KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Balihoo Reviews

Updated Jun 28, 2016

Found 19 of over 20 reviews

4.0
Balihoo Chief Executive Officer Paul Price (no image)
Paul Price

Current Employee

Great Company

Jun 13, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent people, office perks (such as snacks and beer), and allow for flexible hours. This is a great company to work for.

Cons

This company is agile and will do what it takes to stay afloat, but with this they have had many major layoffs.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing people, great product, solid investors, phenomenal growth!

Jul 16, 2012 - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Business Outlook

Pros

Balihoo has more than doubled its revenues in the past year and ramped headcount accordingly. Even so, the culture is still so rich and fun. Here are a few of the many benefits - sponsored (paid) sabbatical every five years (with $2,500 of go have fun money); Mustache May, bike parking and repair area, five full days of volunteering per year (almost obligatory), keggerator with two kegs of homebrew (brewed by a couple of our employees - Balihoo covers the costs), Balihoo volunteer fund (someone went to Thailand last year using a Balihoo funded scholarship... I could go on and on. This place is pretty amazing. I feel lucky. Everyday I feel like my contributions are valued and impactful.

Cons

Health benefits could be improved. At this point, employees are given a stipend and can optionally enroll in a pretty mediocre health insurance plan.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great company and great culture

Jun 6, 2013 - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is THE most transparent company I have ever worked for. The CEO holds monthly all company meetings and provides visibility into financials, our vision, our customers and always provides honest feedback on how we are doing. I love knowing what is going on.

Cons

The expectations are high here and the work is challenging. If you are looking for a place to cruise along and punch a time clock - this is not it. There is another review on this site about the fact that management sometimes buys lunch for us to stay and work. Sure you could see that as a negative sweatshop mentality. I see it as mangement recognizing they are asking something above and beyond and trying to make it easier on us. It is DEFINITELY NOT a sweatshop.

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great culture, little upward mobility, low pay

Dec 17, 2015 - Marketing Manager in Boise, ID
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Friendly company, co-workers build really positive culture - Product and space that the company in is interesting - Kegerator in the kitchen, free beer any time! -Relatively free to decide how to do your job- If you've got good ideas, you'll be allowed to execute them.

Cons

- Pay is low: I was aggressive with negotiation, and increased pay was hard to come by. Offered stock options in lieu of adequate pay. Got over a 50% pay increase (+20k signing bonus) when I left the company for a new job. - Health insurance is very poor (cost over $8,000 to have a 0 complications labor/delivery for a new baby with company insurance) - Many departments have no upward mobility. Its a small company, so thats not a surprise, but just be aware of it.

Balihoo Response

VP of Human Resources

Thank you for your candid feedback. Balihoo tries very hard to ensure that compensation is competitive based on a number of factors, including comparison to similar opportunities within the market. There is always room for improvement, but since Nov 2014, we've taken steps to improve our benefits, lead compensation within market, and provide opportunities for development and growth within the company. Of course, there is plenty more to do!

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Balihoo has been a breath of fresh air in my career. I feel excited to go to work, be a part of a growing company!

Jul 16, 2012 - Office Manager in Boise, ID
    Business Outlook

Pros

positive executive staff to push you to achieve career goals. exciting fast paced work environment. community involvement & creative culture

Cons

constantly growing and changing, sometimes hard to stay on top of everything. sometimes difficult to stay connected to everyone personally

6. 4.0
    Former Employee

GREAT people and company culture!!

Jun 28, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

There is always a lot of work to be done, but working with a great group of smart, talented and energetic individuals makes it very exciting. The flexible work hours it makes it much easier to manage your work/life balance. Everyone has the opportunity to contribute to the evolution of the company, culture, internal processes... regardless of your role.

Cons

Repeated organization restructuring to meet changing business focus makes employees very nervous.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Can't imagine working anywhere else!

May 23, 2013 - Client Services in Boise, ID
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people are amazing, the culture is by far the best compared to any other company I've worked at, the job is challenging and management keeps people accountable - which is a great thing! I've also found that my opinions are valued and I feel that what I'm doing, is working towards a company goal.

Cons

No necessarily a "con" but it's a work hard / play hard environment - which is not for everyone. However, if people can handle it, it's proven to be very rewarding!

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A truly positive culture...not just a "front" put on to attract talent. But you trade that for salary.

Jan 9, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work-life balance (I simply don't get emails from coworkers on the weekends), flexibility of schedule and work space (I can work from home without judgement, for the most part). Unlimited paid time off (as long as you're getting your job done). The entire culture is based on trust and respect.

Cons

You may make less than your peers in larger companies.

1 person found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Culture-centric company focused as much on its employees as on its bottom line.

Jul 16, 2012 - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Business Outlook

Pros

-upper management is highly engaged -excellent employee culture -enjoyable work -manageable workload

Cons

-hard work, while fulfilling, is not for everyone; may not be a good fit for those looking to simply clock in from 9 to 5 and doze in front of a computer screen

10. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great company to work for!

Feb 23, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Business Outlook

Pros

Smart, friendly people. Good company culture, good benefits (unlimited PTO, flex time, dogs in the office), family-friendly, good work/life balance. Really cool products that could change the world of local marketing.

Cons

Some people get really overworked here. Company had a lag in sales that hit hard, had some managed changes that caused ripples and slowed things down.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 19 Reviews

Balihoo Reviews FAQs

77% of Balihoo employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Balihoo 4.1 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.4 for culture and values and 3.6 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Balihoo to be senior leadership, career development, culture and the cons to be compensation, management, benefits.

Popular Careers with Balihoo Job Seekers