Barber National Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
John Barber, J.D.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "BNI a place you can begin and end"

I have been working at Barber National Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great support system, really believes in open door policy, opportunity for advancement if motivated,

Cons

Communication between all levels, office politics

Advice to Management

Need to improve teamwork

2. "Previous Employee; Not Much Nice to Say"

Former Employee - Residential Aide
    Former Employee - Residential Aide

I worked at Barber National Institute part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The clients are absolutely amazing. They taught me patience and how to truly love unconditionally.
    Once I got into a routine, I would have been able to go to work with my eyes closed.

Cons

In the three and a half years I was employed there I saw things go downhill quickly. It was very easy to see that the only thing upper management cared about was money. Although I never saw a raise; when I left I was making the same amount as the new hires.

Advice to Management

Be more concerned about the clients and less concerned about the dollars in your pocket. That's what Dr. Barber wanted.

3. "Part-time aide"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Barber National Institute part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Connections and rapport with clients

Cons

pay is low consider to other agencies. Staff is horrible. Never know who or what you will work with. I always say its never the clients its always the staff that have problems

Advice to Management

Keep good worker around and get rid of the ones that don't do there job or take care of the client effectively.

4. "Don't expect to be appreciated by anyone other than clients."

Current Employee - Residential Aide in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Residential Aide in Erie, PA

I have been working at Barber National Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits for full time employees.
    There are often many opportunities for over time hours.
    The clients.

Cons

Pay is mediocre compared to other agencies.
    Residential Managers can and will take advantage of your work ethic.
    Professional staff really do not care about you or even their clients deep down, don't expect to be listened to or appreciated.
    Ran like a business, not like an agency in charge of individuals entire lives.
    Not allowed to think for yourself, every direction comes from policies or management.
    Investigations are a joke.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, treat them like people rather than replaceable numbers!

5. "Human service agency"

I have been working at Barber National Institute full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule is what I like the best

Cons

Always changing the rules. Make changes across the. Oats and not based on one division even if things are completely different. Stern the two entities.

6. "TSS"

Current Employee - Tss in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Tss in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Barber National Institute part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Direct work with kids and families, great experience right out of college

Cons

A lot of independent work, must be comfortable asking for help and feedback because you won't get it otherwise

7. "Direct Support Professional"

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Erie, PA

I have been working at Barber National Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The residents are wonderful to work with (even individuals with behavioral issues/medical issues), staff are supportive and helpful. Managers and staff set a great example of team work.

Cons

I have been working with BNI for over 8 years. This agency does NOT pay well (unless you are upper management). You can go to other agencies and make $2.00 more.There are a lot of disgruntled employees. Over worked and under paid is an understatement. New onsite staff are promised to work in unrealistic situations. These new employees are looking for preferred hours, no behavioral or medical concerns, and feel they can do homework instead of attending to the residents. And once they realize the promises made are from people who never worked in the IDS homes, they put in their 2 weeks notice or transfer to another program. Homes are short staffed due to part time employees making $10.75 and full time making $10.00. When the houses are short on staff the supervisors expect you to just stay regardless of your own needs. Older staff are fed up with continuous changes and constant additions to workload (and the lack of raises). The turn over rate has reached an all time high. Minimal support given by upper management and when you try to address these issues you may become a target. I do not want to discourage applicants as the residents need loyal caring employees. But if you do not like the site of bodily fluids or upset clients this is not the job for you! You will be responsible for the care of these individuals. And the agency is opening new homes without being able to staff their current houses. Overall, if you like working with IDS/MH this could be a great job! You just don't always feel appreciated.

Advice to Management

Cut back on unnecessary positions. Give back to the staff. Listen to your employees. Give more incentives. Get more employees to work in the homes. Be more supportive.

8. "Finance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Erie, PA

I have been working at Barber National Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

work flexibility, professional team, great mission

Cons

funding is tight due to state budget

9. "Job Review"

Current Employee - Licensed Behavior Specialist Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Licensed Behavior Specialist Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Barber National Institute (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the flexibility of self-scheduling as well as interacting with a broad base of clients and families. My co-workers are also extremely supportive and available for routine consultations.

Cons

Meeting bi-weekly productivity expectations can be stressful due to time spent commuting throughout Allegheny County as well as unanticipated cancelations.

10. "Rewarding Job"

Pros

It is a rewarding job and the pay starts pretty well for a job in which you don't need a degree. You drive but don't have to use your own car. You get to do fun things like go out to eat or take clients places, and you get free food in the homes.

Cons

They are not the most flexible, especially when it comes to mandatory classes or orientation. It has taken me months to get certified to pass medications and still have heard nothing about getting started.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and their concerns.