Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brian Garish

1. Featured Review

"Great for hands-on experience!"

Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Braintree, MA
    Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Braintree, MA

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A very hands-on experience; I am given the opportunity to learn how to take radiographs, insert IV catheters, and execute blood draws. This job has also given me great customer handling skills. Additionally, arranging my work schedule to fit my personal life has been a cinch so long as I make certain requests far enough in advance.

Cons

No cons in mind so far

Advice to Management

none

Banfield Pet Hospital Response

May 14, 2017 – Banfield Pet Hospital

We are delighted to hear about the new skills you learned working at Banfield. We are equally thrilled that you have found a way to manage work/life balance by being proactive in working out your ... More

"Good starting area"

Current Employee - Pet Nurse in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Pet Nurse in Northbrook, IL

Pros

It is a job. With full-time employment you will receive free vet care for 3 pets after working there for 3 months.

Cons

It really depends on the Dr. you work for cause even though you have other management such as an Office Manager and a Director of Pet Nursing, the Dr. wants "their" hospital run a certain way. The Dr. I work for rude and wants me to go and present an estimate before the dog is even seen by the doctor. Banfield has a nice idea where it is a chain, so if one hospital is low on nurses or even supplies, you should be able to call another one and say, "Hey I need help." However the hospitals are ALWAYS short staffed and consistently run out of products. So if you want to work your ass off as a vet tech to get the experience, go for it (such as me)BUT if you have experience find another place. I am already worn out after 3 months of working here. I am making 11.15 with a bachelors....bad economy!!!

Advice to Management

Higher more people. Let the management do what they should do. Give better salaries.

"Banfield in Wesley Chapel is garbage."

Former Employee - Client Service Coordinator in Wesley Chapel, FL
    Former Employee - Client Service Coordinator in Wesley Chapel, FL

Pros

Great place to work if you love animals and there are many incentives and bonuses given to ensure your productivity and efficiency. You receive commission for selling the health care plans and you sometimes receive production for providing services.

Cons

Incompetant management, lousy hours and clients, you sometimes have to hide the fact that you are due for raises or bonuses to avoid having your hours cut. I had to hide the fact that I completed my Bachelor's Degree out of fear of losing hours because my manager did not want to pay me what I was supposed to receive according to the company pay scale.

Advice to Management

If you want your hospital to succeed, treat your workers with respect and they will pass that on to the client. Treat your employees like some sort of interchangeable part and you will get lousy productivity.

"inconsistent"

Current Employee - PetNurse in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - PetNurse in Dallas, TX

Pros

can be one of the most rewarding positions, but satisfaction as well as pet care varies widely by location

Cons

everything from work/life balance to pet care vary widely from location to location

Advice to Management

promote from within, return to practice of having all new hires into mgmt from outside of the company, spend time training in all positions at a hospital, reestablish regional training hospital locations, value doctors and individual team members

"STAY AWAY"

Current Employee - PetNurse in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - PetNurse in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

If you love animals, you get to do the job you want, provided it is within Banfield Protocols.

Cons

Advancement is non existent for qualified individuals, especially after a recent "re-working" of the available positions.
    If someone deserves to be fired for behavior or performance issues, it takes FOREVER!! And the rest of the staff is left picking up the slack.
    Good doctors are hit or miss, since nearly every doctor that can't get a job elsewhere can probably get hired at Banfield.
    Pay scales are standardized. A person with years of experience will begin at the same rate as a highschool kid trying to get a first job.
    In all, my experience with Banfield has been a disappointment, and I cannot wait until I am hired elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Give credit to those that deserve it, and dismiss those that don't.

"Banfield Animal Hospital not what it is cracked up to be..... good Idea not so good management..."

Current Employee - Pet Nurse in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Pet Nurse in Southfield, MI

Pros

The love of the Animals and the chance to work with great Doctors....

Cons

The corporate part of this company needs to get into the field more to remind them why they became Dr's of Animals (most of the main managent are Veteinarians went Corporate management)..... and they would see why they can't hold onto good Employees and customers..... They schedule 38 hrs a week and send people home everyday...Trying to keep labor rate at 18% There is know way to run efficiently and the employees end up with cut hours most of the time to 25-30 a week... for very low pay in the first place... I wish I would have never joined this team but because of Jobs here in Michigan I am stuck... I have lost my Home due to Hours and lack of...

Advice to Management

The corporate part of this company needs to get into the field more to remind them why they became Dr's of Animals in the first place (most of the main managent are Veteinarians went Corporate management)..... and they would see why they cant hold onto good Employees and customers.....

"DO NOT work for Banfield!! Employees are extremely underappreciated and horribly underpaid for all the work you do!"

Former Employee - PetNurse in Suwanee, GA
    Former Employee - PetNurse in Suwanee, GA

Pros

NONE, this is a terrible company to work for

Cons

Management is terrible, Do your research: Banfield is known for overcharging people for their services. Doctor's push PetNurses to sell sell sell expensive services to clients. It is not about the quality of care, Banfield is about the quantity! They also mistreat animals, so if that is something you want to be a part of then this is the company for you.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect!

"Very disappointing, the company is still trying to find its feet."

Former Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Wilmington, DE

Pros

Great small work environment for certain people.

Cons

Lack of authority, miscommunications from field leadership.

Advice to Management

Delegate.

"Nice for temporary Work"

Former Employee - Pet Counselor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Pet Counselor in Houston, TX

Pros

nice employees, gain new experiences

Cons

no advancement, tedious work, hard clients

Advice to Management

work/life balance

"A slave house"

Current Employee - PetNurse in Austell, GA
    Current Employee - PetNurse in Austell, GA

Pros

Get to work with animals and learn veterinary medicine. It is very hard I hear to get into a private practice vet without experience, so taking good people and giving them the chance to learn is great.

Cons

-Very backstabbing, will smile in your face and tell you you are doing well then send you into a room and write you up. I have been written up twice and I only been there 5 months. I was at my previous job for 7 years and got written up maybe 3 or 4 times.

-No team work between the CSC's and the PetNurse's. The CSC think it only takes 5 minutes to do something with a pet when in reality PetNurses work on PET time, not human time, it is just like pediatrics if you think about it.

Advice to Management

Encourage your staff more and quit trying to shove all the responsibility on the nurses.