Bannatyne Fitness Reviews | Glassdoor

Justin Musgrove

1. "Decent company!"

Current Employee - Advisor
    Current Employee - Advisor

Pros

I can say that B Fitness is really a good place to work for. I think that overall the company offers a decent work environment, with very good benefits, fair compensation and vacation time, as well as good coworkers and a fairly supportive management team.

I think the work environment is pretty good because most of the time I have meaningful work with clear expectations from management. Also, it seems like B Fitness provides clean working facilities that are generally safe and give me most of the needed resources to do my job. By in large, this is mostly stable work environment, but there is some turnover. Also, I feel like I have reasonable job security.

Cons

B Fitness provides solid company benefits like some paid time off and sick leave, some medical and dental insurance, as well as a some other employee programs. I feel like the company takes decent care of their employees and their general well being.

I can say that both my coworkers and the management team are good at B Fitness. There is a decent sense of fairness in the company and the employees are mostly treated with respect. Management is professional and good at giving frequent feedback and work hard to foster a sense of team.

B Fitness is a good company to work for and I would recommend it.

Advice to Management

None, I think they do a great job. It would just be nice if they were more flexible.

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Bannatyne Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Progression to Management, staff benefits, additional holidays for length of service, investment in clubs

Cons

Shift work - not uncommon in industry
    Statuatory sick pay

Advice to Management

Continue recent direction and focus on staff great to see some of the recent developments

3. "A positive and challenging working environment that is very dynamic."

Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Bannatyne Fitness full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of investment and a forward thinking Senior Management Team. Open and honest relationship with line managers and genuine innovation going on. Very supportive.

Cons

Additional pay for staff working national holidays. Sometimes too reactive, especially in terms of social media complaints. More autonomy at club level needed.

Advice to Management

Offer less weight to social media complaints or at least give praise for positive ones too. Appreciate it's importance, but you live in fear when you are giving your all. More budget control at club level for capital spend.

4. "Genuinely Happy To Come To Work Each Day"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Darlington, North East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Bannatyne Fitness full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Senior management open to ideas, which gives staff a real opportunity to effect change.
    - Good performance is recognised and rewarded.
    - Supportive culture.
    - Development program in place within club sites, with a promote from within culture, meaning staff can advance their careers within the company.
    - Pay is competitive for the leisure industry
    - Complimentary membership for staff, and an employee benefits program, including a Cycle To Work scheme.

Cons

- Sick leave paid as SSP, but this is pretty standard for the sector.
    - Organisational communication could be better, but has improved significantly in recent years.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in sites and staff - really excited about the business we're building!

Jun 16, 2017 – Senior HR Assistant

Thank you for the great feedback – it’s always good to hear colleagues’ positive experiences of working at Bannatyne and we appreciate the time you’ve taken to leave this review.

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Fitness Advisor in Durham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Fitness Advisor in Durham, England (UK)

Pros

Staff are so friendly and happy in their work, I love talking and helping members to achieve their fitness goals and I actually get paid to do it, the benefits are good with a subsidised meal when on shift (40% of cafe bar meals)

Cons

Early starts can be very challenging

Advice to Management

It is great to see how staff benefits have grown so much over the last year or so, maybe look at being able to buy more holidays

Jun 16, 2017 – Senior HR Assistant

Thank you for the great feedback – it’s always good to hear employees’ positive experiences of working at Bannatyne and we appreciate the time you have taken to leave this review. It was ... More

6. "Fitness Advisor"

Current Employee - Fitness Advisor
    Current Employee - Fitness Advisor

I have been working at Bannatyne Fitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good opportunities for training, they will pay for a lot of courses and qualifications. I've got a great manager and get on well with my colleagues. Support from my direct manager with flexible hours and career development.

Cons

Minimum wage for a job that requires qualifications isn't right. Going from late shifts into early shifts which is actually illegal (you are supposed to get at least 11 hours between shifts). Gym members are very demanding and rude, lots of cleaning, and everything in the building is broken, old, dated and falling apart. Uniform is horrible and unflattering. The time between shifts is the worst thing though. My health suffers from lack of sleep (especially when teaching classes every day) so I have to call in sick and we don't get sick pay. After three occasions of being ill you get a disciplinary which isn't fair when they break the law with regards to employee health. Staff morale is low. Everyone wants to leave and hates their job.

We have some benefits like discounts on theatre, theme parks etc but not much good when you're so poor that you can't afford to anyway and you're always working to try and make enough cash to live!

Advice to Management

Make sure we all have at least 11 hours between shifts.

Pay staff a fair wage, maybe more for level 3 qualified trainers. You get what you pay for and people would be more likely to stick around and work harder. So many people have left since I started!

A few days sick pay per year would be good

Invest in your sites!

7. "Would work there again!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wakefield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wakefield, England (UK)

I worked at Bannatyne Fitness part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoyed working with my colleagues and the staff benefits scheme was good offering discounts. Staff get extra holidays for length of service which is good. Training

Cons

Pay could be better.
    More holidays or be able to buy more holidays

Advice to Management

Take feedback from staff and get the opinions to help company progress.

May 29, 2017 – Senior HR Assistant

8. "Great Atmosphere and Place"

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Bannatyne Fitness full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Experience and Well Paid

Cons

Personal Training hours varied at weekends

May 25, 2017 – Senior HR Assistant

9. "Fun place to work....great buzz!"

Current Employee - Receptionist in Shrewsbury, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Shrewsbury, England (UK)

I have been working at Bannatyne Fitness part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work colleagues. Brilliant manager. Some really lovely members. Free gym membership. Discounted meals whilst on duty. Fun place to work.

Cons

Unsociable hours. Standing for 8 hour shifts.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

May 25, 2017 – Senior HR Assistant

10. "Really nice place to work, good friendly staff and departments mix well"

Current Employee - Cafe Bar Assistant in Milton Keynes, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Cafe Bar Assistant in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

I have been working at Bannatyne Fitness part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free gym membership
    Staff discount on spa and food, etc
    Very well kept premises
    Promoting from within
    Very friendly staff

Cons

Some customers are really up themselves and act as if the cafe is a full blown restaurant, can be very tough to deal woth

Advice to Management

Update the tablet tills

May 25, 2017 – Senior HR Assistant

Thank you for the great feedback – it’s always good to hear employees’ positive experiences of working at Bannatyne and we appreciate the time you have taken to leave this review. We are really ... More