Bank of the West Reviews | Glassdoor

Bank of the West Reviews

Updated February 14, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great work environment that offers excellent work-life balance (in 38 reviews)

• Good Benefits, good atmosphere, work hard but play hard (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not have a clue of what is going on in the company (in 24 reviews)

• Ridiculously high sales goals with absolutely no supporting infrastucture to create time efficiency (in 18 reviews)

1. "Mortgage"

I have been working at Bank of the West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits, good atmosphere, work hard but play hard. Your voice matters, unlike my last employer.

Cons

Still has your corporate politics but on a smaller scale at least. Due to growth it can be unorganized but the potential is there and will clearly be reached soon.

2. "Company Heading in the Right Direction"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor I in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor I in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Bank of the West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Decent salary with no cap on commissions or bonuses
    -Bank Branches have referral goals to assist your practice
    -Company is investing more into technology and employee development
    -As long as you are hitting your numbers, management is very laid back
    -Very large offering list of Mutual Funds, Annuities and Insurance products
    -Bank offer Wealth Management which greatly helps close larger clients
    -Top FA's make $80-100k, then get promoted to FA 2 which gets you an extra $10-20k, then can be promoted to Wealth FA where its all commission - should make $120k minimum

Cons

-A LOT of paperwork
    -Compliance can make it difficult to close business
    -Current compensation plan needs work for FA position
    -Not a good starting firm for new advisors, need to be established

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in company technology; we are 10 years behind the curve. Compliance needs to relax - nothing unethical is being done but compliance shoots way too many things down because of silly BancWest forms.

"If I could rate less than a 1, I would!"

I worked at Bank of the West full-time

Pros

There is literally not one pro that I can think of.

Cons

This is by far the worst company I have EVER worked for! I previously lived in Arizona and worked for a large financial institution in their corporate office, so when I moved to a new smaller state I looked for anything banking related, but I came up pretty short. I did however, come across a Customer Service Manager position with Bank of the West and because I had worked in banking and was a former retail Store Manager, I thought it would be a good fit for me. I started work at BOW in October of 2015, two months later I found out I was pregnant. I had an awful pregnancy. I was always sick; it wasn't just in the morning, but literally all day every day. Most of the people I worked with were compassionate and understood how sick I was, except the Branch Manager. As a former manager, I understand that as a Branch Manager you need your staff to be available and do a great job, and the higher managers put so much pressure on you, but this gentleman was nothing but inappropriate and unprofessional! He said very derogatory comments to me, yelled in my face in front of my employees because I was two minutes late (because I had to pull over and throw up on my way to work, which I let my employees know I was going to be a few minutes late). I mean, it was worse than what I can even put into words. With this, I started an HR investigation, because I felt like I was being discriminated. The HR woman literally had MULTIPLE witnesses to these occurrences and still did NOTHING about it. They determined I was not being discriminated against, but he was being inappropriate so they had a 'talk' with him. He did end up leaving the company when I was about 6 months pregnant, which was nice, but that didn’t last. After he left, other people realized how AWFUL Bank of the West was (mostly because of their INSANE referral goals for not only tellers but every other position in the branch), so I was left 6 1/2 months pregnant, been at the job less than a year, with myself and one new teller to run THE ENTIRE BRANCH. They kept putting me in the position to be the Branch Manager. Expecting me to come in super early and leave very late and know how to do and run everything in the branch. They also changed my entire job title around this time, I was now a Senior Service Officer which required me to open checking accounts and have more sales based goals! Then we got a new Area Manager who wouldn’t let me take any time off (like for my baby shower, which I had requested to have off MONTHS in advance), she came in acting like she knew how to do everyone's job better than them and had extremely high expectations of everyone which put a lot of pressure on tellers who are getting paid $10-$12 bucks an hour! I told some of them to get the hell out of this place and go work somewhere with less stress! I couldn't leave because I was pregnant and needed the insurance. I had a serious health issue when I was 34 weeks pregnant (both of my adrenal glands hemorrhaged), the doctors don't know the exact reason as to why this happened, but one of the specialist did say it could be stress related. Keep in mind, although I was sick often from my pregnancy, I still came to work, I also got the highest customer service score in the Midwest region, which allowed everyone in the branch to get a bonus of $750. NEVER IN MY LIFE have I been so disrespected, so unappreciated and so UN-CARED FOR as a human being. DO NOT EVER WORK HERE NO MATTER HOW DESPERATE YOU ARE!

Advice to Management

RETIRE

5. "Online Banking Rep I"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Bank of the West (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits , great pay and a lot of Over time

Cons

Scheduling really sucks, can't get a day off ever nor a better schedule, stuck with late schedules "because of business needs"

Advice to Management

My manager is really good to try to help us all, keep it up.

"Banker4"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Castle Rock, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Castle Rock, CO

I worked at Bank of the West full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Bank of the West pays well, but they do not care about their employees. They make decisions with out taking into account what the employee needs to do their job.

Cons

They make decisions with out taking into account what the employee needs to do their job. The upper management has take a turn for the worse.

Advice to Management

Just because you pay people well does not mean that you can treat them poorly. Most people value who they work for just as much as good pay.

7. "11-year team member"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Bank of the West full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company culture is one of inclusion. It definitely has a family feel. The executives are on a first name basis with the team members.

Cons

The pay is less than market , especially if you are a long-term team member. Also, career roles tend to be centralized to the San Francisco market and there seems to be a ceiling of how far you can grow if you aren't willing to relocate.

8. "CSR"

I have been working at Bank of the West part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits even for part-time employees

Cons

Big company which makes change slow

9. "Implementation Specialist"

Pros

Great Management and good leadership.

Cons

Expensive Health Insurance - withdrawals from paycheck are huge

"Service Banker"

I worked at Bank of the West full-time

Pros

I had the best customer service manager ever! That was the only reason I stayed at my job here. She made my job better.

Cons

The branch manager at the time was completely disrespectful and not very helpful. He did nothing to help me progress my career at the bank. Sales goals were outrageous and you can barely meet them every quarter.

Advice to Management

Think before you hire branch managers. Reevaluate your sales goals.

"New CEO - Investing in infrastructure - career opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bank of the West full-time

Pros

Client focused
    International opportunity - owned by progressive French company BNPP
    Supports professional growth
    New forward thinking CEO that's not afraid of making the right changes in culture and strategy to better meet the demands of clients and team members
    Hiring good talent
    Huge opportunity for growth given all the low hanging fruit!
    All businesses Beginning to work collectively - huge strategic change -from myopic silo approach - will be incredibly good for clients and team members and revenue

Cons

Progress being made in Neglected technology infrastructure -
    Prior leadership (before new CEO) did not work to get out in front with a new vision and business model - it's happening now
    Legacy of old boy club throughout company dying slowly but is happening
    Beginning to prioritize - versus everything is important

Advice to Management

Define strategy and vision and stick to it.
    Support team members in adopting and understanding it
    Tell them - honor them - bring them along
    Regarding team members;
    Empower
    Delegate
    Trust
    Hold accountable
    In so doing team members will step up and deliver and clients will feel it and bring BOW more business