Bank of America Applications Programmer Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bank of America President & CEO Brian T. Moynihan
Brian T. Moynihan

Cons

"Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Applications Programmer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Applications Programmer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Bank takes care of it's associates. Mgrs for the most part work with the associates and have a good team feel.

Cons

Lots of work and a lot is expected of you. Some late nights and weekends are worked. Benefits are reduced every year or costs are raised. Even with that, They are still one of the best companies I've worked for.

2. "Application Devloper"

Current Employee - Vice President/Applications Programmer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Vice President/Applications Programmer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Bank of America (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for any time

Cons

Work pressure is high at some times

3. "Great Job"

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President - Applications Programmer in Plano, TX

I worked at Bank of America (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Salary, excellent benefits and great training.

Cons

I was very happy with the company and have no cons

4. "Your satisfaction depends on your role"

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President - Applications Programmer in Chicago, IL

Pros

If you're working in their Python platform called Quartz, you'll generally be pretty satisfied. The Quartz Core team are generally good people who are open to input.

Cons

You can expect to see senior management change as much as twice a year. Although once every couple of years is typical. Regardless, your manager's manager is rarely around long enough for their plans to really get to an end result. "Work in progress is the silent killer." is the appropriate tech quotable here.

Also, THE SOLUTION TO HAVING FIVE THOUSAND TICKING SYSTEMS IS *NOT* *ANOTHER* TICKETING SYSTEM!!!!! Pick one, make everyone use it. EMEA non-prod changes go in one ticketing system, EMEA prod in another, AMRS non-prod goes into the same one as EMEA's prod, AMRS prod goes into something else. Need a new laptop? That's entirely separate ticketing system. Need to access NAS or SAN from a workstation? That's yet another ticketing system. Need the same NAS or SAN from a QA server? Yup. Different ticketing system. Firewall request? Yet ANOTHER ticketing system and one that requires you to pass training and you better not forget to open the second ticket that works in parallel with the firewall ticket or otherwise you'll have that ticket canceled and you get to wait another 3 weeks while you wait to be told what's wrong with your NEW tickets ........... I could go on.

Advice to Management

Simplify ticketing: To put it politely, what exists now is a hot mess. Additionally, many ticketing systems ask questions that are leaky abstractions. The ticketing system around firewall requests is the perfect example of this. I shouldn't need to know all the technical details of firewall rules just so I can have hosts A, B, and C talk to IPs 1, 2 and 3 over port 8888. That should be exactly the right amount of information for the firewall team to handle the details.

Employee satisfaction, employee satisfaction, employee satisfaction. Why do you think you guys go through so much senior management, BofA? Your managers are unhappy and that attitude trickles down to the employees. Stop worry about the bottom dollar and START worrying about the bottom rung. When everyone on the ladder is happy, they'll put in the extra effort to make rain buckets of cash.

5. "Assistant Vice President, Consultant - Apps Programmer"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President - Applications Programmer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefits and a very good diverse workforce. Very skilled folks that are mostly team players and take pride in their work

Cons

Not a lot of emphasis on work life balance. 50 hour work weeks have been the norm during the good times over the last year.

Advice to Management

Need to know when to push back and set expectations so that workers are not burned out.

"Technolgy Side Review"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President - Applications Programmer in New York, NY

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good investment in technology part of the company

Cons

-Too many management levels now
    -Always moves slower and heavier than all other financial institutions in terms of technology
    -salaries are disappointing for the most part
    -bonus is not-existent

Advice to Management

There is only one way to retain talent - its called keeping them happy - you guys have forgotten how to do that by making the company into a very fat tree.

7. "Application Developer"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President - Applications Programmer in Plano, TX

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Typical corporate environment. Laid-back and relaxing unless there's a quarterly or monthly release scheduled which is almost round the year.

Great vacation policy [4 weeks + 2 weeks sick leaves].

Was great when they had work from home policy.

Cons

Stingy on salaries. Do not pay on par with other companies.

Advice to Management

If you want to retain talent, maybe you need to revise the salary policies.

"Huge bank, different teams may as well be different companies. My team is great, very friendly"

Current Employee - Applications Programmer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Applications Programmer in Charlotte, NC

Pros

The work environment is fantastic in my team. The team members and leaders really care for their colleagues.

Cons

Proprietary technology, unfortunately, means some skills are not marketable.

Advice to Management

Sometimes new employees are overwhelmed by the number of departments, various abbreviations and how they all interact. It will be helpful to provide an overview and context to new employees.

9. "Outsourced"

Current Contractor - Applications Programmer in Chicago, IL
    Current Contractor - Applications Programmer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bank of America as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

* Good Pay
    * Ability to Work from Home on occasion
    * Great downtown location
    * Co-workers are open to new ideas

Cons

* Bank employs a very large number of H-1B's. You will be working with an entire team and treated like a 2nd class citizen
    * Junior developers are hired and put in Senior level positions to architect and develop IT applications resulting in poor quality of code and high maintenance costs.
    * Consultants are hired to train lower-level developers but are not directly assigned working on the architecture and/or developing application. Instead, you are supporting H-1B teams and are given trivial tasks.

Advice to Management

Cost cutting should not be at the application architecture level. Hire skilled Senior level developers for architecture instead.

"It Just Keeps Getting Worst"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President - Applications Programmer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Here's the thing BofA has been through tough times relatively compared even to other banks. I've been seeing perpetual layoffs since the day I started here. That being said I've survived here over four years and actually been promoted twice. I'm not a person who's been stuck or passed over for promotion, so maybe this will add some clarity to where I'm coming from and my full thoughts of the bank. I've gotten a chance to work on really interesting and difficult technology problems. I've received tons of mentorship and support.

+ Professional atmosphere - none of the "brogrammer" non-sense
    + Mentorship - even if the ship around us is burning down lots of talented folks willing to share their knowledge and advice
    + Dysfunction in technology divisions can be an opportunity to shine and distinguish one's self (also an easy way to get burned out and or become cynical)
    + Work from Home

Cons

The bad is really bad at BofA. Career growth can be a mine field. I've had several junior employees come to me about how they get no chance at exposure. Many in the tech divisions are so entirely exhausted from layoffs that they are either actively looking for other jobs or are just going through the motions.

+ Extreme cost cutting. Ever had to wrestle with an executive for $200 to fix production issue (ironically caused cost cutting in server maintenance)?
    + Executive musical chairs. Executive management changes every six months. No direction, confused direction, or misguided direction provided by management during their stints.
    + Work from home / flexible work is being eliminated
    + Career growth is a mine field and is accessible to only the most connected and politically savvy
    + Layoffs are perpetual feature and fear in the tech teams. In my four years, I've personally seen nine large scale layoffs--and that's not hyperbole.
    + Tech team quality has dropped significantly. Sophisticated developers and tech team members are leaving in droves or have already left. The quality of the tech talent left behind post layoffs and attrition is really poor. Lots of unmaintainable, undocumented, no test case, brimming with hacks code bases lying around.
    + Demoralizing environment for big thinking.