KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Balsam Brands

Engaged Employer

Balsam Brands

Add a Review

Balsam Brands Employee Reviews about "season"

Updated Nov 18, 2021

Found 4 of over 63 reviews

4.1
Balsam Brands CEO Thomas Harman
Thomas Harman

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great culture and work environment(in 11 reviews)
  • "People are friendly.(in 7 reviews)
  • "great benefits and in season perks(in 5 reviews)
  • "CEO is great and takes a personal interest in all employees' success(in 3 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "season"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Growing Pains, but a Good Company

Jan 2, 2021 - Analyst in Boise, ID
    Business Outlook

Pros

I worked at Balsam Brands for over a year. Among the great things at BB were my co-workers, in-season perks, WFH Wednesdays (before COVID), opportunities to grow and build the company. The Learning and Development team also did a fantastic job with regards to training team members as it relates to management, and personal development and understanding. I can't stress enough how great most of my collogues were to work with. I worked primarily with our Boise, Dublin, and Manilla teams, and it was wonderful to have an opportunity to work with them. I genuinely miss having the opportunity to work at the office and having lunch with my teammates. Despite the limited PTO, the work life balance was great and I was always able to take time that I needed.

Cons

Among the biggest "cons" would be the disconnected teams and long term vision. All companies have issues and looking back I think these could easily be solved with focus from leadership. With regards to disconnected teams this could have been solved with a better overall understanding across functions/teams of an individual's role, assigned projects, and workload. While there is a PMO, there isn't the coordination or project visibility that I would expect to see when people are juggling operational issues and feature/horizon projects across the enterprise. This leads to ambiguity and self prioritization of work that seems like it may or may not have a place in the value stream. PM's and coordinators do a great job, but having project charters/visions/kickoffs would add some guard rails. As far as the long term vision, the company does a good job of having town halls to communicate what's going on across the company. However, the goals and vision are more abstract than I would have liked to see. This causes ambiguity and leads to interpretation of what is important for the company to move forward.

3 people found this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

good place to start career

Dec 24, 2021 - Analyst in Manila, Manila
    Business Outlook

Pros

-great benefits and in season perks -flexible work, life/work balance -career development, and upgrading skills

Cons

-low pay -excessive work especially during christmas season

Be the first to find this review helpful
  3. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

"Create joy" with them, likely at the expense of your own.

Nov 18, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Good health benefits - Shutdown week (one week of company-wide paid time off) - Relatively flexible work hours - Fun activities and perks in season

Cons

- Toxic positivity. The 'fun' culture is forced and there's a lot of pressure to be upbeat and unique, which can be especially difficult if you're generally introverted and/or just having an off day. - Below average pay and lackluster yearly raises. They try to make up for it with 'perks' like coffee, treats, t-shirts. Though those things are nice, they just miss the mark and don't pay the bills. - Long hours, not just during the peak holiday season, but nearly all year long. - Overworked staff makes for strained working relationships and poor mental health. It's difficult to get the help you need hired, and when they do hire, it takes forever. - Poor outlook on job security. - VERY meeting heavy. Makes it difficult to execute on all the work you're being handed when you're in meetings all the time. Contributes to long work hours. - Roles and responsibilities team members are often unclear, and team members often have way more on their plate than they can handle. - Leadership wants to gloss over problems rather than address them, mainly when it comes to pay, WFH benefits and general resource scarcity. Often times they would blame COVID for lowered employee satisfaction scores, and while it likely played a role, it was not a sole factor. Blaming it on such made it feel they were ignoring what employees were saying. - General politics and a lot of gossip culture. Promotions are subjective and poorly handled.

12 people found this review helpful
  4. 1.0
    Former Contractor

Stock Associate

Sep 29, 2017 - Anonymous Contractor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Easy access to warehouse in Burlingame (parking). That's about it.

Cons

Uncomfortable, regimented environment. Four 'managers' for 10 employees was overwhelming. Management follows you to the restroom if it's not within the break or lunchtime. Company issued lockers are opened and searched while you are on the job without a reason. Management is disorganized with the schedule and daily objectives to stock and prepare the warehouse for the holiday season. No safety training on how to properly use ladders or handle heavy boxes which is a set up for an injury. Never provided gloves or a mask to handle chemically treated artificial Christmas trees and other products. They never tell you in the interview how hard the physical work will entail, including a very hot warehouse environment with sparse ventilation.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Balsam Brands Response

Warehouse Management Team

Thank you for your feedback. While the stock and retail positions are not for everyone, we do our best to make working in the Balsam Hill Outlet a rewarding experience while meeting the needs of the customers and company. To that end, we begin and end each work day with a full staff meeting to discuss goals, performance, and assignments. Working together and communication is a vital part of the job to ensure that all duties are properly covered while employees are taking advantage of their regular break times in the back office break room. We take safety and training very seriously at the Balsam Hill Outlet. We have an extensive training program in place, and any questions and concerns are addressed at the earliest possible time. We appreciate your concerns, and have revisited our practices to make sure we are meeting the standards we set for ourselves. Thank you, The Balsam Brands Warehouse Management Team

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 English Reviews