Bankers Life Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 4, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • There is no base pay (100% commission basis), so until you get up and running you won't make much (in 52 reviews)

• 1099 Employee - 100 % Commission - No Benefits to start (1 (in 67 reviews)

"Disheartening"

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in McAllen, TX
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in McAllen, TX

I worked at Bankers Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training. They spend a lot of time and money to teach you all about the insurance plans you are going to sell for them and give you plenty of practice to learn the scripts and everyday that they have you come in to the office they try to give you lots of motivation and training. If your good at selling and very motivated you can make a lot of money.

Cons

They force everyone into a mold they want you to follow. Forming your own leads or thinking outside the box is discouraged. Cold calls seem to get you no where. Most of the people who are home, willing and able to pick up a phone at the times they want you calling are the people who don't work so they don't have the money to buy what you are selling.

Advice to Management

Stop the old vacuum salesman routine and get with the 21st century. Research the best methods of reaching your target market. Like Put advertisements during the shows they watch telling them why they need your product and how it can help them with a number and website on the screen. Turn your out going callcenters into receiving callcenters. You will get way more customers with less effort.

2. "Great place for a first job"

I worked at Bankers Life full-time

Pros

Great PTO time, lots of training, promote growth and promotions.

Cons

micromanagement, boring work atmosphere

3. "Excellent Training"

I have been working at Bankers Life full-time

Pros

A good job if you are a first year agent.

Cons

It is a commission only job

"Great Opportunity for someone with ambition"

Current Employee - Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Bankers Life full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You control your earnings by the amount of effort you put forth. It is like running your own business, you schedule the workload. Lifetime renewals, bonuses, trips and Commissions. Great Management team, constant training, Broad product offering. Fantastic Office culture.

Cons

Unfortunately there is no Salary, it is entirely Commission based, gets easier when the renewals begin, but first year it is predominately Commission and Bonus.

Advice to Management

Continue motivating your Agents, show them the benefits of working hard.

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Bankers Life full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This job gives you an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of senior citizens and help guide them through decisions that will largely effect their retirement. There is continuous training no matter whether you are a brand new agent or a senior agent. The management team works with you to help familiarize you with the industry prior and become successful. The schedule is great and the management understands that family life is important as well.

Cons

The first year can be tough while you're getting acclimated to sales (if you're not already familiar with this type of position) and you can't get discouraged easily.

6. "Insurance Sales"

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Representative in Bridgewater, NJ
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Representative in Bridgewater, NJ

I worked at Bankers Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's definitely money to be made.

Cons

Will require a lot of work outside of the office. This job will definitely come home with you.

Advice to Management

Things seemed convoluted. At first it seemed like I was not getting everything I needed do things on my own. It's sales, so everyone has there own way of doing things so you will constantly get advice that contradicts each other.

"Sales"

I worked at Bankers Life full-time

Pros

Independent work. Cold calling at its worse but OK compensation.

Cons

Training was miserable, told to call people using a 'do not call' database.

Advice to Management

Try to get leads honorably.

"Could be great with the right fit"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Phila, PA

I have been working at Bankers Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a whole lot of money to be made in insurance. The company is relatively well known. With a more organized management team one could be very successful in this line of work and even with this company.

Cons

At this office I'm not really sure your set up for success the way it's made to seem when you come in for your interviews. It's more like a one of those operations where they just throw things at the wall and hope something sticks. Again this is an office by office experience.

Advice to Management

Stop the puppy mill. It's a real big turnoff if your new and starting to get things going. It makes you NOT want to be part of the team and NOT want to come to the office to make your calls and get some extra knowledge from the limited training sessions made available to you as well as leaning on your older coworkers who've been at it longer than you have. Maybe even send out one of those senior people with the new guy that's getting good instead of saddling them with dead weight in the form of a too green for the field rookie that you've paired them up with who will do nothing to help you close the sale but with diminish your chances of closes of 3% every time they open their mouth.

"The decision that changed my life."

Current Employee - Unit Field Trainer - Insurance Agent in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Unit Field Trainer - Insurance Agent in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Bankers Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A Bankers career combines all the ambition and open-ended possibility of running your own business with the resources and support of a large and successful company. Leadership is always promoted from within, so the opportunity is unlimited and a culture of success is constantly cultivated. Very few careers reward you with this type of lifestyle while affording the ability to genuinely and meaningfully help others in your community with real life issues on a daily basis. Nothing is more satisfying than being highly compensated for making a difference in your neighbor's life.

Cons

Flexibility, while a huge advantage, can equally become a downfall. Personal discipline and accountability are absolutely paramount to success. Hard work will pay off, but serious focus and drive will be necessary to accomplish your goals. Those lacking in these areas will be more suited in a traditional environment.

"Amazing Opportunity"

Current Employee - Branch Sales Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Branch Sales Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Bankers Life full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture. My professional growth has exceeded my expectation. I didn't worry about my financial future during the last down turn (2008-2010, second worse economic period since the great depression). I have developed tremendous relationships. I know I have a tremendous impact on those I serve.

Cons

It is hard unrelenting work. You need to operate outside of your comfort zone. You need to be self disciplined. You need to take ownership in your career. You need to self develop to really get ahead. You can never become complacent or your business stops growing.

Showing 971 of 1,188 reviews