Bank of America Securities Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bank of America Securities President Brian T. Moynihan
Brian T. Moynihan
1 Rating

1. "Not good for freshers"

Current Employee - Senior Tech Associate in Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Tech Associate in Chennai (India)

Pros

1.Company environment is good
    2.free cab and free sodexo meal pass

Cons

1.Most of the projects relatedto support
    2.They don't allow mobile phone in side the office
    3.internal politics

Advice to Management

Please consider employees are humans those are not machines

2. "Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Bank of America Securities (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bulge bracket bank with access to mainstream blue chip corporate clients

Cons

Bureaucratic organization with a lot of politics and strategic positioning

3. "Good company, lots of pressure"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

They offer good pay, and opportunities to advance - the new building in Manhattan has a great location near Bryant Park

Cons

The company can be a bit schitzo, with constant turn-over and restructuring. The merger with Merrill just made things more complex

Advice to Management

Pick a path forward and stick to it. The employees are just getting confused and can't do their job as effectively

5. "Investment Banking Associate"

Former Employee - Investment Banking Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Investment Banking Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Bank of America Securities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong dealflow, learning in a fast paced environment, time sensitive deliverables and large number of responsibilities

Cons

Company culture not structured, unprofessional time management by seniors and large time lags between supervision and checking of material.

Advice to Management

Foster an organic culture at the bank opposed to developing pockets of differing cultures all over the bank

6. "Secretive, closed-door management style"

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Dallas, TX

I worked at Bank of America Securities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Salary and benefit package was generous,better than most other local employers.
    *Plenty of growth opportunity should be available in this large company, though relocation would be required.
    *Convenient location, easy access to major highways.

Cons

*Secretive, closed-door management style, apparently from the top down
    *Management team was aloof, usually behind closed doors and rarely acknowledged your presence when they walked through the office.

Advice to Management

Share more with your employees

7. "It was a good entry level position after college, but glad I've moved on."

Current Employee - Financial Analyst
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst

Pros

The team leaders were strong and supportive. And the comradeship between the analysts and associates was incredible. Also, I think we had one of the best Quantitative Support teams in the business.

Cons

Beyond the individual team leadership, there was practically none. No clear direction for the company or the business units. Senior executives were absent. The company handled the merger with Merrill Lynch incredibly poorly. I still understand there is animosity between the two loyalties.

Advice to Management

Try to develop more of a horizontal structure. It's important for the young people (and old people) to see they have support from management and understand the goals of the company.

8. "Slow deal flow, lots of hours, but excellent learning curve."

Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

Pros

BofA had an excellent investment banking analyst training course. The learning curve of an investment banking analyst cannot be beat, although this is true of almost any investment bank. Benefits and bonus seemed fair, given I was toward the top. Although deal flow was slow, the deals I did work on were also extremely educational.

Cons

Hours, hours, hours wasted on pitches that were never technically scheduled! Also many hours spent in the office simply because that was what was expected, but did not seem necessary.

Advice to Management

I do not mind working hard, but I like to see some results from the effort. I also felt there were definitely times when managers required the analyst to be at the office simply for the sake of being in the office.

9. "Worked at BofA during the financial turmoil of 2008, as an analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

- comparable to other financial institutions in analyst pay and benefits

Cons

- hired way too many analysts than were jobs available
    - did not communicate warnings, or information about analyst career oppportunities and where the company was headed (and did not quell negative rumors either)
    - managers were confused and could not lead teams effectively under duress from above issue

Advice to Management

- communicate better with MDs

10. "Your Mileage May Vary"

Former Employee - Tech Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Tech Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

Some great and talented people work here
    Salary is good

Cons

Offices other than the BOAT [Bank of America Tower] are pretty mediocre

Everything depends on your immediate and one level up manager, if they aren't appreciate of their workers, don't expect any recognition.....at all

Advice to Management

Stop bringing in outsiders to run the company, grow talent from within, seriously, you have some really gifted people in mediocre mid management roles, seek them out!

11. "Banc of America Securities"

Former Employee - Investment Banking Analyst
    Former Employee - Investment Banking Analyst

Pros

The Leveraged Finance group provided me with a rigorous and challenging experience. I learned a lot, and made some very good friends (at the analyst and at the associate level). Coming out of the analyst program, I had a solid fundamental understanding of finance and the debt side of the capital markets.

Cons

Compared to friends at Morgan Stanley, Wachovia, etc., I had to be VERY secretive when I was exploring new jobs in private equity. My friends at the aforementioned firms did not - in fact, their firms offered WORKSHOPS for PE interviews (including question answering, model workshops, case study workshops, etc.). We had no such thing, and on top of that I felt like I had to be ridiculous shady about interviewing for fear of getting fired (we were mid layoffs). In the end, I however, I could confide in colleagues with whom I was close and it all worked out, but it was pretty disconcerting to have to be so secretive.

Advice to Management

Be clearer with employees about plans for the future and changes happening to the group. Also, the review process was flawed - my comments wouldn't necessarily match my "score," and it was absurd when my friends and I would compare our reviews; it was like they literally just changed the name on the review.