Banner Health Reviews in Fairbanks, AK | Glassdoor

Fairbanks, AK

Banner Health President and CEO Peter S. Fine
Peter S. Fine

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits and culture of each facility (in 46 reviews)

• Leadership "walks the walk", they understand valued employees are obsessed with providing the best patient care (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of priorities make it challenging to focus on providing excellent patient care (in 36 reviews)

• They take care of upper management and forget about the worker bee's the people who hold the place together (in 32 reviews)

"CNA"

Former Employee - CNA in Fairbanks, AK
    Former Employee - CNA in Fairbanks, AK

I worked at Banner Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good management, good working environment

Cons

Work was hard, co-workers liked to gossip and create drama.

Advice to Management

none

"Low Pay in High Cost of Living Area"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairbanks, AK

I worked at Banner Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at a facility in Alaska that is no longer affiliated with Banner. That facility had its own issues separate from Banner. The good it did provide was some structure to what was originally an independent venture.

Cons

We were being paid Colorado rates (according to local HR). Colorado, where I lived prior, has a MUCH lower cost of living compared to Alaska.
    I was one of two managers in the entire facility that had a Bachelors degree. Most people had worked there 20 or more years and were completely unqualified for the positions they held. But since they'd been there so long they got promoted.
    Little support for facilities outside of Arizona. The focus was one growth and capturing as much of the market as possible. Many of my employees actually made significantly more money than me just because of longevity

Advice to Management

Support your managers and have HR support their decisions (as long as they are sound). I witnessed completely unprofessional employee behavior that HR looked the other way at. It was very apparent the inmates were allowed to run the asylum.

Banner Health Response

Apr 11, 2017 – Sourcing Strategist

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback. Although the Alaska facility is no longer part of the Banner Health system we are always looking for areas to improve. We will pass this... More

3. "Great small hospital"

Current Employee - CT Tech in Fairbanks, AK
    Current Employee - CT Tech in Fairbanks, AK

I have been working at Banner Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been at FMH for over a year. I really like it. There are a lot of great people that know how to do their job. For a small isolated hospital, they are very efficient.

Cons

The only big employer in my career in the area. With that said pay is lower than it should be and I make less than I made in the south. They are a part of Banner Health which makes a small hospital feel corporate.

Advice to Management

Pay for experience. You will get to hire and keep employees much faster and longer. Keep communication open and transparent.

"Non-clinical"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairbanks, AK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairbanks, AK

I have been working at Banner Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Being hired at Banner Health saved my life.. people first and the people are great!

Cons

I can only speak English

Advice to Management

Favoritism is real. Borderline nepotism taking place. Team Lead uses position to monopolize hiring..

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Health Information Management Clerk in Fairbanks, AK
    Current Employee - Health Information Management Clerk in Fairbanks, AK

I have been working at Banner Health (Less than a year)

Pros

Great employees, employee appreciation, opportunity to learn and expand job duties

Cons

Leadership positions and other clinic-wide decisions seem to be made by who is friends with certain leadership.

Advice to Management

Advance employees by who knows what they are doing instead of those that have certain friends.

"Former Long Term Employee (Fairbanks)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairbanks, AK

I worked at Banner Health (More than 10 years)

Pros

Steady paycheck, standard benefits for industry, easy to stay employed as long as you meet minimum requirements. Great "play it safe" job.

Cons

Highly disorganized, yet overly structured. Extremely reactive company with sweeping changes that come anytime a shortcoming is realized. Company has attempted to control costs since 2009 by cutting a little from everyone overall (smaller raises, no bonuses) rather than make meaningful cuts.

7. "Working for Banner Health in 2 different facilities was an excellent experience"

Current Contractor - Registered Nurse in Fairbanks, AK
    Current Contractor - Registered Nurse in Fairbanks, AK

I have been working at Banner Health as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I worked in the Greeley, Colorado and the Fairbanks, Alaska Emergency departments as a traveling RN. I truly believe that their moto is happy employees lead to happy patients. I really felt like they cared about each individual employee, that we were not just a number. I would work for their facilities again.

Cons

I really don't know of many negatives, except that they don't have a position for me now as a Nurse Practitioner in the Emergency Department.

Advice to Management

Please, open more Acute Care Nurse Practitioner jobs available in the ERs.

"Business Office is Great Place to Start"

Former Employee - Patient Accounts Representative in Fairbanks, AK
    Former Employee - Patient Accounts Representative in Fairbanks, AK

I worked at Banner Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a great opportunity to learn and take on new tasks. The hospital is probably the best employer in the small town.

Cons

Software is old and out of date, high workload, high turn over. If you compare the hospital with one in the lower 48 - by far the lower 48 is more relevant and much more professional.

Advice to Management

meh..

"Unbelievable"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairbanks, AK

I worked at Banner Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big company, decent pay and benefits.

Cons

Banner in Fairbanks is toxic.
    The administration of the Fairbanks hospital, managed by Banner is a "good old boy" network that requires nurses to violate HIPAA laws and terminates those who object to their micromanagement of clinical departments. The administrative team repeatedly places "scapegoat" directors into departments that are failing financially secondary to administrative incompetence and then they fire or demote them...with the blessings of Banner AZ. Given that the Banner run hospital is the only hospital in the area, their treatment of staff is beyond heartless as they through professionals to the curb in an area where there are few healthcare jobs available. They cannot be trusted to treat the health professional equitably, they are treated based upon the emotions and personal opinions of the bad apples who have made their way into administration.
    The citizens of the community are NOT happy with Banner.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the needs of the patients, the productive staff, and the needed health programs for your community than you do to the financial whining of Banner AZ. Their woes are NOT Fairbanks woes.