Bank of Hawaii Reviews in Honolulu, HI | Glassdoor

Bank of Hawaii Chairman, President, and CEO Peter S. Ho
Peter S. Ho

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Really low pay for Hawaii's cost of living; Hours make it hard for good work/life balance but it is manageable (in 19 reviews)

• Working consistently long hours (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Love My Bank!"

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Bank of Hawaii full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome benefits, fair pay, fun and caring coworkers, leadership that thinks strategically and looks around corners, and a go-forward plan that ensures the sustainability of our nearly 120-year-old company.

Cons

Salaries appear low, but that's more the function of the market in Hawaii than the Bank holding back. Sometimes too many projects, so dilutes what are the important things and what are the nice to haves.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus energy on a few big wins vs. as many small wins as we can get.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Bank of Hawaii full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good experience, lots of opportunity to grow.

Cons

Some Incompetent people hide in mid management

"IT Management doesn't have a clue"

Current Employee - Analyst in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Analyst in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Bank of Hawaii full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Remaining staff are close and have pulled together to get the job done.

Cons

Management, starts at the top, the CIO has literally destroyed the IT department. Management needs to embrace the culture and not infuse the mainland culture.

Advice to Management

Stop being secretive the staff is smarter than you think. Stop being two-faced, be genuine.

"IT management needs to change"

Current Employee - IT Professional in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Bank of Hawaii full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It used to be the people and it felt like the company cared about the employees. It is honestly a struggle to come into work everyday.

Cons

The CIO. It is so difficult to work in an environment where there is zero respect or transparency. If it wasn't for our CTO, I would have left already.

Advice to Management

It is no secret that the CIO can't keep people here. I have seen people that I have worked with for years leave because of her. If the situation doesn't change, then more good people will leave.

Bank of Hawaii Response

Aug 3, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

We appreciate your honest feedback and thank you for bringing your views to our attention. We would like you to know that we are here to listen and we hope you feel comfortable enough to contact us... More

5. "Summer Intern"

Former Intern - Summer Intern in Honolulu, HI
    Former Intern - Summer Intern in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Bank of Hawaii as an intern

Pros

Big emphasis on professional development , well-structured program with opportunities to learn about other departments besides your own. Pau hana fridays are lit.

Cons

Some departments do not give their interns a meaningful load of assignments throughout the internship.

"Universal Banker - Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Universal Banker in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Universal Banker in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Bank of Hawaii part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people; Great work enironment; Mandatory 5 day paid time off per year; Great benefits; Management listens to concerns of employees.

Cons

Really low pay for Hawaii's cost of living; Hours make it hard for good work/life balance but it is manageable.

Advice to Management

Increase the pay!

"Operations Specialist"

Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Bank of Hawaii full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging work, amazing corporate culture, and you are surrounded by staff that want you to succeed and take on more responsibility.

Cons

wages in the back office are relatively low, promotions are rarely given, opportunities for career advancement are limited, and high turnover in many departments.

Advice to Management

Burnout seems to be the major cause of turnover in our department. In the past 3 years I have watched our team's most skilled and knowledgeable talent leave as they feel unappreciated or underpaid for the amount of hours we put in to work. I would hope that management can offer an increase in pay, or promote employees more frequently to retain internal talent.

"Third Times a Charm"

Current Employee - Trust Operations Specialist in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Trust Operations Specialist in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Bank of Hawaii full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. The Training: Out of all the companies I have worked for, Bank of Hawaii provides the best training and support for their workers. From my experience, they hire based on potential and will provide all the support and tools necessary for you to succeed in whatever area you work in. The bank is also very smart in trying to keep talent within the company, Us millennials are always job hopping as a new way to get ourselves a raise or promotion but the bank will expose you to opportunities internally which will make you weigh your options before considering a job offer across the street. I really like that because it shows how much the company values you and will make an effort to motivate you to stay.

Workplace Environment: The bank really fosters a good and fair working environment. Thats not to say all departments adhere to this but from my experience I had no problems with work place hostility in the department I work in. Everyone is so nice and warm where I work in which surprised me because previously working at a financial institution the workplace can be very toxic and hostile.

Cons

Not much. Maybe the pay can be a little bit higher, I shouldn't be complaining because I didn't really bargain for a decent salary but I have no regrets accepting the lower wage compared to the market that would pay more because I am happy with my job and I see value in other ways beyond my paycheck.

Advice to Management

It's funny that I would end up working here and liking it. I have applied to Bank of Hawaii and had interviews which all failed which made me give up hope. I was actually trying to get into First Hawaiian Bank but when I saw a new position open at Bank of Hawaii I told myself it wouldn't hurt to try again. Third time is truly a charm, I was quickly offered the position and I have no regrets accepting it.

"Nepotism at its finest"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Pros

Great location. Positive brand recognition in the region. Great co-workers. Good Benefits. We're all in the same boat (slave ship)

Cons

The worst case of nepotism I've ever witnessed and eventually experienced first hand.
    You don't need to be qualified for any of the positions, they will hire you for any position and overpay you and promote you just as long as you know someone who knows someone. I've seen positions "made up" for someone with no work or banking experience (fresh out of college).

Advice to Management

Clean house all the way up to the vice chairs

10. "Money Money Money"

Former Employee - Teller in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Teller in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Bank of Hawaii full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, bank events, hours, and hour lunch breaks.

Cons

Pay, care more about making money for the bank than there employees

Advice to Management

Take more care of your employees to reduce the turnover rate.