Balsam Brands Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Balsam Brands CEO Thomas Harman
Thomas Harman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Mac is the best leader I've ever worked with"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I worked at Balsam Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture. The company puts a strong emphasis on friendship with your coworkers. There's a plethora of opportunities to get to know the people you work with, even with the office locations being separated.

Everyone in the company seems to be extremely smart and driven. People work hard but at the same time are very chill and understanding.

By far the best part of working for Balsam is Mac Harmon. He's an incredible leader and leads by example, he puts a lot of trust in his employees and genuinely cares about them. I've never met a more charismatic people person in my life.

Cons

Part of the extremely smart and driven side is stubbornness. Because they've analyzed the situation or have a good sense of the idea, many individuals seem to not want to accept other solutions.

Mac seems to be handing off the reins more and more; this is obviously necessary because of the size/growth of Balsam, but it seems to be hurting the company. It feels as though maybe he's focusing on the wrong parts as a leader.

Advice to Management

Focus more internally, promote from within, encourage training (not just conferences).

2. "Lots of Exposure but Mediocre Compensation"

Current Employee - Analyst in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Balsam Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Company Visibility: There are many opportunities to represent your team and be part of the decision making process for complex issues that may be typical beyond entry-level positions
    -Company Culture: All that is said about the company's culture really is true, coworkers are extremely friendly and they care about your professional life as well as your personal one. They're willing to help and answer questions, something that is often taken for granted
    -Autonomy: There is a lot of autonomy because managers trust the work you do and it allows for better time and project management
    -Busy Season Perks: The peak holiday periods are full of stress and increased work hours, but the company really does try to make it more manageable with it's holiday perks such as free coffee and massages

Cons

-Mediocre Compensation: There are no annual bonuses or equity and the company's attempt to only hire in Boise or in Manila highlights their unwillingness to pay competitive wages for Bay Area standards. The company's efforts to provide good benefits is honorable but seems to be a distraction from its poor base pay.
    -Subjective promotion scale: The promotion scale is based primarily on soft skills and leaves a lot of run for subjectivity.

Advice to Management

Promote from within and increase compensation as it is not sustainable

Balsam Brands Response

Aug 28, 2018 – Recruiting and People Initiatives Analyst

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback; we value candid feedback from our team members, both positive and constructive!

We understand that compensation and benefits are... More

3. "E-commerce"

I worked at Balsam Brands full-time

Pros

The people who work there! I have met and worked with some of the nicest, and most genuine people.

Cons

The leadership team lacks gumption to make long-term decisions about business strategy and where to take the company in the future, it's difficult for them to commit one way or the other. The company has a variety of values such as "do the right thing" that are extremely subjective. This is a very difficult value to uphold when individuals have their own points of view and moral compasses on what it means to "do the right thing". Lastly, while they proclaim that they put people first, it has become apparent that this is more difficult to do as they grow in scale. Don't be fooled to think you don't need to play politics here, once you are mid-senior level the BS is just as bad as every other corporation in America.

Balsam Brands Response

Aug 28, 2018 – Recruiting and People Initiatives Analyst

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns. We appreciate your feedback, as it allows us to grow as a company and employer. We are committed to putting people first, no matter... More

"Wonderful people, leadership, and workplace"

I have been working at Balsam Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Full of ambitious, intelligent, and caring employees: this starts at the top with extremely approachable upper management who care about those they work with, not just the bottom line.
    - Fun & fast environment: with such a seasonal business there is definitely a 'try to keep up' pace at certain times of year, but the culture shines in these moments. The team keeps it lighthearted & provides extra perks/events to balance the seasonality.
    - Excellent CEO: Extremely smart & humble, genuinely gets to know you, & goes out of his way to help those around him be fulfilled working for Balsam.
    - Growing quickly: growth has been swift, both in the size of the business & the employee count. The direction of the business is clear, and care is taken to maintain the vibrant culture (although there are naturally growing pains!).
    - Talented, likeminded coworkers: the hiring standard is very high, both from a skillset and cultural fit perspective. It's very easy to collaborate cross functionally - employees are down to earth but very talented at what they do.

Cons

- A premium on time: there's a lot going on, and at times the focus on executing seasonal growth can hinder proper management attention towards personal & professional growth.

Advice to Management

- Spend the necessary time & resources growing the skillsets and modernizing the practices for each functional team within the company.
    - Prioritize a more philanthropic customer-facing brand mission for employees to be invested in & working towards.
    - Don't just seek to "maintain" the great culture as Balsam scales - look for more ways to adapt and grow the culture in new ways.

"Very Specific Culture; Not One Size Fits All"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Balsam Brands full-time

Pros

- Positive environment for the most part
    - Good face time with exec team for ICs
    - CEO is great and takes a personal interest in all employees' success

Cons

- Work culture can veer towards "too happy"
    - Performance review feedback was mostly personality-based, not performance-based
    - Support from and quality of middle management varies a lot
    - Poor compensation/benefits

Advice to Management

- Be more supportive of career development of ICs and recognize that people will not work at BB forever
    - Don't take things so personally and de-emphasize the "ultra-happy" work culture, which makes it even more stressful to have a bad day at the office

6. "Sales"

I worked at Balsam Brands full-time

Pros

I liked the people and community

Cons

No major cons for me

7. "Growing company, unique culture"

I have been working at Balsam Brands full-time

Pros

Caring team, unique culture, career opportunities

Cons

Holiday seasonality can be intense

8. "Great Company!"

I have been working at Balsam Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Balsam Brands is a fun company to work at. Wonderful culture and there is opportunity to grow your career. The higher management appreciates everyone. The CEO, Thomas Harman basically know all his employees.

Cons

It could really get stressful during the busy season (Sept - Jan) but the company provide several perks during the season like subsidized coffee in nearby coffee shops.

9. "Fun Seasonal Job"

Former Employee - Sales in Burlingame, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Burlingame, CA

I worked at Balsam Brands (Less than a year)

Pros

Growing company so possible room for growth.

Cons

Some management were difficult at times.

Advice to Management

Be more direct about your expectations to sales associates.

"Life-Work Balance"

I have been working at Balsam Brands full-time

Pros

A perfect balance between a fun company culture, and a devoted team striving to succeed every day. I believe the most important thing in a job is to enjoy going to work, at Balsam Brands I have enjoyed each and every day. Great company benefits and a focus on personal development.

Cons

The growing pains of a start up company are no longer, as Balsam Brands is making a name for itself. The adjustment to make is working for a company with high seasonality.