Bank of America Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Bank of America President & CEO Brian T. Moynihan
Brian T. Moynihan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Sometimes it can be difficult work/life balance (in 477 reviews)

• terrible upper management leads to many people leaving the company (in 413 reviews)

1. "AVP, Financial Center Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President, Financial Center Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great salary, discounts, 4 weeks paid vacation for managers, 10 paid holidays and 10 sick days. Fast paced environment, multiple different lines of business so there is plenty of room for advancement. Bonus potential is pretty strong too if you hit your goals. They really have several programs in place to help employees grow with company. To be a successful Financial Center Manager you have to be able to adapt to constant change and have a positive outlook. I would recommend, definitely one of the best banks to work for.

Cons

Staffing at times can be a big challenge. Company is very focused on convenient banking options, ATM, online, mobile banking etc. Unfortunately not all clients are willing to adapt to this ever growing technology. If you can roll with some of the staffing gaps at times then you will be fine.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing, great company overall, not many cons.

"Relationship Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Opportunity to advance-The company is nationwide and can accommodate relocation to another state- Pretty good bonuses for sales positions

Cons

Turnover rate is too high

"Mediocre training coupled with arrogant management makes a funtastic work environment."

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Boston, MA

I worked at Bank of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gives you enough training to get a job at a better bank as well as some contacts which might be useful.

Cons

Pretty much everything else. I don’t think I’ve had much worse “professional” jobs....it’s retail, just with money instead of clothes or TVs.

Advice to Management

If you treat your employees better maybe you’ll get better employees this better management.

4. "Teller to Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Bank of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company provides good benefits for employees

Cons

Staffing is always short, hours are long with no regards to personal time, opportunities limited, upper management is not appreciative, lack of beneficial training

"Social Experiment gone Awry"

Former Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA

I worked at Bank of America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large company with opportunities to do anything you want in Financial Services

Cons

1) Company has become a social experiment worrying more what color, nationality or sexual orientation someone is versus them being competent.
    2) Company is too big - government is right it should be broken up - the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing.
    3) The senior management has become a bubble of incompetence - they keep hiring big money senior execs from consulting firms and laying off the low level employees who actually help customers and do work.
    4)They have forgotten about their customers and employees both of which are the lifeblood of the company.
    5) Operationally the place is a mess their data, systems, processes are a disaster - my last boss called BAC a dumpster fire - he was right.
    6) BAC doesnt like people to know - but they are self insured - BCBS manages their plan but BAC is gunning to make a profit of employees health insurance. The insurance is HORRIFIC - covers nothing high deductibles............

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at the organization - time to make some tough decisions about the direction of the company and which employees actually add value.

"Great company overall, needs to improve people management"

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Bank of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great fringe benefits, world-class training, constant learning and career progression opportunities, workforce diversity

Cons

No work-life balance, sales goals are high and depending on your work location's visibility, the pressure to exceed them is inhumane... which would be sort of fine, except for bad people management (mostly from local managers) - it is tolerated and overlooked for the numbers' sake.

Advice to Management

Your talent is your most precious asset, not your clients. If you treat your best talent well, they'll stay and delight your clients = increased bottom line.

7. "BAMS"

Former Employee - Merchant Services in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Merchant Services in Boston, MA

I worked at Bank of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Freedom to work from home

Cons

very high pressure sales enviroment

Advice to Management

make reasonable goals and retain good sales people

"Financial Solutions Advisor"

Current Employee - Financial Solutions Advisor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Financial Solutions Advisor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great people to work with in my immediate location - they have the right people on the bus for the most part
    reimbursement for training and continuing ed
    managers have been good and leave you alone if you do your job
    compensation is fair
    very good work life balance - work Monday to Friday during bank hours and a few Saturdays per month

Cons

typical corporate environment (bureaucracy)
    compliance is overzealous
    you spend too much time on administrative and not enough time doing what they hired you for: building client relationships and developing new business
    the role is evolving from one where you felt like an advisor and could work with customers ongoing to retain and build relationships to one that is much more focused on banking and widgets.

Advice to Management

do not micromanage- we are professionals and can do our jobs without emails pushing up to make our numbers 3 times per day!

"Bank Of America offers alot of opportunities to help others, learn, and grow!"

Current Employee - Relationship Banker in Boston, MA

Pros

I like that it's such a large company with an extensive reach! Your path is limitless! My passion is in helping others, and that completely aligns with BOA's purpose. Helping financial lives through the power of each connection.

Cons

This position requires you to wear many hats. In a fast-paced environment, that can be stressful. But the training and the "one-team" approach equips all associates to be successful and provide enjoyable client expereinces, even in times of high volume.

Advice to Management

I am a single mother of two who works a second job as a sever, and a third as an uber driver to make ends meet. I would advocate for a pay increase for all positions. But I do see that even in my short time here, there are significant opportunities for growth. Which is another reason I am happy to be apart of the BOA team!!!

10. "Relationship Banker"

Current Employee - Relationship Banker in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits and opportunity to move up

Cons

Not so great pay. Bonuses could be hard to earn depending on branch performance.

Showing 181 of 18,292 reviews