Bankrate Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Bankrate President & CEO Kenneth S. Esterow
Kenneth S. Esterow

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Dont get confused with 'Artificial Review' done by their current employee recently to 'Up' their scores!!"

Former Employee - Senior Developer in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I worked at Bankrate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free drinks, 401k, new office

Cons

Struggling industry, unable to increase revenue by the leadership, getting more expensive than what they are bringing on board, no work life balance. promotion is based on your relationship with higher ups. The low life, Simon and Scott, are running their 'lip service'. They damn care about your culture and values and work life balances, even though they constantly give lectures on them. This company with its culture is bound to fail, bound to lose to its competitors-It is matter of time. I wish Red-venture will understand this and kick-out those 'corporate weeds' to drain the swamp.

Advice to Management

Clean-up the bad higher ups and bring on board folks who truly value employees and culture.

"Downhill fast"

Former Employee - Programmer in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Former Employee - Programmer in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I worked at Bankrate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everything that seams like a pro turns out to be a con. Was a great place to work a little over a year ago, but keeps getting worse.

Cons

Randomly cut people for no apparent reason (16 to 20 at a time). Change tools constantly. Make you move desks constantly. Work you ridiculous hours, through lunch, evenings and weekends.

Advice to Management

Those at the top are the problem. Listen to your employees and be honest with them.

Bankrate Response

Jun 22, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your honest feedback and I certainly regret that your experience went from positive to negative in the short time you were with us.

I can guarantee you that any changes we make... More

"Big Changes"

Former Employee - Clerk in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Former Employee - Clerk in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I worked at Bankrate full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Bankrate offered great benefits, 401K, nice office space, breakfast. Used to have great management. Now they are cut throat. Sad!

Cons

The company has fired a large number of employees just in 2017 to have the ability to bring on more analysts! For what? This company is headed to failing! The core of what made them a great company is no longer there.

Advice to Management

Dig deeper into your mid management teams! Many are only there because of "friends" as their bosses!

Bankrate Response

Jun 22, 2017 – CEO

I very much appreciate your honesty. Thank you, and as a former long-time employee you’ve undoubtedly seen many changes in our team over the last few years.

I take the employee experience very... More

"Horrible co worker"

Former Employee - Receptionist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Receptionist in New York, NY

I worked at Bankrate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of snacks and beverages provided. Bingo every Fridays with gift cards given to winners.

Cons

A lot of work given to Receptionist. Had me changing light bulbs, which was not part of my job description and a definite work hazard. Colleague that trained me was spreading rumors of not doing my job. Also, no orientation on first day of work? Had to figure out everything myself, so bad, I quit after a month. Hostile work environment.

"Bankrate Inc."

Former Employee - Confidential in North Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Confidential in North Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Bankrate (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great work environment, great office set up, great fringe benefits - breakfast items, coffee/tea/hot cocoa, soda, etc.

Cons

New Senior management team that joined the company within the last 12-18 months made extreme changes across all departments and most haven't gone well and the departments are struggling. The amount of $$ being spent on the changes to personnel and new programs/software/systems for these departments are outrageous. Bankrate used to be so frugal and ran very lean, not the case anymore. It was so disheartening to see a position/employee released and then a replacement brought in at a much higher salary and they can't accomplish half of what the prior employee had done.

Advice to Management

Senior Management should know to take the time to gather all information on processes/employees prior to making changes. The should not just jump into a change without getting the background info...it doesn't tend to end up with positive results when handled this way - just ask current employees

"Horrible company"

Former Employee - Director in North Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Director in North Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Bankrate full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nothing Pro about this place. It's a job that pays a fair salary.

Cons

As you can see from the recent bad press, the crows have come home to roost.

Advice to Management

Quit or remove yourself from the company. Starting with the CIO.

"Want preferential treatment, lack of leadership.. Then this is for you..."

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in North Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in North Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Bankrate full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Most of the people who actually do work here are great, but that's just a limited few

Cons

Within the IT group, it's all about preferential treatment. It's not an even playing field from management. Too many chiefs, not enough indians. Everyone gets promoted here (as long as you're already in management), and many of them don't deserve it. I've been here over 8 years and it's never changed here. If you're not a manager already, you'll never get anywhere, don't try because I have and it's a non-winning situation. I stay here only because it's close to my home in north palm beach.

Advice to Management

Think of some advancement and get some training yourself on employee relationships.

"Career limiting company"

Current Employee - Principal Scapegoat in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Principal Scapegoat in Denver, CO

I have been working at Bankrate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Downtown Denver is a nice location, provide eco pass with employment, benefits are decent, but none of the Pros are worth the headache of working there.

Cons

High employee turnover (4 left this week). Constant 'which hunting', unhealthy team dynamics, protectionism, Everything else you can imagine.

Advice to Management

Bring in strong management from outside the company. Promoting from within continues the downward spiral the company is experiencing.

"Hated It."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Palm Beach, FL

Pros

Free coffee, free soda and sometimes catered food.
    An extreme lack of work gives you plenty of free time to watch movies on your computer, so make friends with your headphones.
    You can bring a pillow to work for naps.

Cons

Where should I start?
    1. If you are not in the right cliche don't expect any promotions.
    2. Be prepared to be bored and I mean very bored as you sit around waiting for things to get approved so you can move on to the next thing.
    3. No one ever talks in person, everything is communicated through e-mail or IM.
    4. There is a department with only 2 people and one is a VP.
    5. Lots of waste, such as having a 2 person department and one being a VP.
    6. Most people are just concerned with making sure no one else really knows how little work they really do lest they lose their job.

Advice to Management

What management?

"Its like a dysfunctional family"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Palm Beach, FL

Pros

Good pay, free coffee and catered food sometimes

Cons

Most of the Senior Management care nothing about teamwork or have a clue about team building. Their only concerned that nobody gets their jobs. Most have never had any experience in their positions before Bankrate. It one of those places where the people who stayed did so because they could never get a position like they have in any other company. The rest left.

Advice to Management

Analyze current management, talk to the people who report to them and replace or train them in management skills. Create an environment where people want to help each other not protect their jobs.