Bank of the West Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • To many changes in upper management in the past 5 years (in 32 reviews)

• Sales goals are even admitted by management to be un-realistic (in 23 reviews)

"Officer"

Former Employee - Banking Officer in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Banking Officer in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Bank of the West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I only had to sacrifice a year of my life to work with this horrid company

Cons

Unattainable gains set by inexperienced managers - High employee turnover

Advice to Management

Chill the heck out with 40 minute long "huddles" and meetings and meetings that really do not teach anything. Stop putting employees on the spot for not meeting goals and making them feel like they will be fired all the time. Also start stream lining all of the programs needed to complete reports. I should not have to log into five different applications to complete a report. Too many cooks and not enough servers.

"Some issues with supervisor support"

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Omaha, NE

I worked at Bank of the West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Holidays off; nice benefits (including insurance and 401K); decent shifts

Cons

Sometimes dangerous; high sales goals; lack of supervisor support; training and development opportunities are out-dated and not motivating

Advice to Management

Powerpoint presentations / online trainings are not very motivating and there is a ton to learn in the banking industry - this needs to be revamped!

"Healthy environment to work but growing pains across the board"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Bank of the West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are great to work with. Strict on regulations. Not a dull moment throughout my tenure. Good training programs for employees

Cons

Technology needs advancement. They are behind by 10 years or so. Pay in IT is ok but not good in other departments. Not per market rate for Bay Area.

Advice to Management

Retain talent by paying market rate or people will soon become very unhappy

"Terrific new CEO and bright future"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bank of the West full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Organization that is evolving rapidly to better meet the needs of its customers; opportunities to help shape direction and contribute to the bank's success; nice people and pleasant culture. CEO has articulated a good strategy for the transformation of the bank, is committed to making improvements, and genuinely cares about employees and customers. Communication far exceeds what I have experienced elsewhere. Tone at the top and ethics are also excellent. Appreciate the shift to business casual and permitting employees to telecommute, particularly given traffic in the Bay Area.

Cons

There are some failures of accountability and reluctance to do things differently, particularly among longer term managers and employees. But this is not uncommon in companies undergoing significant change.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating about the need to embrace change and continue involving employees in efforts to identify new initiatives and efficiencies. Despite some of the negative reviews on this site, most employees are excited about and supportive of the bank's transformation efforts.

"Worst company I have ever worked for."

Former Employee - Premier Banker in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Premier Banker in Oakland, CA

I worked at Bank of the West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None . Don't even think about it. My ideal salary wouldn't cut it here because of everything I had to deal with.

Cons

Everything from slow systems to management. Zero compliance I'm surprised how they operate. I would avoid it if possible. Ask questions to see how managers answer this should give you an indication if they are telling truth.

Advice to Management

Managers don't have a clue. Company is filled with poor managers.

"Mixed Messages, change management team and local management is useless. Dont apply here!! Not worth it right now!"

Former Employee - Branch Manager Assistant Vice President in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Branch Manager Assistant Vice President in Portland, OR

I worked at Bank of the West full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Autonomy to network and produce and nurture COI and client relationships. Branch teams generally work together to meet lofty goals.

Cons

Pay is below market avg, going through re-branding and corp directives differ vastly from local directives. The incentive program is substantially below market and promotes production that directly oppose what corporate is now askong for. This probably will be a good place to work again but I'd give it three years at minimum...

Advice to Management

Locally, they need to stop with the old fashioned "Good 'ol boys" mentality. Attrition is through the roof yet local leaders pat each other on the back for collecting their checks. Must be nice to manage a business line one has never actually worked in when one always congratulate themselves for meeting metrics they don't understand that their people kill themselves to hit. (Hence the incredible attrition rates). Area management needs to be cleared out and replaced with hires that have actual experience in our business line. Enough is enough.

""customer focused:"

Current Employee - Loan Administrator in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Loan Administrator in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Bank of the West full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

easy workload, 8 hours only, all overtime needs to be approved

Cons

Customer Focused leads to employees being thrown under the bus by upper management, borrowers, coworkers, etc.

it is constantly pointing the finger at someone else, not taking responsibility for their actions.

interaction between departments are impossible

Advice to Management

focus more on employees. turn over is high. people are very unhappy.

"Nice people but overly aggressive financial targets"

Current Employee - IT Manager in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Bank of the West full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dedicated staff, friendly environment, work life balance

Cons

Major cost cutting and underway that will move many jobs out of California to other states and offshore which will put the reputation of the bank at risk.

Advice to Management

Slow down on the cost cutting. If you move too fast you'll create more problems than you realize. If you want staff to embrace cost cutting, it needs to start from the top...get rid of company cars for execs and Senior Management offsites in Hawaii. Don't make staffing decisions that are penny wise and pound foolish.

"Left to my own devices"

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Bank of the West full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was able to pursue projects of my own interest (once BAU deliverables were assured; I regularly worked past 10 PM) that allowed me to develop some useful programming skills, in a way that wasn't possible in other companies I had worked at with more restrictive IT policies.

Cons

I think my boss & I conversed for less than 1 hour total during my employment of nearly one year. His boss conversed with me for less than 3 minutes.

Advice to Management

Get to know your employees to identify who's pulling their weight, & who isn't.

"Chaotic"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Bank of the West full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Buildings are air conditioned. Once a year executives gave us free ice cream during Employee Appreciation Week. There are a lot of talented caring people here.

Cons

No decisions are made here - all are dictated from Paris. Everyone here is a puppet. And unfortunately they don't know it.

Advice to Management

Bank of the West is in a chaotic state. Rapid change is reactionary verses driven from strategic direction. I joined BOW in 2007, so I was here through the crises. The level of chaos is much higher now than during prior leadership during the financial crises.

The lack of trust and paranoia is evident executive committee down. It is apparent the new CEO does not support the majority of her leadership team but is slow to replace. Leaders that should be retained are finding better opportunities elsewhere. To date, the executive replacements the CEO is brining in seem to indicate inability to attract top level talent. BOW has reduced and capped upside incentive in 2017 when our peers are enjoying significant upside in stock price - why would any one good stay?

Moral is at it lowest point and hopefully not heading lower. It was difficult to find a senior leader that is happy at work. It is clear that all major decisions are being made by BNPP. Current leadership is merely trying to execute on BNPP direction which seems to be problematic. If you want to be in banking please consider publicly traded, community, or regional banks. This foreign owned bank offers no upside. CEO has no real authority. And where there is opportunity CEO goes to external talent in few instances where Paris does not dictate and send an extremely expensive expat.

BOW is incredibly bureaucratic. BOW, Holding company and BNPP. Only a few minor decisions can be made locally.

In experienced executives being brought on are being elevated to EMC. However at least one top internal executive that has built a fledgling business line from nothing to one of the best in the country continues to be overlooked for EMC. The message the CEO is sending to internal people is being heard loud and clear. Good luck.