Bank of America Customer Service Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

Bank of America President & CEO Brian T. Moynihan
Brian T. Moynihan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "No work-life balance when you work 6 days a week" (in 520 reviews)

• "Don't get a lot of support from upper management" (in 452 reviews)

1. "Collector and CSR"

Current Employee - Collection and Customer Service Representative in Westlake Village, CA

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Company, Outstanding professional team

Cons

difficiculty to grown, very competetive environment

"Terrible Micro Level Management"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Bank of America part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are phenomenal. Excellent medical benefits (also allowed me to have my mom on the insurance), dental, vision, 401k with matching contributions, child care reimbursement, automatic enrollment in preferred rewards, paid holidays, 2 weeks paid vacation, and 2 weeks of paid sick leave.

Cons

- Poor staffing behind teller row (do not be surprised if you left alone to take care of clients inside the center and in the drive up).
    - TERRIBLE incentive bonuses
    - Borderline unethical business practices - staffing hours are cut to encourage digital banking. When people complain about the staff, the bank blames the client for "choosing" to come to the center and they deserve to lose 30 minutes of their day because of their decision to come into a financial center instead of using the ATM.
    - Your success is 100% in the hands of other people (you only get credit if a banker remembers to give you credit. You can only advance or move somewhere else if your manager approves the transfer. If your manager refuses to lose you as a teller, your options are to deal with it or quit)
    - Only the numbers on your scorecard matter; other factors do not matter. I worked at a center that was set to close its doors. The banker was transferred to another financial center so there was nobody there to help clients. I was forced to accept a 0 on my BCR score (40% of my scorecard) and upper management essentially told us, "tough luck, deal with it".
    - Money matters, not people. Sales get helped right away while servicing is referred to the customer service phone number. I've literally seen millions of dollars get pulled due to this mentality.
    - No trust. Bankers and managers get very little freedom when trying to help a clients. Bankers are forced to use algorithms to make decisions such as waiving fees instead of being trusted to make a good decision. Bankers are also frequently assisting clients by having to call another department at BofA.

Advice to Management

LISTEN to your clients and your staff. STOP depending so heavily on algorithms do decide EVERYTHING. Let managers make the best decisions for their financial centers. Your formula won't tell you ACTUAL numbers, merely averages. Managers should choose where to allocate their employee hours, they should be able to decide how much money a financial center needs, and they should be able to do a lot more within the financial center (verifying TPP errors, verifying convenience checks, etc).

Re-evaluate the way CSRs are treated. They're expected to sell, sell, sell and direct traffic to the banker. However, bankers get rewarded quarterly with thousands of extra dollars. They also get credit for walk ins. They also take credit for CSR referrals that originally declined offers but walked in later due to a teller recommendation. CSRs SHOULD get at least 10% of the incentives for every sale they generate. If CSRs didn't sell, bankers/managers wouldn't be getting a lot of their bonuses.

CSRs are also the front line for detecting scams and suspicious activity. They deserve acknowledgement whenever they protect a client. CSRs are also responsible for accurately reporting cash. Your clients and CSRs deserve help so they can properly do their jobs.

Whoever it is that is shoving algorithms down our throats and only rewarding the people who close sales seriously needs to re-discover human relationships on the micro scale. Stop focusing ONLY only on sales. Also focus on CSRs and clients. Choose BAD days to stop in and see the reality of a financial center. Come during the first week, the 15th, on Monday or Friday, or the end of the month.

3. "So far so good"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Carson City, NV
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Carson City, NV

I have been working at Bank of America (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and people working with.

Cons

Makes tellers do sales without any training on sales. Otherwise job title must be changed to customer sales representative instead of service.

"Old systems and stubborn attitudes- cheap leadership"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers nice, pay is alright

Cons

Out-dated software from 15 years ago
    Leadership refusal for any improvements
    Managers are rude and insulting

Advice to Management

Actually listen to your employees
    Get current with this century and upgrade your systems

"Customer service representative"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, FMLA, PTO, BONUSES, BANK HOLIDAY.

Cons

Doesn't pay well for the work.

Advice to Management

Line of businesses should have the same rules

6. "Part Time CSR"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Paterson, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Paterson, NJ

I have been working at Bank of America part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedule as a CSR. Great Benefits. Movement to grow as far high as you would like.

Cons

Sometimes feel like retail. If you dont like speaking to people it may be a problem.

7. "Teller Perspective"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Teller in Plymouth, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Teller in Plymouth, MA

I worked at Bank of America (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits with excellent maternity/paternity leave

Cons

Micromanaged with very little pay for the amount I was entrusted with.

"Call Center Agent- what you expect!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Utica, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Utica, NY

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

15$ a hour, 80 hours sick time, 80 hours vacation paid.
    401k, medical, vision, dental, legal etc. BOA honestly does have a lot of programs for their employees. They know we have a hard job and we are the ones that talk to the customer & make them money. Soo yeah they help us. Oh & you can make extra up ( up to 700$ ) for good performance! So yeah plus overtime! It’s make money! But can become overwhelming so balance is key!

Cons

It’s customer service! That’s a hard job at any company. Customer can be rude, mean, demanding etc! It’s hard to locate help! Pay can be better for the way we are treated. But they honestly do try to help! So everything is okay. I would recommend.

Advice to Management

We need MORE. When we have escalations( when a customer wants a manger), check orders, have questions is hard to get a manger or sca but there already busy! Not that they don’t want to help, were swamped! In return, we get frustrated, they get frustrated and our customers can suffer!

9. "Experience"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Watertown, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Watertown, MA

I worked at Bank of America part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work with nice people.

Cons

Pay is little less than deserved.

10. "Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Bank of America part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The management and Team at my branch were great. The company is inclusive and friendly.

Cons

Little movement to move up. Hard or near impossible to get full time CSR position. Short Staff. High stress to meet goals.

Advice to Management

It is good that you are investing in technology and I understand the process of reducing centers but there should be more help at the center that remain open. Invest more in employment and full time. Improve work life balance it is hard or impossible to call out sick cause centers are ran with a skeleton crew and one person calling out messes up the whole center. Hire more people to avoid this.