Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Shift Lead/LVT
    Current Employee - Shift Lead/LVT

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. I've been with Banfield for over 10 years. Great benefits. I have an amazing team I work with.

Cons

It can be stressful like any job.

Advice to Management

There is a lot of opportunities for advancement to management.

2. "Stay away!!! Far away..."

Former Employee - Veterinary Technician
    Former Employee - Veterinary Technician

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- You love your job in the beginning, first few months are great for most people
    - It's experience for your resume
    - Met some nice people
    - Met some great animals

- Wellness plans for your own pets are NOT free, you will see them on your paystub as a type of "income" and you will pay taxes on it regularly.

Cons

- Benefits are OK. Health Care plan is awful unless you like having high deductibles. Pay is garbage compared to the rest of the field.

- Banfield as a company is the fast food restaurant of the vet world. Good place to get your foot in the door and then get the heck out. Metrics that are pushed on the practice are not in the best interest of staff and especially the pets. Doctors can not properly practice due to pushed volume and lack of resources. Turnover in all positions is high. They do not practice what they preach - all they care about is their bottom line, not about mental health of staff or about patient care. Keep in mind that Banfield is owned by Mars Inc. - yes the corporation that does all the chocolate, food, candy and drinks. Banfield is their only service related branch. How they came to own Banfield I don't know... but they clearly have ZERO idea how to run a medical practice. ALL focus is on revenue. I get it - offices need to make a profit, but coming from other medical offices, they should not be run like this. They should stick to production, not service. It's like Coca-Cola or Purdue Farms deciding to run a franchised dental office... just no. Stop.

- Medical quality is suffering due to pushes for higher volume.

- Good luck ever getting anywhere with the company, unless you want to manage down the line, zero room for growth. Most people above Practice Managers have no experience in the medical field.

- If you have a problem, good luck ever getting it resolved. No matter who you complain to, talk to, write notices to - nothing will ever get resolved... even a year later. So either don't waste your time telling anyone about your concerns and get out or take the time to voice your concerns and be prepared for massive frustration.

- Management is non-existent. Be prepared for no management whatsoever. Lack of management created multiple situations resulting in staff turnover and a hostile work environment.

- Be prepared for a brain scramble between feeling a sense of loyalty to the coworkers you like and the need to get away from a corporate company you hate.

- Most of the staff is female. Be prepared for drama. Highschool drama. Lots of cliques.

The CEO of Banfield, Vincent Bradley - awesome guy who actually cared and had a good vision for the company, quit right after Mars expanded to acquire VCA... NOT a good sign. That says a whole heck of a lot.

Advice to Management

What management?

3. "All varied on what hospital team you are with, can great and amazing... or"

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time

Pros

Benefits are great, if you really care about animals

Cons

Schedule, raises, empathy, training, work-life balance

5. "Stepping stone"

Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, decent discount on animal Care, enhances experience, meet new people

Cons

Difficult to move up, minimum raises, very disposable, if not full time benefits are hard to receive, difficult to move from part time to full time

Advice to Management

Please try and treat your bottom employees with respect (vet techs etc.), Give raises they deserve

"Do Not Work Here!"

Former Employee - Receptionist in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro I can think of is getting to be around animals every day. That is the only thing I enjoyed about working here.

Cons

I worked at the Indianapolis location on 86th St. Management and head vet/owner couldn't care less about their staff OR patients. It was all about selling. I was a receptionist for a few months and experienced continuous verbal abuse from the head vet, Dr. Morand. He verbally abused almost everyone there. I was the only receptionist who even cared about the patients, and was in school for veterinary technology. Multiple times I signed up for continuing education classes Banfield offered, and each time, they schedule me to work instead of having one of the other receptionists work. While there were a very small number of people working here who genuinely loved animals, most of them did not and I don't believe Banfield cares about anything other than making money.

Advice to Management

Get out of the pet business if you hate animals so much. Get out of the customer service business if you hate employees and clients so much. If an employee shows a genuine interest in learning, don't push them away.

7. "Practice Manager"

Current Employee - Practice Manager in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Practice Manager in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital (More than a year)

Pros

-work life balance is better than other businesses like it.

Cons

-time in role hinders ability to build business

8. "Overall good"

Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant
    Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, good benefits, great coworkers and manager at current location. Helping pets can be rewarding itself. Some room for advancement, company paid vet tech program (2 year contract). No experience needed when hired, paid training for couple of weeks.

Cons

Low pay for lots of work and sometimes dirty jobs. Lots of pressure from higher management for pet numbers/quota per day. Customer service can be annoying as some clients are very picky.

9. "Growth available"

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Started as reception and the company gave me my education to get RVT license and now I have worked my way to Practice manager.

Cons

I dont fell their pay is competitive enough.

10. "Pet Nurse"

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital part-time

Pros

I loved communicating with the owners and having a great relationship with owners and their pets. The environment was great.

Cons

Cared too much about Wellness packages and trying to promote selling items rather than medicine

11. "Good benefits, not a lot of room for growth"

Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Manassas, VA

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital (Less than a year)

Pros

PTO for part-time, access to health insurance, wellness plans for pets,

Cons

Days can be long, responsibilties will be sprung on you, hospitials are not all ran the same which can be troublesome when filling in other places, not a lot of room for growth