Balsam Brands Reviews

3.9
Balsam Brands CEO Thomas Harman
Thomas Harman

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "first culture(in 9 reviews)
  • "People are friendly.(in 7 reviews)
  • "great benefits and in season perks(in 6 reviews)
  • "Company Culture: All that is said about the company's culture really is true, coworkers are extremely friendly and they care about your professional life as well as your personal one.(in 3 reviews)
  • "wide paid time off)(in 3 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great company to work for!

Mar 15, 2022 - Recruiter in Boise, ID
    Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome culture with great support from leadership.

Cons

Processes can be a little funny.

2. 5.0

Great Experience

Feb 18, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Honest, fair, friendly, modern, fun

Cons

Only con is that it's located in California

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Nice company to work for

Nov 23, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've enjoyed working for Balsam Brands for the last few years. Great benefits and nice people across the globe, and I've been able to grow my career. There have been lots of good perks as well recently, including mental health days and some unexpected money every month to spend on personal needs during the pandemic.

Cons

None really. There have been some challenges as the company has gotten bigger, but that's a normal thing to happen.

3 people found this review helpful
  4. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

"Create joy" with them, likely at the expense of your own.

Nov 18, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Good health benefits - Shutdown week (one week of company-wide paid time off) - Relatively flexible work hours - Fun activities and perks in season

Cons

- Toxic positivity. The "fun" culture is forced and there's a lot of pressure to be upbeat and unique, which can be especially difficult if you're generally introverted and/or just having an off day. - Below average pay and lackluster yearly raises. They try to make up for it with "perks" like coffee, treats, t-shirts. Though those things are nice, they just miss the mark and don't pay the bills. - Long hours, not just during the peak holiday season, but nearly all year long. - Overworked staff makes for strained working relationships and poor mental health. It's difficult to get the help you need hired, and when they do hire, it takes forever. - Poor outlook on job security. - VERY meeting heavy. Makes it difficult to execute on all the work you're being handed when you're in meetings all the time. Contributes to long work hours. - Roles and responsibilities team members are often unclear, and team members often have way more on their plate than they can handle. - Leadership wants to gloss over problems rather than address them, mainly when it comes to pay, WFH benefits and general resource scarcity. Often times they would blame COVID for lowered employee satisfaction scores, and while it likely played a role, it was not a sole factor. Blaming it on such made it feel they were ignoring what employees were saying. - General politics and a lot of gossip culture. Promotions are subjective and poorly handled.

10 people found this review helpful
  5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Working at Balsam Brands

Sep 27, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great working atmosphere. Great Culture

Cons

Pay not as competitive Politics

6. 1.0

Used to be good

Oct 21, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

* The Benefits are pretty good

Cons

* Low Salaries * Toxic leadership * Unrealistic timelines * Long hours all year * Constant office politics * No job security

7. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Nice People Not Great Pay

Sep 6, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Business Outlook

Pros

Super nice people. I made some great friends here. Benefits are great as well.

Cons

Compensation, promotion structure, and yearly raises are lacking.

8. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Growing Pains, but a Good Company

Jan 2, 2021 - Analyst in Boise, ID
    Business Outlook

Pros

I worked at Balsam Brands for over a year. Among the great things at BB were my co-workers, in-season perks, WFH Wednesdays (before COVID), opportunities to grow and build the company. The Learning and Development team also did a fantastic job with regards to training team members as it relates to management, and personal development and understanding. I can't stress enough how great most of my collogues were to work with. I worked primarily with our Boise, Dublin, and Manilla teams, and it was wonderful to have an opportunity to work with them. I genuinely miss having the opportunity to work at the office and having lunch with my teammates. Despite the limited PTO, the work life balance was great and I was always able to take time that I needed.

Cons

Among the biggest "cons" would be the disconnected teams and long term vision. All companies have issues and looking back I think these could easily be solved with focus from leadership. With regards to disconnected teams this could have been solved with a better overall understanding across functions/teams of an individual's role, assigned projects, and workload. While there is a PMO, there isn't the coordination or project visibility that I would expect to see when people are juggling operational issues and feature/horizon projects across the enterprise. This leads to ambiguity and self prioritization of work that seems like it may or may not have a place in the value stream. PM's and coordinators do a great job, but having project charters/visions/kickoffs would add some guard rails. As far as the long term vision, the company does a good job of having town halls to communicate what's going on across the company. However, the goals and vision are more abstract than I would have liked to see. This causes ambiguity and leads to interpretation of what is important for the company to move forward.

3 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great Company, Growing Pains

Feb 23, 2021 - Strategist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company walks the talk - has defined values and follows them, starting to put emphasis on ensuring processes and systems are efficient

Cons

Silos, Communication struggles, technology is having to catch up

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Awesome company with so many great people

Oct 3, 2020 - Operations in Redwood City, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I work with wonderful and interesting people on my team and across teams. We also have caring executives. Balsam has been a great place to start and grow my career. Also, lots of employee friendly decisions have been made during these strange times which have been nice for everyone.

Cons

Some internal growing pains as the team has gotten a lot bigger.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 53 Reviews

Balsam Brands Reviews FAQs

Balsam Brands has an overall rating of 3.9 out of 5, based on over 61 reviews left anonymously by employees. 87% of employees would recommend working at Balsam Brands to a friend and 55% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -9% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Balsam Brands employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Balsam Brands. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

87% of Balsam Brands employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Balsam Brands 4.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.1 for culture and values and 3.6 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Balsam Brands to be senior leadership, career development, benefits and the cons to be management, compensation.

Popular Careers with Balsam Brands Job Seekers