KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

The latest conversations about Finance

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Good benefits and time off(in 110 reviews)
  • "Good people and they take many social initiatives(in 109 reviews)
  • "easy going company and good work life balance(in 67 reviews)
  • "Most of my coworkers are friendly and hardworking.(in 37 reviews)
  • "Bank is friendly to employees and have good communication through a monthly newsletter.(in 23 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Bank of the West and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee
    Featured Review

Great Workplace

Feb 14, 2022 - Senior Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Inclusive company that cares about social causes and ensuring employees have a good work experience.

Cons

Partnering with other teams is difficult as most individuals only care about covering their own responsibilities instead of nurturing a collaborative environment.

2 people found this review helpful

Bank of the West Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! Being a Great Place to Work is one of the cornerstones of our organization and a key to growing our business for the future.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee

Aug 3, 2022 - Relationship Banker II
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company, the people are great.

Cons

I can't find any cons working for BOTW

3. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Opportunities for Improvement

Aug 2, 2022 - Corporate Security Investigator
    Business Outlook

Pros

Not micro-managed. Decent pay and benefits.

Cons

Job training is not up to par with other banks. There was no HR orientation regarding the bank history, benefits or using the benefits systems. The "training" provided regarding specific job was not actually training but PowerPoint presentation overviews. We were supposed to receive one on one training with our designated mentors that never happened. Additionally I was put on the "on duty" "on call" schedule without training or documentation taking calls from OSOC regarding bank robberies, etc. I also didn't receive any instruction or training regarding handling the emails and cases related to the robbery cases. The "training" is severely lacking and it appears two of the long-time managers withhold important information and one manager appears to be intentionally providing incorrect procedural information. We were not set up for success but for failure.

4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Descent Bank!

Aug 2, 2022 - Software Developer Lead in Tempe, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Good professional people - Good Work life balance (obviously, there will be work pressure monthly once and you can always avoid it by being more pro-active) - You can switch between the teams - Remote work is allowed but may not be preferred

Cons

- Salary might be just average - Not many goodies for IT people atleast

5. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Don’t work here if you have other options

Aug 3, 2022 - Product Support Analyst in San Ramon, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- average pay - benefits - you can work from home

Cons

I have been with the company with 5 years and have seen a lot of changes from moving jobs to Tempe/ india to the acquisition. They have also let go of so many employees and never received any communications from the manager’s. Senior management acts like they care for your growth and creating a good environment but it’s not true . You will be pressured to work for longer hours and called on weekends .

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company Focused on Social Impact

Aug 3, 2022 - Vice President, Strategic Sourcing in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent stance on sustainable sourcing, CSR, DEI. Great work life balance. People are very down to earth and friendly. Merging with another bank at this time which will bring about opportunities for current employees.

Cons

None at this time. I've been in the role for a year and I really enjoy working here.

7. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Work review

Jun 24, 2022 - Teller
    Business Outlook

Pros

I enjoy what I do and who I work with.

Cons

I strongly disagree in the banks covid/Vaccine policy. I'm entitled to my own beliefs and feel that it is wrong for any company to demand a person’s personal medical record in any way. This includes vaccines and medical tests.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

BM VP

Jun 29, 2022 - Branch Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have been in the banking world for 20 years approx. I recently completed my 8 years with Bank of the West (BOTW). BOTW provides a GREAT balance with work/family. BOTW understands the value of family and allows time as needed to take care of your loved ones. BOTW has provided me with many opportunities to move up in career during the 8 years I have recently completed. The upper management really cares and invest their time with staff at the retail/branch level; whether it be career or family related; they really show concern about their employees. BOTW has a great working culture and I look forward to MANY more years of employement with BOTW.

Cons

Frankly - there are none.

1 person found this review helpful

Bank of the West Response

We appreciate your taking the time to leave a review. We Develop is a core value within the Bank. We have programs such as About Me, Individual Development Plans, and mid-year reviews designed to help team members develop their skills and expose them to opportunities within the bank.

9. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Wasn’t the place for me, but I know others who love it there

Aug 1, 2022 - Branch Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great compensation, you can grow with the company and advance quickly. Strong emphasis on customer service.

Cons

The company puts too much on the plates of the branch employees, and has managers, bankers and even tellers calling potential fraud account openers to determine whether they are real or fraudulent, with little training or resources to do so. Strong emphasis on sales.

10. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Deli clerk at Smith grocery Pahrump NV

Jul 28, 2022 - Customer Service Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly staff…great customers and room for advancement

Cons

Some stress while handling money

Bank of the West Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! We value our team members and have a number of programs designed to create opportunities for team members to grow their career.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,703 Reviews

Bank of the West Reviews FAQs

Bank of the West has an overall rating of 3.4 out of 5, based on over 1,828 reviews left anonymously by employees. 58% of employees would recommend working at Bank of the West to a friend and 51% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Bank of the West employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Bank of the West. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

58% of Bank of the West employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Bank of the West 3.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.6 for culture and values and 3.3 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Bank of the West to be work life balance, coworkers, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, career development, management.

Popular Careers with Bank of the West Job Seekers