Bank of America Consulting Senior Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 24, 2019

3.7
Bank of America CEO Brian T. Moynihan
Brian T. Moynihan
  1. "excellent compentsation OT is needed"

Former Contractor - Senior .NET Consultant

I worked at Bank of America for more than a year

Pros

good compensation and good colleagues

Cons

Overtime work needed few of the months

Advice to Management

Groom talent

Bank of America2018-05-09
  2. "Ok"

Current Employee - Senior Operations Consultant

I have been working at Bank of America full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits are good, some flexibility to work arrangements

Cons

Underpaid for type and amount of work performed. Current pay is still based upon a percentage increase off of original position that was lower than desired.

Bank of America2019-08-13
  3. "Too busy, dont have time for family"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Bank of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible time, work your own schedule

Cons

Not enough time for family

Bank of America2019-08-09

"BofA Review"

Former Contractor - Senior Consultant in Addison, TX

I worked at Bank of America for less than a year

Pros

Highly structured environment. Very predictable work from one day to the next. Generally good folks at the worker bee level.

Cons

Overly proceduralized to the point where it's difficult to even get simple things done. If you find something that requires an exception to policy, nobody knows where to go to get the exception approved. Because of the calcified operating environment, simple things become monumental tasks. Example of where procedure trumps reason. On one of my Oracle servers, I needed an extra 50 GB of storage to do the required... Oracle upgrade. I requested the additional storage. We decided to meet to discuss the best way to get it. So 10+ people met for over 3 months to figure out how to get the storage as nobody had budget for it. After dozens of meetings, I finally offered to buy it myself and hand the disk drive to the system manager. They said I couldn't get reimbursed for it; I said I didn't care. They said it had to come from an approved vendor; I said I would buy it from one of those vendors. They still refused since there wasn't a policy to guide them on how to proceed. So we had 10+ senior level people and managers meet many times over a 3 month period ($10K in salary costs) to figure out how to add 50 GB of storage (less than $1 of storage) to an existing system. This, to me, is corporate silliness to the max.

Advice to Management

I understand that, as a financial organization, everything is highly regulated. But you need to change the culture and policies to allow those best positioned to make decisions the authority to make those decisions.

Bank of America2018-08-27

"Sr. Compensation Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Compensation Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Bank of America full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Maternity/Paternity Leave, challenging work, equitable total comp package

Cons

lack of innovation, some bad apples, it's still a bank...

Advice to Management

innovate and recognize & remove sub-par managers that drive employees away

Bank of America2017-11-20

"Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Senior Operations Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Bank of America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Amazing benefits, community service driven

Cons

Doesn't show love in terms of raises to existing employees and favors new hires.

Advice to Management

Pay your people what they deserve and turnover will go down

Bank of America2017-11-09
  7. "BAC review from a long time employee"

Current Employee - Lead Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Bank of America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It's a job, keeps food on the table.

Cons

Lots of overtime, little room for advancement, constant downsizing

Advice to Management

Truly treat employees as an asset, not just say it as you push them out the door.

Bank of America2017-10-05

"Laid Off and immediately replaced"

Former Employee - Senior IT Consultant in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Bank of America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits are some of the best in the market. If you are in a niche position you will have innovative freedom and ability to complete tasks unhindered.

Cons

'Cultures' are pushed on everyone with emphasis on innovation and communication. None of which are promoted, nor accepted outside of these training sessions. If you have a new innovative way to do a process you will be shot down from multiple higher levels before it even gets anywhere. Reasoning is that if you developed a better way to do something you will take work away from those that spend lots of time doing ... a task a mundane, slow, and banal way. Stagnation in your role, with no way to move up, is essentially the life in BofA. Ambition is punished. Many people were laid off recently May and June 2017. The year began with substantial gains and the CEO stated that the firm is growing with no risk of lay offs on the horizon. SVP stated the same, especially to production IT environments. This is smoke in your face since over 900 production IT employees were laid off a few months later. My position, as well as two others on my team, was laid off due to a reason of 'staffing reduction'. Not even two weeks later and personnel from another declining team were shifted into these roles, filling the same exact positions and responsibilities. The new personnel have zero experience in the position, need to be severely trained and supervised, and are actually paid more than the prior team members. Does that sound fair or even smart to you? Due to HR incompetence, IT positions that were initially hired in a non-IT campus, such as Chandler, AZ, leave a person with zero ability at chances of being re-hired if they're laid off. HR managers do not and will not contact a manager that has an available IT position at several national sites to determine if Chandler is an option. HR looks at the spec sheet, Chandler is not listed there, and the answer is "no, it's not available in Chandler or Phoenix." We all know that a telecommute position, or a national position, can be done in Chandler or Phoenix - why screw over former workers by allowing your HR people to be so lazy and not in any way assist former employees? BofA states caring, culture, compassion, and understanding, but it is all B.S., especially when you're laid off and HR won't even check to see if a position can be done at another corporate site. Lastly, consider 1% raises to be the norm if you're in the upper specrum of pay for your position. Even if you work more, have more responsibility, the lower staff in your team will receive 3%, 5%, or higher per year while a person with much more experience and responsibility is shunned.

Advice to Management

1. BofA, are you interested in saving money? Laying off people won't do it because the workload with remain the same, and eventually you'll be up to the same spending limit as before due to overtime by associates to perform the functions. The processes and procedures in place need to be reviewed and revised; only then will things become streamlined and time spent on tasks will be reduced. Forget about asking... teams for suggestions; the teams want the work to remain 'dumb' so they could bill you as much and as long as possible to justify their existence. 2. Shake up HR with these IT jobs that have national listings at several sites. Why isn't Phoenix or Chandler on the list? Why won't HR be proactive and even talk to the position manager about this? You laid of hundreds in Phoenix and they have no chance of rehire because HR is incompetent. 3. Don't push culture and work ethic down our throats if even HR, the body that should mostly represent this, won't follow any of it.

Bank of America2017-07-11

"Senior Operations Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Operations Consultant

I have been working at Bank of America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits Medical and matching 401K

Cons

Don't practice what they preach.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach.

Bank of America2016-12-19
  10. "Pretty good company"

Former Employee - Senior Operations Consultant in Newark, DE

I worked at Bank of America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people I worked with, both peers and managers where great.

Cons

Too much red tape to change policies and procedures.

Advice to Management

Be a little more willing to accept ideas from the workers that are in the everyday process. Too many times workers that are in the everyday process are overlooked for individuals who are already "leaders"

Bank of America2016-11-16