Baptist Memorial Health Care Employee Reviews about "nurse"

Updated Oct 19, 2021

Found 20 of over 539 reviews

3.6
Baptist Memorial Health Care President and CEO Jason Little
Jason Little

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Low pay seems to be universal for everyone I spoke to.(in 35 reviews)
  • "Poor management, treat black employees and patients differently, hard to take off for PTO.(in 32 reviews)
  • "Also having the managers always away for meetings & the higher ups trying to set ridiculous expectations.(in 8 reviews)
  • "Senior Leadership lacks depth in Direction and Oversight(in 7 reviews)
  • "scheduling could sometimes be inflexible; department morale was low(in 7 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Baptist Memorial Health Care and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "nurse"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 4.0
    Current Contractor

Busy

Oct 6, 2021 - Registered Nurse in Rainsville, AL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice hospital, nice area, and a few awesome nurses I got to work with.

Cons

No teamwork, very short on PCA’s, high nurse patient ratios 1:8

2. 2.0

High patients ratio

Oct 19, 2021 - Registered Nurse
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits, great PTO, advancement opportunities,

Cons

High patients-nurse ratio, always short on staffing, upper management doesn’t care,

3. 4.0
    Current Employee

Stable work environment

Jun 8, 2021 - Medical Assistant in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Descent Benefits and nice work environment,

Cons

Salaries for support staff are low. No growth opportunities if you aren't a nurse. High turnovers.

4. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

It will get you where you want to go, but not for a long term position

Jun 28, 2021 - ICU Registered Nurse
    Business Outlook

Pros

Co-workers become family Professional staff Decent benefits Technology Plenty of opportunities

Cons

Business-oriented Do not care about employees Unsafe patient/nurse ratios Poor/unqualified management No holiday pay

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Church with a Hospital

May 10, 2021 - Registered Nurse in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some co-workers are great! Loved my Nurse Director a lot!

Cons

More emphasis on the Baptist way than patients. good nurses, but you can be easily removed.

6. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Don't let the fake reviews fool you

Jun 2, 2020 - Registered Nurse in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are't bad. There are no other pros to this job

Cons

Nurse to patient rations are 1-8 med/surg/tele. Stepdown is 1-5. PCA's hide and dont do much if you have any. Expect to do all the work yourself. Managers don't last long. There is no communication between managers and employees. The facility itself is very dirty. They have had to hire tons of travelers to fill staffing gaps. Morale is horrible.

7. 2.0

Overworked and under appreciated

Sep 29, 2019 - ICU RN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Charting system is nice.

Cons

Management does not advocate for you, nurse/patient ratios are bad

8. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

RN

Jul 22, 2017 - Registered Nurse in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

You learn to be self-sufficient.

Cons

I have been a nurse a year now. So far my entire nursing career has been at Baptist , and I can see why retention is an issue. For example, there is not enough staff for the demand of new patients, and yet the hospital (Baptist-Desoto) is building on to the ER to hold even more patients. Another issue is a program called KATA. There is a constant creation of new "KATA procedures" that should be stopped. Actual direct patient care staff input is NOT apart of the creative process. The managers/higher ups DO listen to the actual floor staff. They know the problem, and yet nothing is done to fix them. There is always a new "innovative" step being added to the direct patient care staff members workloads. Almost ALL of these steps are pseudo-fixes. Last but not least, the constant harassment to come to work on your off days.

6 people found this review helpful
  9. 3.0
    Current Employee

Great coworkers

Apr 28, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you prefer a small town atmosphere with limited specialized health care this is a good place. Great people work here and there are excellent physicians practicing here as well. You will find that your fellow nurses are your greatest assets and will help you in time of need. Not just with patient care but with helping by swapping schedules, being there in time of need, and taking that extra little bit of time to make sure your work is manageable.

Cons

If you prefer high level/acuity health care then look elsewhere. The corporate body is a little heavy in middle management area. Pay incentives are a thing of the past. Nurse to Patient ratios are highly "flexible" which is more related to personal staffing than patient acuity. High turnover but with several nursing schools in the area it seems that the plan is to keep hiring new nurses and not worry about keeping experienced nurses.

1 person found this review helpful
  10. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Registered nurse

Feb 11, 2016 - ICU RN in Oxford, MS
    Business Outlook

Pros

Need of money to support family. Enjoyment of caring for patients. Exposure to a wide variety of diagnosis in which to care for. Competitive salary paid in all departments.

Cons

Always short handed. This created safety hazards in many departments. This made the situation that caused my career ending injury in my back in the ct scan department. Because of short staffing there was only the scan employee and me to transfer a nearly 300 lb unconscious woman from bed to table. During the process I pulled out my back. I was never checked on by my head nurse even after discovering I had cancer and had surgery to rid my body of the cancer.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 20 Reviews