Bank of Hawaii Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Bank of Hawaii Chairman, President, and CEO Peter S. Ho
Peter S. Ho

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "This company offers very good benefits" (in 12 reviews)

• "Workplace Environment: The bank really fosters a good and fair working environment" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay compared to other companies" (in 21 reviews)

• "low pay, long hours, stressful environment" (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great career start"

Current Employee - Analyst in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Analyst in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Bank of Hawaii full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to start your career in finance. One thing to consider is that every department is different, so someones great review about a particular position may differ depending on departments.
    - Great benefits
    - Friendly co-workers
    - Excellent corporate culture
    - Even work/life balance
    - Non-risky bank (good longevity)

Cons

- Pay (depending what department you work)
    - Parking (but that is a general issue in downtown)
    - Company is slow to adapt
    - Upwardmobility (department specific)

"Great place to work. Management is fair."

I have been working at Bank of Hawaii full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunities to learn and advance are available.

Cons

As with any employer, they can be found if you look for them.

3. "Teller"

I worked at Bank of Hawaii full-time

Pros

There was a steady amount of work

Cons

The work was tedious and repetitive

"Rigid, Old, Politics"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Bank of Hawaii full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No need to perform any actual work. It’s a self-retaining, job security maintaining cycle of nonsense that leads to no factual improvement but everybody keeps a happy face about it (on the surface). A lot of people here are, while improperly trained and/or educated, nice and friendly by heart but as it usually is, a few aren’t and those are making it hard for the ones that actually care.

Cons

On my first day (first!!), my colleague “warned” me to “not get frustrated” because, apparently, all of my four predecessors resigned over issues with the department’s management within 3-6 months after signing up for the job. They couldn’t get the necessary support and/or backing to deliver the numbers they were out to get.

And, surely enough, the managment was def. the opposite of the “Steadfast Tin Soldier”; the slightest breeze would make them fall in line. Tier one politicians by attribute, dead freight to the department by merit. Absolutely no grip on or understanding of bringing the department forward or championing their subordinates.

Over time, it turned out that almost the whole department was inheritly built around this unhelpful, borderline insubordinate, attitude where half of the staff created this myth of their “unparalleled importance” when, in fact, their jobs could be performed by a high school graduate. Simple MS Office applications were unheard of. “Protocol” was constantly emphasized and used as an excuse to not help out but said protocols were just hollow terms and phrases to accentuate aforementioned myth of being a key player to the department that couldn’t be further away from succeeding.

Half of the remaining department was “busy working” for countless and pointless audits which resulted in the virtual gridlock of the department.

In addition, our jobs were supplemented by tasks that other staff was supposed to be doing. Staff I found dining with their family at 4:30p in restaurants I was supposed to consult and sell to because they “were too busy.” I know, that’s a tough pill to swallow.

Dealing with this made up about half my day. The other half was filled with having to listen to the constant gossiping between and about the employees/colleagues. I knew the life story of everyone around me within the first week.

These colliding dynamics made it most apparent that there is no team spirit, no entrepreneurial attitude and certainly no skill that could propel this department back to life. People were in limbo and accustomed to not achieving anything. For lack of a better example, it felt like working for PanAm in 1991.

In particular so, when taking into consideration that the hardware we worked with and (tried to get) sold to clients, was basically from the same era. Unbelievably slow computers. Supervisors had not even heard of Excel formulas, never mind macros. Everything had to be printed out a gazillion times because nobody could handle an email attachment and edit a document digitally. Meanwhile, again, protocol of “having to QC this and that within ten days” (with a pencil) was emphasized and reiterated as if we are sending people to Mars.

At the very time, those people treat and talk to you as if you are the one that needs to adapt to the “fax-machine-environment” when, in fact, you out-IQ’ed them by a number invisible to their horse-blind-covered eyes.

It was quite unreal to have worked in such a backward, impaired and confused environment. The whole department will, in my opinion, be outsourced in the near future. For a $12 bn bank, that’s quite an embarrassment.

I read some reviews here about nepotism and unwarranted promotions for mostly useless staff, while the hard-working “foot soldiers” are being tossed out left and right or find themselves in the desperate position of standing still and I can confirm these allegations 100%. Leadership is basically just standing by to see this department sink because they will for sure find a new home in another department, if necessary.

Talking about the scope of the bank that I have come to know, it’s a grade-A “club” of favorites who are protected by the leadership and covered by HR. Any and all complaint, every attempt to bring about constructive change was met with an attitude of “these are not our ways.”

Advice to Management

You have been neglecting this department for 10+ years and your absence of cuminication toward it and its staff makes it astonishingly ordinarily apparent what the plan is, if you can call it that. If you don’t open the gates and let young, open-minded, aggressive and competitive as well as educated people in, and pay a competitive salary, you WILL lose the entire business to Square, FHB, Gravity, and all the other competitors.

"Student Assistant"

I worked at Bank of Hawaii part-time

Pros

Great learning experience for a young adult

Cons

Easy to see the reasons why everyone who works at BOH is so miserable...low salary, no appreciation for long time employees, office politics heavily affect individuals opportunities (all about who you are and who you know), pretentious management attitudes diluting every inch of the bank, no fun...

Advice to Management

Employees are key to success, so better start paying attention to employee needs and moral.

Jun 14, 2018 – HR Manager

We recognize your work experience did not fulfill your needs and expectations. If you wish to discuss further, you may reach us at 1-877-277-2898.

6. "Leadership needed"

Current Employee - Relationship Banker
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker

I have been working at Bank of Hawaii full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for, potential to grow. Company is bigger then just being isolated at a branch.

Cons

Management needs to lead by example. In every aspect.

Advice to Management

If the entire team is unhappy, look to the leadership. Something is wrong there.

"I’ve been with BOH for 5 Years now. Both in branches and behind the scenes."

Current Employee - Product Manager in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Bank of Hawaii full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome co-workers! Lots of opportunities to learn other areas and expand your background. Year end bonus is nice and benefits are fairly generous.

Cons

Upper management can define direction or stick to a course of action, constant shifting. Staffing is too bare bones and as a result there is lots of burn out and folks are jumping ship. People can only do so much!

Jan 29, 2018 – HR Manager

We appreciate you sharing your views with us. We strive to create the best possible experience and would like the opportunity to address your concerns and encourage you to contact us at... More

"That’s my bank"

Current Employee - Senior Teller in Kaimuki, HI
    Current Employee - Senior Teller in Kaimuki, HI

I have been working at Bank of Hawaii full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family oriented.
    Good benefit.
    Good bonuses.

Cons

They push you to sell

"Very bad experience"

I worked at Bank of Hawaii full-time

Pros

You have a job in Hawaii.

Cons

Outdated IT. Very unwelcoming to mainlanders coming to the company for a job. Even at times a hostile work environment with racism tolerated. Poor pay.

Advice to Management

Clean house. Value new talent.

Feb 5, 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for sharing your views with us. We strive to create the best possible experience for our employees and take your feedback seriously. As an Equal Employment Opportunity employer, we are... More

"Out of Touch Executive Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Bank of Hawaii full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bank of Hawaii has some of the most dedicated hard working loyal employees I have ever seen in a company. Prior to joining Bankoh several years ago I worked at another FI for 11 years and nobody works harder than the people at this bank. The "worker bees" are the ones that keep the company afloat and gives the company a good name in the eyes of the public.

Cons

Many of the bank's executive management (EVP level) team has no clue what goes into running a day to day operation. They are very quick to bark out orders but very very slow to recognize a good effort or a job well done, and once a mistake happens, all hell breaks loose and everyone overreacts and doesn't take the time to understand the reason why these mistakes happen in the first place and it's because everyone is short on staff and there is no support. The sense for a long while with the working population in the bank is that executive management doesn't have a clue what goes on in the business areas, they think they know what goes into running the business but they really don't. You have some EVPs (mainly the female ones) that tend to overreach their authority and stick their noses where it doesn't belong and it makes it very hard to run a business. Why is it acceptable to expect the world when the teams are consistently short on staff and it takes an act of congress to hire more people. If this type of behavior continues, I'm sad to say that more and more people will leave the bank.

Advice to Management

LISTEN AND HEAR what your employees are saying. Everyone really is trying and working hard for the company given the resources that they have. Don't just bark out orders and have realistic goals for your employees. Over the last year we have seen so many good people leave the company and it's not isolated to just one area and most of these people that have left did so because of their managers. The managing committee has to evaluate some of the managers at the EVP level, specifically two of them (females) because these two are very overwhelming to their teams and others who really want to do well.

Jan 2, 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for bringing your views to our attention. We take all feedback very seriously and are concerned about the experience you have described. We hope you feel comfortable enough to contact us at... More