Bank of America Merchant Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 20, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Tim Tynan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "This company is very work- life balance focused, with a very driven Leadership Team" (in 25 reviews)

• "Work from home allowed for some" (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Business sales consultant"

I worked at Bank of America Merchant Services full-time

Pros

Partner with retail branches go source leads. Acess to salesforce for all crm lead management. Good systems. Fast signing. All supplies included

Cons

No access to bank systems and sometimes clients won't know account information to get set up otherwise everything is great

"AVP Client Services Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President Client Services Manager in Liberty Lake, WA

I have been working at Bank of America Merchant Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This company is very work- life balance focused, with a very driven Leadership Team. The company provides great benefits including paid vacation, maternity leave, volunteer time, 401K matching to name a few. I have worked for the company for 15+ years and the tenure is long with most employees because they find not only a place of work, but also an extended family.

Cons

Location can be a bit of a drive from Spokane to Liberty Lake, but this is a locational challenge for some, not a company related con.

Advice to Management

Continue gathering feedback from associates and take their front line information to drive key process improvements within the business to continue serving our merchants in a great fashion.

"Overall, I've enjoyed the past year at Bank of America Merchant Services..."

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Bank of America Merchant Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am a corporate employee who works out of the Charlotte office. Experiences likely differ based on department and manager, but I'll speak to my own experience having just passed my one year anniversary at Bank of America Merchant Services. Pros include work flexibility (opportunity to work from home), autonomy for those who want/need it, and a leadership team that generally seems committed to doing the right thing. The essential benefit package is very good and reasonably priced. I work with the best people and have a very good manager. In my opinion, the company does a great job of bringing in solid talent that pulls their weight. There aren't too many employees who just skate by doing the minimum. Again, could differ by team. In a nutshell, the company gets the big things right so I don't have any plans to leave in the immediate future.

Cons

The company has a long way to go to define a company culture, and communicating and demonstrating that culture day to day. Departments feel siloed. This is not your modern millennial-focused company (at least not yet) that gives employees company sweatshirts, fun perks/amenities, or the best technology to work with. At times there is resistance to solutions that are progressive/different from how things have been done in the past. These aspects can be underwhelming. I would also like to see the ability to roll over a portion or all of unused vacation time.

Advice to Management

Continue to stretch what you think is traditional or the norm and aim to be more progressive/innovative. Take more of an initiative to celebrate your employees, more often. Help build pride in working for the company by giving employees company branded swag (sweatshirts, backpacks, etc). Allow for even more work flexibility (the choice of when and where to work), particularly for corporate employees where this is possible. This is the expectation of the modern workforce.

"New role, new rating"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President, Inside Sales Specialist-Client Managed in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Bank of America Merchant Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Since starting with Bank of America Merchant Services, I've been approached by multiple employers to go work for them, including one competing major bank. The industry knowledge you can learn here (if you make the effort to learn it) is invaluable, and there is no better demonstration of that than the fact that competitors are constantly trying to poach talent.

Bank of America Merchant Services is working on making itself a military friendly company, and actively makes efforts to hire vets and transitioning active duty military.

There is an opportunity to make good money working here, and the previous reviews about a constantly changing compensation plan aren't really accurate anymore. The compensation plan changed once in the past year, and there aren't any major changes announced for the next year.

Overall, you can learn a lot that can either help you make more money within the industry (either at Bank of America Merchant Services or a competitor), or open up doors in other industries (banking, lending). The benefits are pretty good, and so is the pay.

Cons

Depending on the department or team you're on, your experiences may be different. The organization is divided into two major segments. Within the two segments, there are sales and support roles. Within sales, there are divisions based on channel and territory. In my previous role, there were a lot of things I didn't care for:
    - Goals within goals
    - Mixed or changing messaging on objectives
    - Behavior goals that were supposed to help achieve revenue goals (the goals that matter), but really were a hinderance
    - Lack of resources (which forces you to have to learn jobs outside of your own)

Within my new role, I don't have those same issues. I'm also fortunate to have a great manager who actively works with me to help me progress in my role and my career. I have access to tools that I need, and if there is something I don't have but need. I just send a request to my manager.

Advice to Management

Don't punish everyone for the mistakes of a few people. If there are problems, identify the problematic elements and address them individually. Also, investing in technology solutions can resolve a lot of the human related errors, and this will lead to increased productivity and better customer experience.

5. "Business Consultant"

I worked at Bank of America Merchant Services full-time

Pros

Remote Position and referral come from the banking centers.

Cons

Management is horrible and unprofessional

6. "Ripe with Opportunity for the Right Person"

Current Employee - Vice President Sales
    Current Employee - Vice President Sales

Pros

Much like a startup, BAMS has gone through some impressive early growth to become the 2nd largest player in the industry, and is now charting the path for their next step. The company is now transforming from a "medium" to "large" company in one of the fastest growing technological spaces, payments. While there are definitely some growing pains(witness the changing of the old guard), this presents huge opportunity for individuals to with the right mindset. Despite the name, this is not a mega corporation where you can come in and coast without repercussions.

Cons

Due to the massive growth, some the processes are either outdated, or non-existent. This can be frustrating, but is changing. Also, as smaller organization, we do not enjoy the comprehensive health and financial benefits that our large partners, First Data and Bank of America do, though they are in line with companies are size.

Advice to Management

Align more with Bank of America Merrill Lynch, as opposed to the constant sales culture of First Data. This will engender more "trust" and future from our clients over the long term.

7. "Business Consultant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coral Springs, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coral Springs, FL

I have been working at Bank of America Merchant Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits (medical, health, dental, 401k), volunteer time off, federal holidays off, no weekends, ramp up money for 6 months

Cons

They turned the office into a call center. The other consultants have there own territories for banking centers. Very tough, hard job. You must have thick skin, take a deep breath & roll your sleeve up every week. Training is a joke and terrible. You learn more when you get out of training by doing the job. Can be stressful at times. Lots of product knowledge involved. If you get a bad territory with bad leads, then it will be hard for you to make your high sales goals. Then, based on your numbers, you will be terminated. Spanish and Caribbean are favored We are doing everything...no customer service department. A lot of work with little commission and low salary. No job security. They started the ramp up money because a lot of new employees that start, then quit.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees doing the job, especially inside. Make inside sales a more organize department. Inside should have there own training. Get rid of banks that's not giving the consultants quality leads. Increase the salary, employees are to underpaid.

"Current Repositioning of the Inside Sales Teams"

Current Employee - ISB in Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - ISB in Palm Beach, FL

Pros

Each change negatively effects the growth of the team, reduces the salary and moral.

Cons

On most levels, all aspects of the position.

Advice to Management

They are part of the problem not the solution.

"Large Corp Support"

I have been working at Bank of America Merchant Services full-time

Pros

Great managers, team environment and patient clients

Cons

No salary merit opportunities in past 5 years, poor support systems that do not work consistently that includes online reporting, chargeback processing and using other support systems for associates and clients alike

Advice to Management

Don't tell associates you want to hear from them and not act, or create façade that looks like you listened but in the end no changes occurred.

10. "Not terrible for a call center"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Liberty Lake, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Liberty Lake, WA

I worked at Bank of America Merchant Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They don't have huge turnover, layoffs seem to be rare.
    In lower management at their call centers, there seem to be a lot of women in leadership positions.
    Feedback is ignored less than typical in an organization this size.

Cons

They don't have much promotion opportunities at lower levels, there is definitely a ceiling even with a college degree specific to opportunities inside the company.
    Low level racism is tolerated if not enforced by lower levels of management.
    It is a call center on it's way out. They don't innovate or are pro-active about technology or early adopters, and are losing business to companies in a similar line of work that do.