Barbizon Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Dave Harris

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The opportunity to grow within the company is huge (in 4 reviews)

• there is room for growth if you do well enough (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • If you can't make it in this role you're dropped to part time which means they just want you to quit and will make you miserable until you do so (in 7 reviews)

• As for the occasional long hours, I challenge you to name a job where no one had to help one another and stay a later than intended (in 6 reviews)

1. "Instructor"

I worked at Barbizon part-time

Pros

Friendly teammates. Owner is nice and encouraging.

Cons

Job is only one day per week as parttime.

"Sales/admissions director/talent scout"

Former Employee - Sales in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Sales in Tampa, FL

I worked at Barbizon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Schedule 3pm-9pm. Meet lots of amazing ladies!

Cons

This was by far the very worst job I have ever had in my entire career and I was so good at it. Save yourself the anguish of depleting your soul. HORRIBLE company culture!

Advice to Management

Close!

"“Sales director”"

Former Employee - Director of Talent Acquisition in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Talent Acquisition in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Barbizon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No PROS nothing good to add here

Cons

AVOID!! Management/owner only care about money

Advice to Management

They should pay their directors a decent amount no minimal wage. This company is a joke. They only treat well if you bring them a lot of money otherwise you mean nothing to them. Lots of favoritism! Long hours without eating. They pay is the worst I ever seen.

"Don’t waste your time"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Barbizon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Will hire young college students , or interns . (Of course so they can pay them very little )

Cons

There’s so many negative things I could say . I’m embarrassed I gave a company like this my time . Again just don’t waste your time . You’ll go in and they basically SALE you unrealistic goals , tell you about all this money you can make and you won’t . They fire and hire almost every 4 months .

Advice to Management

There wouldn’t be such a high turn over rate if employees were treated well. Trainings are a waste of time . Not a company you can grow with .

"Corporate Bullies at it's finest. (Find a job that you can be proud of.)"

Former Employee - Talent Scout in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Talent Scout in Tampa, FL

I worked at Barbizon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

+ They are always hiring.
    + No experience necessary, they will give you a script to read.
    + No background checks or drug testing.
    + You get to travel...to the same places over and over again.
    + You receive a cash per diem, spend wisley as you can not eat and drink on this amount. (Two drink minimum is the norm).
    + You get to keep your airline miles.
    + If you are serious about climbing the company ladder, invest in a carton of cigarettes, this way you have your finger on the company pulse and privy to the best gossip.
    + Make friends with your co-workers as these are the ones who will show you the ropes. Managers are too busy running declined credit cards.
    + Mandatory meetings with the self described fabulous brand ambassador meetings, he will motivate you "You Better Work"!
    + Managers bother you to "write a great review for the company".
    + Vacation time is any month with 5 weeks but there will be a mandatory Extra Search that you will be required to work.
    + Presentators are paid $250 per presentation if you are interested in presenting ask your manager for a copy of the script and insert your background. If you do not have any experience just make something up, nobody will know anyway.
    + Team Managers are paid salary plus bonuses based on a sliding scale. Remember that "you are only as good as your last search".
    + You are graded at the end of the year based on how many students that you enroll into the Barbizon program, if you work hard you could earn an acrylic star! Isn't that exciting!?!

Cons

-If you drink enough of the company "Kool-aide" you will believe it too! LBR Barbizon IS A SCHOOL! A Franchised School. Barbizon has NEVER had a license to book talent on any job! (Per the Florida Department of Professional Business Regulations) Barbizon can introduce talent to agents/managers who could potentially book them. This is only for regional competitions and PTD which cost money.
    - Search weekends if you are a woman you will be required to room with another
    woman but if you are a man you will get your own room.
    - Dress code applies to employees and students NOT necessarily management.
    - You are OOT two weekends per month and home two, you are required to make a minimum of 50 appts before work Monday. This leaves you with no family/free time... ever.
    + You are calling kids, almost every parent wants to know why you are calling their child. The other parents will do anything for fame! You are selling a dream. Nobody needs these classes, especially for $2495.00.
    -The selection committee does not exist. If you can afford to pay, Congratulations! Your job is to make sure that they can afford the classes, they have the time, ask about the grades and find out who is paying. Smart parents will know that its all about the money especially since they hold searches in mostly cheap hotels insketchy areas of town in cheesy ballrooms hoping that Harvey Weinstien doesn't pop out from behind the curtains.
    -Classes have been recently updated but not even close to industry standards, the agents that Barbizon works with will say anything for a talent sponsored vacation and chance to party!

Advice to Management

- Parents who pay for competitions or PTD expect the agents whose names are on the businesses to be there not some agency rep who is fun to party with. Background checks for these agents/reps may be necessary as you are interacting with young people and their parents.
    -Graduates think they are being called for legit modeling jobs only to find out they are just recruiting more girls for classes or working at search events.
    -Advice to management falls on def ears, they only care about the numbers.
    -Dont wait 5 years to try to get to know your employees

6. "I loved it"

Pros

I loved my position and the places I got to work at.

Cons

I have none I can think of.

7. "Promotions Manager"

I worked at Barbizon full-time

Pros

Amazing working with upper management.

Cons

You can be replaced easily if you do not help the company grow.

"Talent Director (sales)"

Former Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Barbizon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Zero, none, zilch. I have nothing good to say as far as pros. Please don't consider Barbizon as a place of employment.

Cons

If lying to children and their parents appeals to you, this is a great job. We were advised to target families who couldn't afford the classes because they had "dreams of stardom" for their children. This was a dark and ugly place of employment. Talent was never discussed, nor were the childrens' appearances ever a consideration. It was all about money. We were encouraged to create a false bio to develop credibility. And we were taught to have children as young as 6 years old do fake auditions.

What's worse, there are no days off. Seriously. On your day off the texts start rolling in telling you that you need to come in and get on the phone because your numbers aren't high enough.

Parents are often furious that you're calling their children.

It's disgusting. Don't even go for an interview. And never make the mistake of putting Barbizon on your resume.

Advice to Management

You should be ashamed.

"Current/Former Employer"

Former Employee - Junior Ambassador
    Former Employee - Junior Ambassador

I worked at Barbizon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I learned how to further investigate companies before applying

Cons

I was way too trusting. I wasn't paid a cent for relocation expenses when I moved to the state the position was located, yet my manager requested to see a lease to prove I was locked in for at least a year. Then, the commitments made to me regarding my job were full of lies. I ultimately became a collections and sales representative. There were tons of parents who complained about the services they received and I felt so bad for them. However, if I didn't convince them to pay on their account my job was at risk. This company is poorly managed and has no regard for their customers. I share this because you need to keep your kids from working here and from spending a ridiculous amount of money for training. BTW, they also only hire 18 year olds or people who haven't attended college so management can control and disrespect each person (or so they believe). Beware of this organization.

Advice to Management

This company needs to revisit a real strategy to hire the right employees (starting at the top of each regional office) and be honest with the employees you are hiring about their roles.

"Loved, Loved , Loved"

Former Employee - Director in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Director in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Barbizon part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

An awesome opportunity to encourage, and empower students to be their personal best.

Cons

Regional Management issues were rarely resolved fairly. Lots of favoritism.