Bank of America Reviews in Portland, OR | Glassdoor

Found 76 reviews

3.2
Bank of America CEO Brian T. Moynihan
Brian T. Moynihan
  1. "Excellent company to work for"

Current Employee - Teller in Portland, OR

I have been working at Bank of America

Pros

Predictable schedule, professional environment, fast paced and lots of employee benefits, including tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Work every single Saturday, and company is undergoing a lot of change which may difficult for some to handle.

Advice to Management

Overall you're doing a good job. Rotate Saturday shifts instead of just giving the full weekend to tenured associates every time. It's not fair to force employees to work 6 days a week, 52 weeks of the year.

Bank of America2015-08-28
  2. "Personal Banker"

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Portland, OR

I have been working at Bank of America full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

Earning a bonus every quarter

Cons

Too many changes creating a major work load for the same pay. Upper management micromanage

Advice to Management

Let us don our thing. The big turn around is do to upper management micromanaging. Because of this I'm currently looking for a new job. And I have been here for 8 years.

Bank of America2015-08-22
  3. "Working at BofA"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Bank of America for more than 9 years

Pros

Great people to work with. Big company, lost of bennifts. Many different locations. Lots of giving back to the community. They really care about their staff. I met some of the most caring people when I worked there.

Cons

Lots of policy changes and way too often. Once you learn one things they change it. It can be hard to connect with managers, many of them are in different states and on different time zones. I wish there had been more room for growth.

Advice to Management

Give employees more freedom to make their once decisions. Let people contribute their own ideas and see if the are new ways doing things, there banking system is a mess. When it comes to growth it takes forever for interviews to happen.

Bank of America2015-08-23
  4. "Associate"

Current Employee - Client Advisor in Portland, OR

I have been working at Bank of America full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

If you are seeking to move up, Bank of America will help you reach your goals. It's easier to move up if you are in a greater metropolitan area or are a 100% available to move to a different location to take a position.

Cons

Sometimes you have to work on Saturdays which can be six days a week at times.

Bank of America2015-06-10

"Tellers are not appreciated"

Current Employee - Teller in Portland, OR

I have been working at Bank of America full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

The company offer great benefits.

Cons

They pay very little and as you move up the pay increase is absolutely ridiculous. The next step up from a teller would be to become an SSS which stands for Sales and Service Specialist and after that to be a banker. They have eliminated the Teller Supervisor position accross the US. After 6 years with bank of america I started at 10/hr and I am still making below 13/hr. Management changes a lot and if sales arent great...

Advice to Management

Hire more tellers! The lines are out the door and a lot of time you schedule less people then what is needed to run the branch. Customers are not happy! Be realistic!

Bank of America2015-02-17
  6. "I became an employee during their acquisition of Countrywide Financial. Same position, same salary now different bank."

Former Employee - Instructor II in Portland, OR

I worked at Bank of America full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

They have a thorough review process.

Cons

They are hierarchical company. Therefore, their leaders do not listen to their front line staff directly but hire tons of middle management to be the ones that do. Too many messages being passed around and getting mismanaged, dis-guarded all together or often skewed before it even makes it to the executive table.

Advice to Management

Listen to all levels of staff below you, not just the level directly below you.

Bank of America2015-02-16
  7. "It's just OKAY"

Current Employee - Senior Teller in Gresham, OR

I have been working at Bank of America full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Great Benefits! Great opportunities for Students.

Cons

I've seen some big changes through the years. There was a time we had to pay for drinking water! Yeap that's right. They no longer have company picnics in the Summer. Low pay.

Advice to Management

Better Incentives!

Bank of America2014-10-20
  8. "Too focused on sales and not on employees"

Former Employee - Teller Operations Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at Bank of America full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Okay pay at level. Decent benefits.

Cons

Lots of promises of promotions but only mattered who you knew. Other people within the company who we're 'buddies' would get the jobs. This is true for many locations and for a lot of my peers.

Advice to Management

Focus more on your employees and less on your numbers. The numbers will fall in to place if your employees feel valued and supported.

Bank of America2014-08-18
  9. "We're better when we are connected"

Current Employee - Vice President in Portland, OR

I have been working at Bank of America full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

The company is one of the top employers in the US. The company is well established and is not going anywhere anytime soon. The company has a rich history. It offers a lot of benefits to the employees and encourage community interaction.

Cons

The cons are at organizational level and not necessary at the company. Therefore, one organization or vertical may have a different culture on employee satisfaction that is better than others. The company is so big that it takes time for the culture to spread around. In the mean time, employees may experience frustration on promotion, salary increase, and other culture related elements.

Advice to Management

Stop asking the questions of which you already know the answer. When things are bad, work at it instead of making promises.

Bank of America2014-08-01

"Good company"

Former Employee - Teller in The Dalles, OR

I worked at Bank of America full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Great benefits, Manager was very helpful and supportive

Cons

No Flexibility in work schedule.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the lazy individuals faster it makes those who work hard have to work harder and get burned out faster!!

Bank of America2014-07-15