Banner Health Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Banner Health President and CEO Peter S. Fine
Peter S. Fine

Pros
  • Good benefits and culture of each facility (in 43 reviews)

• Amazing people with a passion for providing excellent patient care (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of priorities make it challenging to focus on providing excellent patient care (in 36 reviews)

• They take care of upper management and forget about the worker bee's the people who hold the place together (in 32 reviews)

"HR"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hospital leaders and employees truly care for their patients and seek to provide an exceptional consumer experience.

Cons

Uncertainty in the area of health care funding has resulted in challenges that has created a sense of unease in this work group.

Banner Health Response

May 8, 2017 – Sourcing Strategist

We appreciate your taking the time to leave a review. We are glad that you are part of the Banner Health team! We will be sure to share your feedback with the leadership team.

"RN"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

lower management seems concerned about getting you in the position or field that you are interested in.

Cons

Low pay for experienced nurses, low dismal raises for experienced nurses, company is all about hiring low paid scale new graduates. Disregard experienced nurses. Greedy administration. Big corporate greed at its worst. Unfortunately they own everything in Phoenix, not a lot of options for work at other employers .

Banner Health Response

Apr 11, 2017 – Sourcing Strategist

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback and take it very seriously. We will share this feedback with our nursing and compensation leadership teams. Please email us at ... More

"Part-time job but working 40 hours a week"

Former Employee - Staffing in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Staffing in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Banner Health part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Average sort of salary.

Cons

Many managers were unfriendly to new employees. Some departments were not friendly to male staff. The Banner Staffing Service was not correctly represented as the part-time position that it is. No benefits while working as a staffer, regardless of working 40 hours/week.

Advice to Management

Don't tell people employed through the staffing service that it can be a path to full employment.

4. "ED Tech Position"

Former Employee - Executive Director Tech in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Executive Director Tech in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Banner Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to learn/improve skills like venipuncture, foley catheter, ortho splints, and many other

Cons

Upper Mgmt invisible and rarely seen on the floor. Nurse Mgrs are non-supportive, tend to favor employees that are friends, never give positive feed back, but will ride you for minor mistakes.

Advice to Management

More communication with ALL members of the team, ask for feedback, post changes so that staff is informed when changes are made on procedure, in general - make yourself more available.

"Not what I expected"

Current Employee - PFS in Peoria, AZ
    Current Employee - PFS in Peoria, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bonus eligibility at the end of the year. Flexible schedule in the department I work in.

Cons

No accountability of other staff with management, If you work hard and others slack off you are expected to cover there slack. Minimal raises given for going above and beyond. Very little recognition for going to extra mile. Manager has her favorites that are allowed to do whatever. Poor communication from management. Overworked and underpaid for the job assigned. I am assigned more because I have shown I can do more but others on my team have been assigned less because thats what they produce and instead of making them produce more it just gets assigned to others that are performing.

Advice to Management

Communicate better, acknowledge those that are working hard and hold those that are not at the same standard and make them accountable. Give raises when they are due to those that earn them.

"Just ok"

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Banner Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co workers are nice and patients are nice.

Cons

Management is horrible they don't appreciate you and the company cares less about you.since I been there at least 10 people have left and they change things with out letting you know.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your good employees and offer them better pay and actually listen to us and keep your word.

"Toxic environment/Seldom develop or promote from within"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Banner Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large organization, plenty of room to move around. Great colleagues/intel shared within collaborative team. Some great practitioners and leaders in clinical groups. I had a phenomenal interim director 2 years ago and then they replaced him with an absolute idiot who had zero management experience or superior knowledge of our functional area.

Cons

Limited resources, compensation & benefits, and Paid Time Off due to being nonprofit. BEWARE: they offer PTO and then require you to use those hours for holiday time off (incl corporate holidays like the day after Thanksgiving). Zero tools and resources for employee development from staff RN up to Director level. Managers and Directors are hired with less education than their staff and therefore have no credibility when they need to lead a team. Zero cross functional collaboration.

Advice to Management

One of the most appalling organizations in terms of employment practices. Corporate office racism, sexism, and other concerning HR issues flooding teams and leadership at the nonclinical level. The most dysfunctional group of HR professionals I've ever experienced. A great case study for someone looking to take a company with lots of potential, and revamp HR/middle management.

"Good first job"

Former Employee - Physician in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Physician in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Banner Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good starting salary and support for new grads. Not somewhere I'd want to spend my whole career.

Cons

Just like any other corporation...even though it's technically a non profit...profits at banner health go towards administration salary and bonuses which come before their employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Retain good people rather than let them go.

"HS&E professionals be wary!"

Former Employee - HS&E Professional in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - HS&E Professional in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Banner Health (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you code blue they might be able to revive you.

The people are generally good. Banner cleaned house of many ineffective VPs from the old organization (don't know if the replacements are any better).

Cons

HS&E is severely under resourced. Want to be a one-person show for 6500+ employees and 10+ locations? That is what they expect from you. Ask how many Safety Officers they have had in the last two years. Ask how long each one lasted. The first lasted less than three months and the second stuck it out for about 10 months. There used to be ~3.5 positions three years ago.

The organization as a whole doesn't really care about HS&E (even when it was UMC years ago). Nurses are too busy to be trained, docs (ha!) don't follow the rules. The ED can't train in first receiver CBRNE because they are too busy. Not slamming the patient care departments, they have minimum head count so they really don't have time to train, but management does not support the training by providing time to train. Ask how (if) OSHA recordables are investigated and if corrective actions are identified and completed.

Pay is not competitive in the Tucson market.

Advice to Management

Hire more than one HS&E professional in Tucson! Realistically, between square footage, headcount, and location count, you need three senior professionals, and even that would be lean. Add a tech level and maybe you could keep up.

"Horrible Leadership, communication, and unequal treatment."

Former Employee - Human Resources and Talent Acquisition in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Human Resources and Talent Acquisition in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Banner Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you have a friend that is "connected" with the inside political circles you are in for an amazing job. Corporate jobs are fairly easy due to poor organization and work ethic. Large company with a big reputation.

Cons

Extremely political and biased leaders. Favoritism is prevalent and rampant including the HR department. They use unfair hiring practices giving some candidates extra help or opportunity during the hiring process while leaving others out. The Talent Acquisition department also makes cases and goals to target certain individuals who they dislike or pose objections. Whistleblowing to HR only paints a target on you. A corrupt system lead by the front lines in the TA and HR departments. Banner also has one of the lowest pay rates in Phoenix and they continue to change your job duties and add more to your workload.

Advice to Management

Get a third party to audit the department and/or hire one to take on whistlblowing and HR complaints. Increase pay rates. Revise performance evaluations and take better care of your employees; they are the face of your company.