Bank of America Reviews in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

Bank of America President & CEO Brian T. Moynihan
Brian T. Moynihan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "No work-life balance when you work 6 days a week" (in 520 reviews)

• "Don't get a lot of support from upper management" (in 452 reviews)

1. "Really good company culture professional team."

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer In Test in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer In Test in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Respect each other. Close independently in the team.

Cons

I do not know if there is any cons.

"Relationship manager"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First off if you don’t need much to be decent at this job, as long as your good with people and sales you’ll be fine. Great benefits and great salary when you have the right team in the right market and the right managers it’s amazing and makes the work life balance worth it (rare though). You get your own office and a fancy plaque that makes you feel good. The company strategy that they put out is smart, more focus on financial planning instead of monotonous servicing. They are in the business of helping our clients.

Cons

theres always 2 sides to a story, while they preach and push forward all these great things they need to purge all of these issues that keep customers away from us Now let me tell you, I’ve worked in multiple locations in multiple states. And unless you have extreme patience just use this job as a means to an end so you can work at a better one. There is a HUGE divide both in clients and in associates alone where people are stuck in there old ways. It leads to a lot of disconnect and miscommunication between associates especially management. They set too many metrics you have to hit. I have to worry about making sure every single aspect of Bank of America is over 100% to goal. I understand I must meet the metrics but I think we forget we are human and Erica hasn’t taken over yet so don’t act as if my job is on the line when I’m 135% in everything else BUT OH NO I DIDN’T HAVE ENOUGH MERCHANT REFERRALS. Another thing that frustrates me is when you do try and put in the effort and struggle every single time to hit everything and even though the location your at doesn’t have the clientele for that business aspect of Bank of America it can limit you to try and get promoted or a raise. Another thing is time, you can get fired if you mistype your time which makes sense but when a HUGE amount of your employees are getting flagged and written up for time tracking (especially your high performing ones) DONT YOU THINK ITS TIME TO SIT DOWN WITH WORKDAY AND GO OVER YOUR BUSINESS AGREEMENT WITH THEM? I don’t get it, this company is a double standard and won’t even pay us good bonuses, I worked so hard to reach the top 2 tiers and I felt like I got paid half than what I put in

Advice to Management

You need to be okay with firing managers, because when you let a toxic culture thrive then no one wants to work for you, no wonder why you’re always so understaffed and always hiring. You don’t make anyone feel like the work they put in is of any value even to the top reps. Give relationships managers more freedom like the FSAs and other partners do. Cause as of now I feel like a glorified assistant.

3. "Great for What It Is"

Current Employee - Relationship Banker in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, hours, and caring coworkers.

Cons

Strict sales culture. Expectedly, attitude and customer tone varies between branches.

"A great company that needs clearer direction."

Former Employee - Financial Center Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Center Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Bank of America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Great benefits, 4 weeks vacations for managers, $5,250/year tuition reimbursement for undergrad, great insurance with lower costs for employees making less than $100k, 401k matching, the list goes on
    -Early closing times, most branches are 9-4 Monday-Thursday
    -The company has many avenues to provide feedback and suggestions for improvement
    -Best mobile and online apps in the industry
    -Bonuses for managers are set up so that if Operations was good, you can still make bonus even if you were short on revenue goals and vice versa
    -Up to date client management software and HR software giving you the ability to add those programs to your resume as most other companies use the same software
    -Learning and networking events are very cool, free access to tons of articles, books and videos online and live to desktop training sessions as well as employee networks that meet in person and over the phone
    -The value of the bank’s products make it easy to recommend valuable solutions to clients
    -Very well structured policies and procedures, and a policy to “stand by” a manager that made a decision that made sense and was well documented, even if it results in a loss to the bank.

Cons

-Reporting structure of the branches, bankers report to a market leader instead of the branch manager, but branch managers are held highly accountable for their results. Branch managers do not have the ability to perform disciplinary action for these associates, meaning behavioral issues could go unaddressed.
    -Hours are nice, but staffing is tight so if you lose a person or someone goes on vacation it makes it very difficult to run the branch
    -Hiring/training process takes forever so if someone quits or gets promoted you might not have a replacement for 6 months
    -Moving from the branch into other lines of business is difficult, there isn’t a lot of interaction between departments and in most cities there aren’t other departments besides branches at all so advancement past branch manager is difficult.
    -Internal audit can be punitive, many months of work is looked through but scoring policy only allows for 3-4 errors to pass, and not passing means additional action planning, potential disciplinary action, and your reputation as a leader becomes damaged.
    -The banking products are quality but some fees are hard to justify to clients.
    -Currently not a great sales process, there should be more structure available for newer sales associates with limited experience. The bank almost seems undecided on how they’d like you to speak with clients, with many local market leaders creating their own processes to help.
    -Not a great reaction to the Wells Fargo scandal, the culture still places a lot of pressure on meeting goals or completing tasks like outbound calling without a lot of resources to help train associates on how to effectively perform.
    -Company culture needs work, the bank has been responding to so much over-regulation and I think they’ve lost sight of what sets Bank of America apart, and in my opinion that is the innovative training and education of the associates. There used to be a lot more pride in taking ownership of situations, solving problems in creative ways, and having strong team atmosphere. Lately it seems there is less focus on teamwork and helping everyone to be the best, and too much focus on competition and meeting metrics.

Advice to Management

Give more power back to the branch managers and hold managers who don’t perform or make poor decisions accountable instead of universally taking away authority.
    Provide more structure and clear training on sales processes.
    Stop trying to get managers to stop talking about goals, unless you stop making goals we have to talk about them, instead focus on skill building and analyzing the opportunity available to help associates see all the opportunity and become successful.
    In recent years, I’ve found that the skill building provided through conference calls or training came along with a message of “here are some easy things you can do to be successful”, and I would roll it out to my team that way. I think that was a mistake, I think we should acknowledge that this job is hard, and being successful will be extremely difficult, but that we know our people can rise to the challenge because we hire only the best.

"Not the best"

Current Employee - Financial Center Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Center Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Maternity/paternity leave and benefits are great!

Cons

Get lost in a sea of people and the general opinion is that you’re replaceable

6. "Great managers, and work enviroment"

Current Employee - DRR in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - DRR in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, very productive work

Cons

Long hours can be very tiring

"It’s a job"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Bank of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits but better are available with other banks. Stable work environment and good mid-level management. Hires quality people so coworkers are usually quality people.

Cons

Typical corporate money mongers. Care more about sales then benefiting clients. Negative account? Oh, take a credit card! Make your life even worse! Coming in to talk about a deceased relative? Sorry, I still have to push products on you and Hard-sell or I’ll be in trouble.

Advice to Management

Show some compassion, caring, and service to all clients. Not just those with more than $50k in their accounts.

"No night shifts Paid holidays"

Former Employee - Sales & Service Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales & Service Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at Bank of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No night shifts
    Paid holidays
    Decent pay

Cons

Unrealistic sales goals. Management constantly threatened to fire employees if they did not increase sales. Customer service did not matter at all, only sales. Causes many customers to be pissed off because management forced us to be so pushy.

Advice to Management

The best way to increase sales in the long term is to provide good customer service, not constantly push products on customers every time they come in.

9. "Hate working here"

Current Employee - Bank Teller in Kyle, TX
    Current Employee - Bank Teller in Kyle, TX

I have been working at Bank of America part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and good starting pay for tellers. 401k retirement plan.

Cons

Understaffed and they don't care about their employees or their customers. They just care about sales.

Advice to Management

Hire more people and treat your employees better.

10. "Moderate experience tempered with unrealistic sales goals that undermine the company's drive to "put the customer first""

Current Employee - Relationship Banker/Digital Ambassador in Georgetown, TX
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker/Digital Ambassador in Georgetown, TX

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good health care plan and benefits and position offers quarterly incentive although it can be tough to qualify due to goals.

Cons

Unrealistic sales goals that contradict the message of always doing what is best for customer each level of management tends to micro-manage

Advice to Management

Trust employees in how you have trained them

Showing 42 of 20,640 reviews