Ballard Spahr Attorney Reviews | Glassdoor

Ballard Spahr Attorney Reviews

Updated 17 Feb 2019

Found 5 reviews

1.6
Ballard Spahr CEO Mark S. Stewart (no image)
Mark S. Stewart

"Nice big firm to work for, NJ office respects life/work balance."

Former Employee - Attorney in Cherry Hill, NJ

I worked at Ballard Spahr full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

High salary, nice people compared to other big firms, location (Cherry Hill), good work/life balance, NJ office management doesn't play favorites.

Cons

The amount of work in the litigation department is not overwhelming, so to stay and/or advance there is a definite need to be a rainmaker or cultivate relationships with other offices for referrals.

Advice to Management

None

Ballard Spahr2017-04-12

"Warning: "Attorney" Position is actually a "Staff Attorney""

Current Employee - Attorney

I have been working at Ballard Spahr full-time

Pros

I find the working environment to be fine. People leave each other alone to work. It is quiet which I enjoy.

Cons

Ballard has recently changed the name of the "staff attorney" position to "attorney." It is the same thing. These "attorneys" are required to work the same hours as associates, with substantially less pay, and you will NEVER receive a raise. This is not written in any policy manual and, at least for me, I was never informed of this at any point during the interview process.

Advice to Management

Either be transparent during the interview process about what this "attorney" position actually is or get rid of the disparate treatment.

Ballard Spahr2019-02-17

"Attorney"

Attorney in Denver, CO

I have been working at Ballard Spahr

Pros

Nice support staff and nice offices

Cons

Big firm too many hours spent on admin and non-working activities

Advice to Management

Let lawyers be lawyers

Ballard Spahr2018-09-24
  4. "Broken Promises"

Former Employee - Attorney in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Ballard Spahr full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the partners are great to work with and willing to teach. The support staff is excellent. The pay is good.

Cons

The partners are not willing or able to train you in business development. The only direction I received was to cultivate my relationships. Well, the relationships I had with the people at companies I was trying to pitch had been cultivated for more than 20 years (I knew these people since I was a child). I don’t need to learn to cultivate a relationship, I’d like to know how to pitch our firm and our practices. ... There’s no education as to rate flexibility or various services. There’s also only so many times you can sit throigh the same business development meeting. The OMP kept seeking suggestions how to get Ballard’s name more prominent in the community. Yet the firm wouldn’t advertise or when suggestions were made they were ignored or disregarded. Interestingly enough within 3-6 months of making those suggestions, peer firms would do the thing suggested and reap benefits. Finally, don’t believe promises from management. I was originally hired as a contract attorney, with the promise that if I proved my mettle, I would be a full-time associate. When I had proven my mettle, I was offered a stag atoormey position. I was told the pay and benefits would be the same as an associate, just that a I would be non-partner track. Shortly thereafter, I learned so didn’t qualify for an hours or merit bonus and my pay was approximately $35,000 less than my colleagues in the same class. I know several other attorneys that left due to similar broken promises.

Advice to Management

Engage your associates more in business development. Listen to younger associates more on marketing and development.

Ballard Spahr2018-04-01

"Awful environment"

Former Employee - Attorney

I worked at Ballard Spahr full-time for more than a year

Pros

The support staff is great, but only loyal to partners.

Cons

Challenging to one' s integrity, zero collaboration and teamwork, and no room for advancement.

Ballard Spahr2018-03-29