Balsam Brands Reviews

Current Employee

Great Company, Growing Pains

Feb 23, 2021 - Strategist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company walks the talk - has defined values and follows them, starting to put emphasis on ensuring processes and systems are efficient

Cons

Silos, Communication struggles, technology is having to catch up

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Growing Pains, but a Good Company

Jan 2, 2021 - Analyst in Boise, ID
    Business Outlook

Pros

I worked at Balsam Brands for over a year. Among the great things at BB were my co-workers, in-season perks, WFH Wednesdays (before COVID), opportunities to grow and build the company. The Learning and Development team also did a fantastic job with regards to training team members as it relates to management, and personal development and understanding. I can't stress enough how great most of my collogues were to work with. I worked primarily with our Boise, Dublin, and Manilla teams, and it was wonderful to have an opportunity to work with them. I genuinely miss having the opportunity to work at the office and having lunch with my teammates. Despite the limited PTO, the work life balance was great and I was always able to take time that I needed.

Cons

Among the biggest "cons" would be the disconnected teams and long term vision. All companies have issues and looking back I think these could easily be solved with focus from leadership. With regards to disconnected teams this could have been solved with a better overall understanding across functions/teams of an individual's role, assigned projects, and workload. While there is a PMO, there isn't the coordination or project visibility that I would expect to see when people are juggling operational issues and feature/horizon projects across the enterprise. This leads to ambiguity and self prioritization of work that seems like it may or may not have a place in the value stream. PM's and coordinators do a great job, but having project charters/visions/kickoffs would add some guard rails. As far as the long term vision, the company does a good job of having town halls to communicate what's going on across the company. However, the goals and vision are more abstract than I would have liked to see. This causes ambiguity and leads to interpretation of what is important for the company to move forward.

2 people found this review helpful
  3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Awesome company with so many great people

Oct 3, 2020 - Operations in Redwood City, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I work with wonderful and interesting people on my team and across teams. We also have caring executives. Balsam has been a great place to start and grow my career. Also, lots of employee friendly decisions have been made during these strange times which have been nice for everyone.

Cons

Some internal growing pains as the team has gotten a lot bigger.

4. 1.0
    Former Employee

Great company...5 years ago

Oct 1, 2020 - Site Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Great co-workers, health benefits and great CEO

Cons

-Aloof & disconnected management -Lack of inaction on and failure to listen to serious issues within individual teams -Poor HR structure, development and execution -Siloed departments despite interdepartmental "efforts" to effectively collaborate -Extremely slow execution from ideation to creation - several roadblocks, namely ego-driven management -Lack of consideration for employee point of view over management (he said/she said) -Questionable hiring practices -High school petty environment with management speaking behind subordiantes backs and creating hostile environments

Balsam Brands Response

Thank you for leaving a review. We appreciate receiving feedback, both positive and constructive. As the company continues to grow, we constantly review our structure and explore opportunities to provide better employee experience. If you’d like to share anything further about your specific experience, we encourage you to reach out to our internal people team. Thank you, Balsam Brands

5. 3.0
    Former Employee

Bad Management

Jul 19, 2020 - Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

People are friendly. The company was growing so you have opportunities to take up lots of challenges.

Cons

The management team is not capable of managing the growth of the company. Hiring new people in manager level that are not competent and a good fit to culture. Lots of long-term employees are not capable of being in the leader position but got promoted anyway just because they had been with the company for a long time.

4 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

AWESOME Company to work for!

Oct 14, 2019 - Marketing in Boise, ID
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing culture and Balsam has a way of always putting their people first. They truly care about the individuals and are always working to improve and innovate. I've never worked in a place where you are encouraged to show up as your authentic self. It's an incredible place to work and everything I read prior to joining Balsam about the culture, people and work environment hold true.

Cons

none - it really is a great place to work

7. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great company for creating the career path you want

Dec 2, 2019 - Content Analyst in Boise, ID
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very supportive of personal career goals and growth. A welcoming group and very small company feel despite the rapid growth.

Cons

With so much growth things are always shifting and changing, so you have to be adaptable.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Awesome Company to Work For

Mar 15, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, Work/Life Balance, Benefits/PTO Offerings, Flexible Hours

Cons

Downtown Boise Parking is difficult

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Wonderful people, leadership, and workplace

Aug 21, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Full of ambitious, intelligent, and caring employees: this starts at the top with extremely approachable upper management who care about those they work with, not just the bottom line. - Fun & fast environment: with such a seasonal business there is definitely a 'try to keep up' pace at certain times of year, but the culture shines in these moments. The team keeps it lighthearted & provides extra perks/events to balance the seasonality. - Excellent CEO: Extremely smart & humble, genuinely gets to know you, & goes out of his way to help those around him be fulfilled working for Balsam. - Growing quickly: growth has been swift, both in the size of the business & the employee count. The direction of the business is clear, and care is taken to maintain the vibrant culture (although there are naturally growing pains!). - Talented, likeminded coworkers: the hiring standard is very high, both from a skillset and cultural fit perspective. It's very easy to collaborate cross functionally - employees are down to earth but very talented at what they do.

Cons

- A premium on time: there's a lot going on, and at times the focus on executing seasonal growth can hinder proper management attention towards personal & professional growth.

5 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Mac is the best leader I've ever worked with

Jun 5, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Business Outlook

Pros

Culture. The company puts a strong emphasis on friendship with your coworkers. There's a plethora of opportunities to get to know the people you work with, even with the office locations being separated. Everyone in the company seems to be extremely smart and driven. People work hard but at the same time are very chill and understanding. By far the best part of working for Balsam is Mac Harmon. He's an incredible leader and leads by example, he puts a lot of trust in his employees and genuinely cares about them. I've never met a more charismatic people person in my life.

Cons

Part of the extremely smart and driven side is stubbornness. Because they've analyzed the situation or have a good sense of the idea, many individuals seem to not want to accept other solutions. Mac seems to be handing off the reins more and more; this is obviously necessary because of the size/growth of Balsam, but it seems to be hurting the company. It feels as though maybe he's focusing on the wrong parts as a leader.

3 people found this review helpful