Bank of America Merchant Services Sales Reviews | Glassdoor

Bank of America Merchant Services Sales Reviews

Updated Aug 16, 2019

Found 21 reviews

3.6
Bank of America Merchant Services CEO Tim Tynan  (no image)
Tim Tynan
  1. Featured Review

"Great Place to work - Highly Recommend!"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Leader in Miami, FL

I have been working at Bank of America Merchant Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

One of the fastest moving industries - provides sales associates an opportunity at "business ownership", and opportunity to reap what you sow $. Engaged with employees, they listed to feedback and take action. Client centric, evolving technology, GREAT people. Amazing bank partnership.

Cons

Sales is not for everyone: You must be a self-disciplined, organized, person with a HUNGER to compete and succeed, while ALWAYS doing what's right. Put others ahead of yourself - is that a con?? maybe not for YOU! :)

Advice to Management

Keep listening to and putting associates FIRST.

Bank of America Merchant Services2019-01-19
  2. "Good to do but not for more than a year"

Former Employee - Sales Coordinator

I worked at Bank of America Merchant Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

well paying job for what you actually do.

Cons

Gets very repetitive and boring at times

Bank of America Merchant Services2019-08-16
  3. "Great People"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at Bank of America Merchant Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are great. The benefits are great.

Cons

Advancement opportunity is somewhat limited.

Bank of America Merchant Services2019-01-23

"Great Potential Ruined by Poor Management"

Inside Sales Representative in Coral Springs, FL

I worked at Bank of America Merchant Services for more than 3 years

Pros

If you get a good market, you can make good money.

Cons

Job was fantastic at the start however the change of increased pressure to upsell to small businesses who truly didn't need the product and the mindset of "if you don't, you're bad at your job" took away any remaining job enjoyment that existed.

Bank of America Merchant Services2018-12-27

"Ripe with Opportunity for the Right Person"

Current Employee - Vice President Sales

I have been working at Bank of America Merchant Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Much like a startup, BAMS has gone through some impressive early growth to become the 2nd largest player in the industry, and is now charting the path for their next step. The company is now transforming from a "medium" to "large" company in one of the fastest growing technological spaces, payments. While there are definitely some growing pains(witness the changing of the old guard), this presents huge opportunity... for individuals to with the right mindset. Despite the name, this is not a mega corporation where you can come in and coast without repercussions.

Cons

Due to the massive growth, some the processes are either outdated, or non-existent. This can be frustrating, but is changing. Also, as smaller organization, we do not enjoy the comprehensive health and financial benefits that our large partners, First Data and Bank of America do, though they are in line with companies are size.

Advice to Management

Align more with Bank of America Merrill Lynch, as opposed to the constant sales culture of First Data. This will engender more "trust" and future from our clients over the long term.

Bank of America Merchant Services2018-09-21
  6. "Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Greenville, SC

Pros

The pay is good and reps have a lot of freedom if they are at plan. There are also a lot of great people I work with. 3 year residuals on accounts is also a great perk.

Cons

The compensation plan has constricted a good bit over the last few years. They make it harder each year to make money.

Bank of America Merchant Services2018-04-11

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales

Pros

Bank relationship provides solid leads Benefits; pay, insurance, 401k Technology from FD alliance

Cons

Company structure Commission reporting isn't always accurate Not many have sense of urgency Upper Leadership is clueless Training ( you can train all day on products, but these people are clueless on merchant basics such as pricing that ultimately affects our clients )

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on changing company structure and start focusing on our clients and the BOA partnership. You can come up with ways to generate thousands of leads, but if your talent isn't loyal, knowledgeable and competent your wasting time. BAMS leaders need to step up and take control. Too many BOA people coming in making careless decisions. So much talent has already left and I foresee a lot more like myself to... start pursuing.

Bank of America Merchant Services2017-10-05

"BAMS Review"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Bank of America Merchant Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent money and health benefits,

Cons

Last year Bank of America Merchant Services has burned through upper level management in attempt to fix a company that has some issues. Instead of taking care of the customers they have on the books they increase revenue by random rate and fee increases and pushing leasing on the merchant which is rarely in the merchants best interest. Employee work / life balance is non-existent. If you work for this company... plan on working 60 hours a week and that may not be enough.

Bank of America Merchant Services2017-10-24

"Regional Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Bank of America Merchant Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

None. Zero. My last day was the best day! I lost 10 pounds due to stress and no time to eat!

Cons

The bankers treat new reps badly. They tell you merchant has a bad rap and continue to perpetuate that as a reason for their own failure. The bankers are paid on approvals which doesn't align with your revenue goals. Merchant is not a priority for the bank and leadership at BAMS says it's your problem. If you present a challenge they say it's an "excuse". When you don't produce revenue because your chasing low... value bank referrals they fire you and hire someone else and history repeats itself. This couldn't be a more dysfunctional environment. They will suck the life out of you and expect you to work long hours with an insane, unmanageable workload. Expect to log a play by play of your day in Salesforce. Expense reimbursement can take several weeks. They discuss showing genuine concern for your client, but contradict that by encouraging shady pricing strategies to include a rate plus model with a significant bill back and locking people into noncancellable leases. I saw more than 16 people come and go in my market in less than 2 years at BAMS. They don't do exit interviews and could care less why. Upper management changes strategy every few months so get ready to take several turns and do exhausting acrobatics to survive. This work environment = Toxic, Artificial, Careless, Detached, Shady, Unpredictable.

Advice to Management

Until you address the root cause of your failure to produce revenue you will continue to go through good people and lose more business then what your signing.

Bank of America Merchant Services2017-04-12
  10. "avp- merchant solution specialist"

Current Employee - Sales

Pros

casual dress, great benefits, great team

Cons

lots of changes, not many opportunities to move in company, less and less referrals

Bank of America Merchant Services2017-03-25