 – HR

One thing that's always been true about Baldor's culture is our focus on continuous improvement. As markets, customers, competitors and economies change, so must our approach in order to stay... More

"ABB has destroyed Baldor Culture"

Pros

The Baldor of 'old' was a customer focused company that viewed relationships as the basis all aspects of their business.

Cons

ABB is a bunch of European MBA's who run the business out of a textbook. They do not focus on their customers or the value of relationships. Their idea of the ABB/customer relationship is defined by a contract. Period.

Advice to Management

When you idiots get done destroying Baldor, please buy WEG.

"Former employee Liked workng there for a long time until it became a joke"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kings Mountain, NC

I worked at Baldor Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Was great place to work before Rockwell buyout.Ashville boys took over and if you were not a good ol boy too bad for you. Favoritism so obvious to the point that it is sickening.

Cons

Sad to see how the Ashville group make a mockery of managing a plant. Nothing fair - decisions are personal not business. Even after Baldor acquisition mgmt. pathetic. Managers allow certain other mgmt. employees to stay in office, talk about nothing for hours on end, hand out candy - bull. Like working in kindergarten.

Advice to Management

Do yourselves a favor - stop embarrassing yourselves and just get other jobs. Have already just about lost all business due to chasing favorites and acting like a bunch of boys in heat.

"Stay away from Baldor"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Kings Mountain, NC
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Kings Mountain, NC

I worked at Baldor Electric full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Baldor is nothing more than a job. Management demands long hours for no reason on the off chance that you might be needed to answer a common sense question to manufacturing.

Cons

Long hours min of 9 hour days 5 days per week. After 4 years of service I was still at entry level pay band. Unless you are one of the good ole boys you are not getting a promotion. Benefits are very low more like you would expect from a local small business and not a multi million dollar company

Advice to Management

Need to wake up. Losing talented employees because your not willing to pay. There is no wonder WEG is taking you to the woodshed.