Balihoo Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 19 reviews

4.0
Paul Price
  1. "Great Company"

I have been working at Balihoo full-time

Pros

Excellent people, office perks (such as snacks and beer), and allow for flexible hours. This is a great company to work for.

Cons

This company is agile and will do what it takes to stay afloat, but with this they have had many major layoffs.

Balihoo2016-06-13
  2. "GREAT people and company culture!!"

I worked at Balihoo full-time

Pros

There is always a lot of work to be done, but working with a great group of smart, talented and energetic individuals makes it very exciting. The flexible work hours it makes it much easier to manage your work/life balance. Everyone has the opportunity to contribute to the evolution of the company, culture, internal processes... regardless of your role.

Cons

Repeated organization restructuring to meet changing business focus makes employees very nervous.

Advice to Management

Take time to roll out changes and think through how the changes will impact each team before it's a done deal. This will allow teams to plan/prepare and minimize the chaos.

Balihoo2016-06-28

"Good people, poor product"

Former Employee - Account Service in Boise, ID

I worked at Balihoo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart, driven people in all areas.

Cons

Too many pivots on product & strategic direction.

Advice to Management

Pick a lane, and stick with it.

Balihoo2016-05-05
  4. "Great company to work for!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I worked at Balihoo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart, friendly people. Good company culture, good benefits (unlimited PTO, flex time, dogs in the office), family-friendly, good work/life balance. Really cool products that could change the world of local marketing.

Cons

Some people get really overworked here. Company had a lag in sales that hit hard, had some managed changes that caused ripples and slowed things down.

Advice to Management

Get better health insurance

Balihoo2016-02-23

"Marketing"

Former Employee - Automation Marketing Strategist in Boise, ID

I worked at Balihoo full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's really easy to land a job here. It has a great location and you can bring your dog! They finally removed some of the troubled people. they hire in big waves.

Cons

No training. No movement. You have to be friends with management to get anywhere. They will hire in big waves then do a mass layoff once the project is done. All of upper management from the time I was there has been laid off or left. Makes employees nervous.

Advice to Management

Keep your head up. SaaS is a hard industry. Don't lie to your customers about being "automated" when you hire people for low salary to do things by hand.

Balihoo2016-02-24
  6. "Work Hard-Play Hard"

I have been working at Balihoo

Pros

-CULTURE -The people -The Drive -The Management -The amount of appreciation and encouragement -The opportunity to move up and forward with the company We take the work hard, play hard seriously!

Cons

No major Cons here

Balihoo2015-12-28

"Digital Account"

I worked at Balihoo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Their eagerness to learn from others and make themselves better whether it was feedback on culture or processes.

Cons

A lot of blind leading the blind and people who weren't qualified to be in their roles. Which lead to a lot of throwing under the bus because there was a lack of ownership when things went wrong and it's a start-up so things went wrong all the time.

Advice to Management

They fired the CEO who was actually great, it was the mid-level management that was the issue. Those people in between who weren't quite qualified for their jobs and desperate to not be the one the finger is pointed at. It just breeds a bad environment when you work like that.

Balihoo2015-12-15
  8. "Great culture, little upward mobility, low pay"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Boise, ID

I worked at Balihoo (Less than a year)

Pros

- Friendly company, co-workers build really positive culture - Product and space that the company in is interesting - Kegerator in the kitchen, free beer any time! -Relatively free to decide how to do your job- If you've got good ideas, you'll be allowed to execute them.

Cons

- Pay is low: I was aggressive with negotiation, and increased pay was hard to come by. Offered stock options in lieu of adequate pay. Got over a 50% pay increase (+20k signing bonus) when I left the company for a new job. - Health insurance is very poor (cost over $8,000 to have a 0 complications labor/delivery for a new baby with company insurance) - Many departments have no upward mobility. Its a small company,...

Advice to Management

Management has changed so much since I was there (Nov 2014) I'm not sure I have advice. Pay people what they deserve and you might not get the turn-over. Of course, if you're fine being a "get your experience here then move-on" type company then I'm not sure I've got any advice. I really enjoyed my time there, and it helped me vastly in finding my next job. It just didn't pay enough to keep me there as I grew.

Balihoo2015-12-17

Balihoo Response

December 29, 2015VP of Human Resources

Thank you for your candid feedback. Balihoo tries very hard to ensure that compensation is competitive based on a number of factors, including comparison to similar opportunities within the market. There is always room for improvement, but since Nov 2014, we've taken steps to improve ...

"A truly positive culture...not just a "front" put on to attract talent. But you trade that for salary."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I have been working at Balihoo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work-life balance (I simply don't get emails from coworkers on the weekends), flexibility of schedule and work space (I can work from home without judgement, for the most part). Unlimited paid time off (as long as you're getting your job done). The entire culture is based on trust and respect.

Cons

You may make less than your peers in larger companies.

Balihoo2015-01-09
  10. "Amazing Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I have been working at Balihoo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great employees.. fun environment, lots of laughs, smart co-workers, challenging work Great exec team.. highly capable team with strong industry experience Great opportunity.. huge market, huge opportunity, few viable competitors. Exciting opportunities professionally to positively impact the business

Cons

No major concerns that I have encountered to date.

Advice to Management

Go big!

Balihoo2013-07-12