Banner Health Reviews in Phoenix, AZ | Glassdoor

Banner Health Phoenix Reviews

Updated August 15, 2017

Phoenix, AZ Area

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits and culture of each facility (in 47 reviews)

• Leadership "walks the walk", they understand valued employees are obsessed with providing the best patient care (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of priorities make it challenging to focus on providing excellent patient care (in 36 reviews)

• They take care of upper management and forget about the worker bee's the people who hold the place together (in 32 reviews)

"RN"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

lower management seems concerned about getting you in the position or field that you are interested in.

Cons

Low pay for experienced nurses, low dismal raises for experienced nurses, company is all about hiring low paid scale new graduates. Disregard experienced nurses. Greedy administration. Big corporate greed at its worst. Unfortunately they own everything in Phoenix, not a lot of options for work at other employers .

Apr 11, 2017 – Sourcing Strategist

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback and take it very seriously. We will share this feedback with our nursing and compensation leadership teams. Please email us at... More

"Good but not great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They offer Good employee benefits

Cons

All about the botton line $$ not about the employee moral.

Advice to Management

Quit buying so many hospitals and focus on the ones you have.

Apr 11, 2017 – Sourcing Strategist

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. We are privileged to have you as an employee for more than 10 years! We will share your review and advice with the leadership team.

"Lost in an attempt to monopolize, not revolutionize healthcare."

I have been working at Banner Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some managers care, typically they are weeded out.

Cons

Very, very, very top heavy. Bonuses paid to administration while laying off personnel. Managers promoted if liked, even if they don't have the qualifications for the job, including experience or degree. Banner monitors all social media, will pursue employees who speak negatively. The CEO wanted a medical school so badly he was willing to cripple the system to obtain it.

Advice to Management

Eliminate half of the employees not providing patient care.

Apr 28, 2017 – Sourcing Strategist

Thank you for providing a review. We appreciate your feedback and take it very seriously. We will share this feedback with the appropriate leadership team. Please email us at... More

"Social Worker"

Current Employee - Social Worker in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Social Worker in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the front line staff are easy to work with.

Cons

The Case Mgmt Leadership at Baywood & Heart Hospital team are hostile & manipulative. They hire staff that are inexperienced to save money, while trying to run off the seasoned professionals that costs them more. Nepotism is rampant! Mgmt has less experience than the staff that they supervise and it shows in how they manage people!!!!

Advice to Management

Dictatorship does not work! Don't play favorites! Hire people who are qualified for the position! Treat staff with respect! Quit ignoring problems and targeting people you don't like!

May 3, 2017 – Sourcing Strategist

It is disappointing to hear this. We take all feedback seriously and would like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please email us at employment@bannerhealth.com to discuss.

"Hostile work environment and hands-off managers"

Current Employee - Pca in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Pca in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fringe benefits (discounts on tickets and stuff)

Cons

Banner has no idea what to do when it comes to improving its systems. Banner is spending money in the wrong areas trying to expand rather than to improve. I work at Banner University Medical Center at the old Good Sam location in Phoenix, and it's just terrible.

The hospital constantly has to deal with running out of supplies, the Cerner charting system going offline, not having enough staff, and overall very unhappy employees, especially on the 9th floor (Liver/Kidney).

Watching them build this huge new tower instead of putting those millions into the existing building to update it with ceiling lifts, a better charting system (EPIC), better supplies for patient care (wipes instead of washcloths for peri care), and hiring more staff makes it even worse.

Management is as hands-off as they come; how nice for them that they can just show up to collect a paycheck and not actually help their employees when they have an issue. The work environment is rife with gossip and trash talk about other employees followed by fake smiles when they're face to face. The worst part is that management allows it, and even participates. The nurse managers are oblivious and couldn't care less about what actually goes on except to nit pick about little things like "don't eat at the nurse's station", which we are forced to do at times because it's so busy.

This place does not invest in its staff, which is its first and best resource, so people are unhappy and leaving, especially on 9ACD.

Advice to Management

The culture on the 9th floor is so hostile and reminiscent of high school because of all the gossip and trash talk, and you just turn a blind eye instead of helping to establish a zero tolerance policy for hostility and harassment towards others. When people come to you with an issue, the only response is "oh wow, that sucks that it bothers you, what do you want to do about it?". You're the manager(s), it's YOUR job to tell the employee what you plan to do to help them, not the other way around. Start acting like bosses instead of high school mean girls and start caring about fixing the culture. The fact that you don't is the reason why people are quitting left and right.

Apr 26, 2017 – Sourcing Strategist

Thank you for providing a review. We take all feedback seriously and would like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please email us at employment@bannerhealth.com to discuss.

"Risk Adjustment, RN, Clinical Liasion"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Able to work from home

Cons

Poor communication streams from executive leaders to boots on the ground workers

Apr 11, 2017 – Sourcing Strategist

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. We are privileged to have you as an employee for more than 10 years! We will share your review with the leadership team.

"Banner Health Systems Review"

Current Employee - PRN Behavioral Health Technician in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - PRN Behavioral Health Technician in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Patient care and safety, professionalism, good communication, great self-scheduling tools.

Cons

They do not seem to hire people from PRN positions to FT positions, and would rather hire from POOL.

Advice to Management

Would like to see you hire people skilled in their educational disciplines at competitive rates rather try to train your own Social Workers without degrees in the discipline.

"Part-time job but working 40 hours a week"

Former Employee - Staffing in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Staffing in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Banner Health part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Average sort of salary.

Cons

Many managers were unfriendly to new employees. Some departments were not friendly to male staff. The Banner Staffing Service was not correctly represented as the part-time position that it is. No benefits while working as a staffer, regardless of working 40 hours/week.

Advice to Management

Don't tell people employed through the staffing service that it can be a path to full employment.

"New Grad RN"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Surprise, AZ
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Surprise, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Staff
    Great Unit Management
    Competitive Pay

Cons

More business minded than healthcare minded.

"A nightmare"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Banner Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A large company with lots of people, the company is on a growth spurt, too bad it is doing it on the backs of the hospitals.

Cons

Poor HR leadership, top leadership is completely out of touch with the front line staff. HR has completely turned over, got rid of the expensive experienced people and replaced with cheaper HR, treating the company like Target now!

Advice to Management

When top leadership always gets their bonus at the expense of front line staff, there is something wrong

Apr 17, 2017 – Sourcing Strategist

We appreciate the feedback and are always looking for areas to improve. We will pass this feedback on to our leadership team.