Baldwin Richardson Foods Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Eric G. Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best company - People First and Growing"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Baldwin Richardson Foods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company is growing at a record pace. I can't say that about the other company I worked for, in fact that is why I left them to come work at Baldwin Richardson Foods. This company REALLY cares about their own people and their customers. The BRF experience is top notch.

Cons

The only cons I can see are the post here but will say that they are NOT consistent with what I have experienced in my time at BRF. These sound like false or old reviews. I read these before I accepted my position and can't find any evidence of a toxic environment. Everyone here is so excited about the historic milestones this company just met. All energy is leading to finding win win situations for the company and its customers. Everyone I have met seems really happy and excited to contribute to the company’s success. I’ve been here less than a year but that’s enough time to get a feel of this company.
    I came from a company that was not growing and had no goals except to meet cost cutting metrics dropped down by leadership. They fired people to meet cost parameters. These reviews sound like that environment. Baldwin Richardson Foods is NOTHING like that. I wonder if the people writing these reviews have ever been in that environment. BRF is certainly not that place.

Advice to Management

Keep up the GREAT work. I'm happy that I joined this WINNING team!

2. "Do not recommend"

I worked at Baldwin Richardson Foods full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

health plan, I did like my shift supervisor

Cons

hours, most of the people, wages (get more and more out of you with no additional compensation), kept lessening benefits and bonuses

"anonymous"

I have been working at Baldwin Richardson Foods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No such thing at this dysfunctional, abusive and ridiculous company, do not even consider taking a job here if you value your insanity at all!

Cons

Not even sure where to begin or end, management is absolutely unrealistic when it comes to big picture as well as day to day, they micro-manage you to DEATH, they hire great people and then treat them like complete garbage! The "hire great people and then get out of their way and let them work" DOES NOT apply here, they just expect you to be their puppets. NEVER in my career have I been made to feel so stupid and unappreciated. Work/life balance DOES NOT exist, they expect you to live, eat and breathe this company even if you are on vacation, in the hospital or dealing with a family emergency. I can't wait to give my notice and leave this nightmare behind me.

Advice to Management

Please stop putting up all of these FALSE positive reviews! Everyone that works here just laughs and talks about how stupid you are for constantly trying to make BRF look like a great place to work, we all know its complete lies.

"Revolving Door"

Former Employee - Supply Chain Director in Macedon, NY
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Director in Macedon, NY

I worked at Baldwin Richardson Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a large group of great people who can see right through management and ownership lies and lack of character. These are the people who are actually running this company.

Cons

This place is so out of control and a complete waste of my career. People are constantly put on the spot and questioned just for doing their job, while others get a complete pass who are incompetent. The people who are getting the pass are not genuine and also have a poor lack of character. The people who actually know and care about what they are doing are all looking to get out, it is a shame that the job market is not better so more people can better themselves. Entire departments turnover regularly, it is similar to musical chairs. The caliber of new candidates brought on board is embarrassing. These people do not know how to use simple functions on a computer, such as excel and word and are given "Senior" level jobs. I truly feel that my career is stuck and is actually on the decline because of the poor management, policies, lack of leadership and no career development. When people ask me where I work I am embarrassed to say Baldwin Richadson Foods. The reputation of executives in this company is truly embarrassing it is almost comical. Many qualified, smart and capable people pass this place right up on their job search because of the extremely poor reputation this place has.

Advice to Management

or the sake of the company, the many people and families that depend on their paychecks please, please, please step aside. Many people call the atmosphere here a toxic culture. Well I wonder why? In many positions people are regularly fired who are more than qualified and capable for their position.

"Great Benefits"

I have been working at Baldwin Richardson Foods full-time

Pros

Very focused on benefits and offer some good perks, especially related to health and wellness.

Cons

Healthcare is not as great as it used to be, but still really good, and very good for the industry.

Advice to Management

Continue to look at more employee engagement programs. Look at who is running then and if they are the right people.

"If you work hard, you will do great here"

I have been working at Baldwin Richardson Foods full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A private, family-owned company with room to grow. Going the extra mile will endear you to ownership, and it will push your career even farther. The company gives plenty of flexibility and solid health benefits.

Cons

Culture is building - there are rumors of high turnover but the grass isn't always greener.

"Sales & Marketing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Baldwin Richardson Foods full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a family run company, employees and management do really treat you like part of the family. Unlike other larger companies I have worked at, BRF has invested time and money to help me gain key leadership and personal development skills to succeed. There has been turnover at the company but that's what happens when a company goes from good to great. Employees who were complacent in their jobs have self selected to leave making room for employees that are better suited to growing the business. I love the team I work with today.

Cons

As with any company that is in growth mode, there will be growing pains. But that said, I haven't once thought about leaving or looking for a new job.

"Help Needed"

Pros

There are some incredibly smart and talented people that work at Baldwin Richardson Foods through out each department that they have. Employees are offered appreciation events such as a picnic at the zoo, and a holiday party. The health benefits package is very good.

Cons

Leadership is inconsistent, company direction changes far too often causing confusion and making people believe that because the past paths that were taken have not helped the company that the next few won't either. Those smart, talented people are not employed at BRF for very long because of this. Pay is low in many fields, even for this area.

Advice to Management

Stop changing directions multiple times a year. Begin recognizing the amazing work that your employees are trying to do for you and pay them a reasonable wage. Be more open to constructive criticism when it is offered.

"The most toxic, dysfunctional organization I have ever worked for! Do not accept an offer of employment from BR Foods!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Pros

Employee recognition items are nice, BUT do not make up for extended hours away from family and toxic work atmosphere. Employees Support Ronald McDonald House.

Cons

Worst mistake of my life. Most of my co-workers acknowledge the same and are trying to get out. Extremely poor work/family balance. Can only recruit from outside of Rochester area for professional positions because company has such a toxic reputation in Rochester. Senior management team is unethical and so focused on financial returns that they allow products and out-of-spec products to be used for finished goods.. As a manufacturer of food products, this is not acceptable. Consistently hire and then fire employees to protect their own incompetence. Manufacturing employees are forced to work to maximum of allowable hours every week through the weekend. Employees are exhausted and poor safety record demonstrates such. Senior Management is not held to the same standard as hourly and middle management workforce. Senior management is rarely present during OT or weekend shifts and when they make an appearance, they simply walk through and then leave. A recent incident in one of their buildings finally forced the senior team to deal with some issues they were aware of and have ignored for years. Supply Chain, Engineering and Human Resources departments top to bottom are poorly equipped to get the job done. Most of the senior staff hide in their offices rather than interact with employee base. An executive released, in error, the salaries for the entire staff AND for the ownership team (privately held company) on a spreadsheet (clearly didn't know how to use Excel!) and was not disciplined. Ownership may have been successful as entrepreneurs, but they demonstrate a lack of competence in understanding what it takes to move the company forward. They are part-time employees at best; terrible judges of character and thus their corporate and their personal reputations are the laugh of the Rochester market.

Advice to Management

The ownership is so out of touch that they are clearly unaware of their reputation and the toxic team they trust to manage the day-to-day operation. Ownership may be well educated, but they lack the self-awareness and political savvy necessary to steer this ship forward. You cannot only be part-time workers and expect to know what's happening in your business. You cannot permit your team to use products that aren't to spec and are to be consumed by the public. What a shame. You could be so much better.

"Demanding management, fast paced environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Macedon, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Macedon, NY

I have been working at Baldwin Richardson Foods full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is good, raises cam be slim, always something to work on, multiple learning opportunities

Cons

High turn over, unrealistic expectations, secrecy, under staffed because of the high turn over

Advice to Management

Develop some talent for long term, work to reduce the turn over, empower your people to be able to work without fear of listing their job.