Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

Banfield Pet Hospital President Brian Garish
Brian Garish

1,172 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I enjoy the perks for my pets, such as free wellness plans through Banfield and the Royal Canin and Petsmart discounts" (in 146 reviews)

• "Working with animals is always fun" (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • "The work life balance is stressful because there are so many animals in the emergency room where I work" (in 57 reviews)

• "long hours, high turnover for staff" (in 89 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company!"

Current Employee - Practice Manager in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Practice Manager in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company is very patient focused. A lot of support available within the organization. A lot of room for advancement in different areas. Get to make a difference in our clients and pets lives everyday!

Cons

No major cons. As with any job in healthcare there are going to be some stressful moments but planning ahead and taking advantage of the resources that are available can prevent this.

Advice to Management

Any company that is growing quickly will have some challenges, continuing the focus on our patients and staff will enable us to continue to embrace the growth in the banfield family that is happening

Banfield Pet Hospital Response

Mar 15, 2018 – Banfield Pet Hospital

We appreciate you providing your perspective, especially the advice to senior management. As you mentioned, we are an organization rapidly expanding, and with that, comes growing pains. We're glad... More

2. "Preventative medicine at it's finest!"

Current Employee - Veterinary Technician, RVT in Rossford, OH
    Current Employee - Veterinary Technician, RVT in Rossford, OH

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- High quality preventative medicine is the main focus.
    - Steady client flow with little downtime.
    - Optimum wellness packages are customized for each pet every time. There is no "cookie cutter" care for all patients.
    - All surgery and anesthetic protocols are reviewed by the DVM for each individual pet every single time to provide the utmost quality of medicine.
    - Discounts and benefits including a PetSmart discount, health, life, dental, vision and 401k plan to name a few.
    - Competitive hourly wage for paraprofessionals (credentialed technicians.)
    - Communication is paramount and several steps are taken daily to make sure everyone is on the same page.
    - The training program is thorough and you are never asked to do anything you are not comfortable with .
    - Unlike other hospitals, you are guaranteed a lunch break (1 hour) and every effort is made to get you out on time everyday.
    -Banfield provides associates with many tools and training modules to help new associates have a smooth onboarding.
    -State of the art digital xray and blood machines for fast, accurate lab results.

Cons

- The biggest complaint is the PetWare software. It can be daunting and confusing until you get used to it.
    - If you are uncomfortable having someone above you tell you what goals and expectations are for the week/month/etc. this might not be the place for you. It is a nationwide corporation so changes that come down the pipe happen nationwide.
    - Some may be intimidated by the fast paced environment. There may be in-room exams, drop off appointments and surgeries all happening at the same time. There may be 1, 2 or even in some instances 3 Dr.'s at the practice at a time. (You have to keep up with the fast pace!)

Advice to Management

I personally have no complaints about field leadership. I believe they are doing a great job listening to employees and they absolutely make everyone feel like they have a voice and what they have to say matters. When field leadership visits our hospital, we always come up with productive and new ways to handle issues.
    I say keep it up and we will keep rocking it!

Banfield Pet Hospital Response

Apr 30, 2018 – Banfield Pet Hospital

We appreciate your commitment to our practice and enthusiasm for the work that we do every day! Thank you for your review and feedback.

--- Banfield Pet Hospital

3. "Preventative care focused."

Current Employee - Veterinary Technician in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Veterinary Technician in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Consistent workflow, standardized treatments, few emergency cases. Lots of new, updated equipment. Protection and support from the corporate office. Great benefits for your own pets. Option to transfer locations if you move. Great retirement packages.

Cons

Sometimes boring and too scripted. No career advancement. Lots of sales and sale pitches. Don't get see many complex cases. No exotics. Lots of turn over and new staff. Management is stretched thin. No consistent schedule. Work with a lot of very young, recent, green, graduates.

Advice to Management

Really need to focus on quality over quantity. The pushing of sales and numbers makes us feel like we are more a store than a hospital. There need to be incentives to work hard and consistent staffing, scheduling, and leadership.

4. "Can lead to a stable but dead-end job"

Pros

There's always room for moving up after a couple of months ( six min.) but because of high turnover rate. If you look to work in this trade as a career then you can expect a good, stable position and bonuses if you reach a certain profit monthly or biweekly. Overtime available and usually the norm. Packages are an affordable way of being able to help anybody afford pet healthcare (including spay/neuter and dental cleaning) that is a mandatory responsibility when getting a pet.

Cons

If it's independently owned, forget about it following normal business ethics and standards. You can end up with poor management that refuses to do any communication whatsoever (and eventually commit pay/salary fraud) and a greedy, self-centered boss that creates an overworked and underappreciated environment with a toxic culture to get in his good books. High turnover rate means current working employees are overworked to the bone and have to cooperate with the head veterinarian's pace while working with a large volume of clients. If there is short staff then not all services can be given that the plans offer (i.e. appointments have to be made instead of walk-in basis for plan members even though they have priority status which can lead to a lot of frustration all around). Forget about talking to HR or corporate, cause they are practically non-existent or turn a deaf-ear to patterns of complaints or high turnover.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to warning signs. High turnover rates means more money is being lost in the hiring process and more time being wasted having to train someone new every 6 months. The frequent changes in staff is obvious to the consumer/clientelle and gives an atmosphere of mistrust and frustration.

5. "Hard to advance."

Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great flexibility with scheduling, I have loved my coworkers. Also the ability to work (usually) in a nice updated facility, ability to ask for and get raises.

Cons

It is hard to advance, the days can be very busy, there are aggressive clients, they start you out a low pay and don't give raises without employees pretty much begging for one.

Advice to Management

I would advise that you stop hiring people from outside, and look for people within your company that actually really want to succeed within Banfield.

6. "Banfield pet hospital"

Former Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Easley, SC
    Former Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Easley, SC

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellant benefits, good pay, management and coworkers were fantastic.

Cons

Long hours, open 7 days a week

Advice to Management

Spend more time paying attention to employee happiness and wellfare, work/life balance can be difficult

7. "Veterinarian Technician"

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital part-time

Pros

Clients always so grateful you helped their pets. You are allowed three plans at a very discounted rate and you are able to make connections with veterinarians.

Cons

Work load is very heavy for little pay. Only close twice a year so they can make you work for any holiday thats important to you.

Advice to Management

Pay what people deserve to get paid

8. "Not a bad place to work"

Former Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Portland, OR

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have Good benefits and time off

Cons

There is a Slow moving corporate structure

"Veterinary Assistant"

Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Pay ok because of recently made changes. Moderately flexible scheduling. Easy to transfer to other locations nationwide, so moving isn't necessarily an issue.

Cons

Experience is dependent on the location. High turnover rate. Great teams will be established but never last long. The good employees are usually the first to leave for better opportunities. Practice managers are usually the driving force behind this. Most are thrown into their position with little training. The main focus of management is to drive numbers and bring in more pets, usually not taking into account the flow of the day and the sacrifice to quality medicine that has to be made in order to see that volume. This is driving customer satisfaction into the ground.

Also, we are expected to work long hours but are not allowed any overtime. So we were often left short staffed because people would be sent home to avoid overtime.

Advice to Management

Provide better training to managers. Listen openly to parastaff. Help managers understand what can realistically be seen in a day in order to facilitate more appropriate scheduling of appointments. By doing so, clients will have a clearer understanding of what to expect and therefore drive higher quality medicine and higher client satisfaction.

I have seen many changes in my almost 8 years with this company. Some great, some not so much. I feel like Banfield is finally on the right track as far as benefits and trying to take better care of their employees. They must remember, however, that the staff at the hospital level is the foundation of the company, and without a strong foundation to support it, the structure will eventually collapse.

10. "Banfield Vet Assistant"

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital part-time

Pros

I've worked with staff at 4 different clinics and overall Banfield has a friendly work environment with high standards for pet care. Great company to gain experience from with excellent equipment!

Cons

I worked with some great practice managers, but some managers are inexperienced and lack efficient managerial skills. This greatly decreased my overall happiness at my last clinic and could be addressed with more adequate training for managers. Pay is also quite low, though this is an issue with veterinary assistants/ technician pay at many clinic and not a Banfield specific complaint.

Advice to Management

Provide Practice Managers with additional training- improves efficiency and employee moral!

Showing 1,172 of 1,190 reviews