Baptist Health (Florida) Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Baptist Health (Florida) President and CEO A. Hugh Greene
A. Hugh Greene

Pros
Cons
  • Very low pay in comparison to other facilities (in 11 reviews)

• Cut throat culture run by upper management (in 5 reviews)

1. "Baptist Heart"

I have been working at Baptist Health (Florida) full-time

Pros

Good way to get your foot in the door with Baptist

Cons

Always short staffed, and people are taking on more then they can handle

Advice to Management

Track your employees work better

2. "Certified Nursing Assistant"

I worked at Baptist Health (Florida) full-time

Pros

People are nice, especially nurses

Cons

Low pay and long hours. Lowest paid hospital in jacksonville

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better and actually hire managers with experience

3. "Love hate relationship"

Pros

Great co workers, some really great providers, a strong culture of patient first care. some of the best nursing I've ever seen but only on specific floors - other floors are completely dysfunctional and should be considered dangerous

Cons

Administration. They will do anything to save money and don't value physicians or providers at all. Will take PTO to pay for holidays. Very limited benefits and poor insurance deal considering we're the largest employer in NE Florida. ($55 co pays for routine PCP appts even on-site) all of which results in Very high turnover rate at all levels - physicians, administration and nursing which has significantly declined in the five years I've practiced here.

Advice to Management

Care about employees through salary and benefits rather than spending millions on pretty buildings and paying every Fox News anchor to do our PR. Maybe we could refund a hallway plant or designer bench to pay your providers slightly higher than the bottom 8% average salary.

5. "Non-Profit Attitude"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Baptist Health (Florida) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are good.

Cons

Employees don't have resoect for each other. If you don't work in the same department but have to work with each other there is no respect.

Advice to Management

Stop highering your friends

"Company has potential"

I have been working at Baptist Health (Florida) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the most part it is a good physical work environment. There is a lot of growth, so for those in certain areas this presents opportunities.

Cons

PTO is pathetic and despite what the leadership bleats out repeatedly, it is not up to industry standards. Upper management is concerned with profit at the expense of employee satisfaction. Many long-term employees will sabotage younger ones for the sake of job security. This can include lying to management, refusing to cooperate with training, or other acts that make for a hostile and less than productive work environment. Management tends to micromanage and is unrealistic in expectations.

Morale is very low, but as long as management receives bonuses they don't seem to care. Turnover is way too high, but the reasons behind it are ignored and will continue to be until it creates some sort of crisis within the organization.

Advice to Management

The company has potential to be a great place to work if upper management would listen to its employees. Quit focusing as much on expansion and focus more on the employees that make the hospital what it is.

7. "IT is a horrible place to work"

Current Employee - IS Analyst in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - IS Analyst in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Baptist Health (Florida) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Most of the employees are nice.

Cons

Cut throat culture run by upper management. They require you to work over 40 hours a week, they don't pay for on-call, very little time off, tons of stress, no one is happy in IT. The employee survey was really low and management does not care.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what your employees are saying. Reward good work, pay for on-call, allow file time, allow employees to work from home.

8. "Outpatient Neurology clinic"

Former Employee - Neurology ARNP in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Neurology ARNP in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Baptist Health (Florida) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was with Baptist Health in Jacksonville Florida since 2005 as an RN and went back to school for ARNP 2010-2012. No positions available for me when I graduated so I had to leave but returned when a position opened up less than a year later (but lost my vested seniority). The health system has Magnet designation where furthering education is very important second only to providing excellent evidenced based care to the patients. However, compared to other hospitals in the area, the pay is less. It is an "unspoken benefit" that being employed there makes up for the difference in pay. Although, working conditions are better compared to other hospitals in the area.

Cons

--I don't feel Baptist utilizes ARNPs to their highest ability. The education, care and time we spend with patients (time the physicians may not have) is invaluable and patients come to rely on us to explain or teach them.
    --Communication between middle management and staff is lacking severely.

Advice to Management

Communicate concerns before deciding to let staff go. Give adequate amount of time or severance package when provider positions are eliminated.

"Negative reviews are true..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

You earn a paycheck every two weeks.

Cons

High turnover in all departments and job groups.
    Terrible PTO policy - vacation, sick and holiday coverage (if your department is closed) all come from the same allotment. 6.77 hours earned per 80 hours worked every two weeks.
    Pay is low in comparison to other institutions.
    Parking is always an issue, including at the designated employee lots which are blocks away from the hospital.
    Attitudes from Senior leadership are borderline hostile.
    All are expected to provide support during emergency situations (ex: hurricane), including non-medical staff, which is not disclosed until you have been hired.

Advice to Management

Pay your "lower level" employees more and stop padding your own pockets. "Nonprofit" is used loosely as the money is being vested back to those at the top of the ladder, and all of the physicians. The values that Baptist once represented are no longer reflected.

10. "Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Baptist Health (Florida) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to move around within the system. New grad program. Decent benefits. Several locations to choose from.

Cons

Pay is fair. Seems to be a lot of turnover. They say the right things but don't always set up managers and workers for success. Shortage of staffing.

Advice to Management

Investigate why you have high turnover, and if you see that one of your upper managers has turnover problems - seek to fix or find a better fit. You say there is not a culture of "blame" but my experience tells me there most definitely is.

11. "Patient Access Rep in ED"

Pros

Good benefits, mostly nice co-workers, enjoyed interesting atmosphere in the emergency department, Chick-fil-A onsite, always meet new people

Cons

Terrible training from supervisors, very little feedback on job performance, long hours, very little flexibility with scheduling, bus transportation from outside lots took too long