Barbizon Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dave Harris

Pros
  • Barbizon not only teaches modeling and acting but personal development and self confidence (in 8 reviews)

• You get to encourage young girls that may have some sort of self esteem issues (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Most leave before a year or are demoted because of their numbers to part time in the booking room (in 7 reviews)

• As for the occasional long hours, I challenge you to name a job where no one had to help one another and stay a later than intended (in 6 reviews)

1. "Jr. Ambassador"

Current Employee - Junior Ambassador in Tampa Palms, FL
    Current Employee - Junior Ambassador in Tampa Palms, FL

I have been working at Barbizon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for the company for over 4 years now, and I recently changed departments, I feel in love with the Education program. What it does for kids is amazing. Now being with the competition team it is such a close family environment. They are a hard working team with involved supervisors and a true team feeling.

Cons

The hours are crazy, but good if you hate sitting in traffic.

2. "Loved, Loved , Loved"

Former Employee - Director in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Director in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Barbizon part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

An awesome opportunity to encourage, and empower students to be their personal best.

Cons

Regional Management issues were rarely resolved fairly. Lots of favoritism.

3. "Senior Education Coordinator"

Current Employee - Senior Education Coordinator in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Education Coordinator in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Barbizon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Education Department at Barbizon USA is incredible! We have a fabulous program that equips boys & girls to be educated in all areas of the industry. Our program also provides personal development training to raise up confident, kind, & respectful kids. The Education Department at the Corporate Office (in Tampa, FL) is here to make sure that each school & family of ours across the country is set up for success. It is easy to work for a company whose values you believe in. The Education Department is a tight-knit team. We celebrate every employee's birthday with a surprise celebration & hilarious theme! I think things like this make each employee feel valued & seen in our Corporate Office.

Cons

Working at Barbizon USA's Corporate Office is not like any other Corporate Office. The hours are not '9-5.' We strive to accommodate our clients so we are open until 9pm throughout the week. Of course, that means that most employees start work & leave work later. This type of schedule does not work for everyone.

Advice to Management

Continue to have an 'open door' policy :)

"Run for the Hills. Fast!"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Barbizon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Near Trainstation if that's a pro. I saw no pros working here. This place is a complete waste of time.

Cons

This place is much like the movie Get Out. Easy to get in, but once you're in there you suddenly realize that it probably wasn't the best decision to come aboard. The staff there are bonafide bullies, extremely childish and passive-aggressive. They staff there is cliquish and frankly borderline evil! It's as if they are parallel to normal humans- totally bizarre! Mgmt gives you a title
    Of Director to basically give you some dignity (since you will loose all of it working there) but all you are is a salesperson. There is no salary, which is ridiculous in New york City- NEW YORK CITY. You can't wear pants when interacting with families, according to them you have to be "Lady Like" A totally outdated ideal that speaks to the mentality of the people that run this place. The owners are a pair of very strange folks..Something is a bit off with them, and the workers there totally brown nose them- and if you don't you will be a target. This place totally demeans and debase staff. There are no benefits, no salary, no professionalism. You have to give up your weekends so say goodbye to family time and being off on at the same time as your husband/friends/parents! Say goodbye to going out Friday nights too. The place is a total Sh*thole to work in.

Advice to Management

Pay a salary! To the husband and wife pair that owns the company- create a salary!! Too much is being sacrificed by your staff to not have one! And stop brainwashing your staff with Sales schtick and mumbojumbo hypnosis jargon- Most of us see right thru that BS and RUN!

"Full time - Part time depends on "their" mood"

Former Employee - Appointment Setter in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Appointment Setter in Tampa, FL

I worked at Barbizon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really can not say there are a lot of pros. I guess the hours? If you have Dr appointments, getting children ready for school those hours would work

Cons

MANAGEMENT: In the kindergarten room ~~ oh sorry the appointment setters room. You are talked too very unprofessional. One minute your FT next minute your PT and always threatening to cut your pay and "if" you have insurance that is played with as well. I have seen the revolving door one too may times and left. Some on break smoke pot and the entire room smells like it and nothing is said. However if your .0005% off of the "shows" girls that show up for interview , you're told you are on a 30 day watch and will go PT REALLY!! And then.......as an APPOINTMENT SETTER YES YOU are responsible for what the director closes. YES the DIRECTOR flies to the city and "evaluates" YOUR appointments. And "if" they DON'T "CLOSE" YOU YES YOU are held accountable........as appointment setters we NEVER see the girls being evaluated. Some directors don't bother to call them back and again YOU as an appointment are responsible for what is said at the "information session. And if you're off again by .0005% you will be bullied into going PT. The so called "soft leads" well.... they are about 4 to 5 years old. You have "girls" answering that are now 24 and 25 married with kids!! But NO don't delete their phone number we can get them in passport to discovery (that's a whole other story) so recycled leads no innovative way of marketing to the iphone/driod generation.

Advice to Management

LEADS LEADS LEADS!!! Stop managing with threats and told you're this close to being put to PT of terminated. WHY?? Shouldn't ALL companies provide a welcoming work environment, I mean really we spend most of our time with YOU. NO ONE should EVER have to worry day in day out if their job is on the line and that's how you are treated in "that room" EVERY SINGLE DAY wondering if it's your last. Too much stress for $12 an hour.

"Booker"

Former Employee - Booker in Tampa Palms, FL
    Former Employee - Booker in Tampa Palms, FL

I worked at Barbizon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Decent environment, some employees are friendly/out-going.

Cons

- Once you work there, it's all a staged act of kindness.
    - Very rude to employees,
    - Cutting hours for no reason, when they will at the end need people working.
    - Don't get any recognition for the work you put in.
    - Terrible 'Tech/IT' team.
    - Terrible pay for the work you do day in and day out.
    - Hours are wack, all over the place.
    - Girls who work the mall events are pretty much signing people up to follow their steps and ending up doing the same thing.. working at the malls.

Advice to Management

Learn to act more effiecent and professional towards the people who make your job a breeze. If it wasn't for us, you'd have to do it all. Management turns their backs on you, and you get punished for no reason. The same method of manipulation is used at the searches/auditions, it's all a big phony stunt and people buy it.

"Director of Admissions"

Former Employee - Director in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Director in Tampa, FL

I worked at Barbizon (More than a year)

Pros

I made lots of money (POOR training) in the beginning, and then you go into a downward spiral.

Cons

Training is terrible. Even the big bosses back stab and gossip is uncontrollable from the top down. Once you start making money, they switch your searches and make it rough to make money. You can't even figure out your paycheck, and when you ask, they get angry. The company is a revolving door except for a few. If you work the hours they tell you to work, you will not be successful. Your script is a lie and basically it's all about the money, not the girls and the promise to them is not realistic at all. It's a shame!! It's a scam!! There is no support between departments. They will tell you that you can make $100,000. Don't believe this! Most girls are making minimum wage because of OLD leads!! The leads are cold leads and people filling them out don't know that the calls will come in and they don't take you off the list, even 3-4 years later the parents are still getting harassed by phone calls. Find a legitimate company that cares about their employees. Most leave before a year or are demoted because of their numbers to part time in the booking room. They also call school leads that are illegal! Steer clear!!

Advice to Management

Tell the truth!! The parents are spending money for something that is not a reality. The different departments all hate each other!! It's a joke!

Barbizon Response

May 15, 2017 – Internal Communications Team

While we are sorry you feel this way and sorry our company was not a good match for you, we feel it necessary to provide readers the truth of our processes and employee policies. Unfortunately, your ... More

"BUYER BEWARE"

Current Employee - Admissions Director in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Admissions Director in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Barbizon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hours are great if you like to sleep n

Cons

You're hired under the assumption that you're able to make a lucrative income with great hours and perks. The reality is there are maybe 4 successful people out of 50. Once you pass the 90 day pay guarantee you're on a straight commission. If you have a "bad search" you're paid minimum wage for that 2 week period. Happens all the time. The goals are unrealistic and the leads are just spread too thin. Oh! Here's a good one...one week out of the 2 week cycle you'll work overtime hours...which you get paid for, but then they reduce your commission check to make up for that extra pay!

The company provides the sales department with all the leads. Tons of these leads are old, cold, and not even qualified! When your hired you're told that you have certain days off and this is just a lie. Every 2 weeks you're lucky to have 1 or 2 days off. They consider your travel day a day off! If you don't make your numbers you WILL work 7 days a week. Sometimes for minimum wage, $8.05 an hour.

Vacation time? None. You're asked to do an extra search with the promise of additional income but it just isn't worth it. If you decline to do this extra search you will have 5 days "off" for your vacation which just means working from home instead of in the office. Oh, and holidays? Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor day, etc. Forget about spending time with friends or family...you will work MORE before and after any and all holiday in order to make up for the lost day. Yes, make up hours for the holiday day off. You will work the days before and after Thanksgiving, you will work Christmas eve and the day after. You will work New Years Eve.

If you can't cut it in the position of sales director you're dropped down to an appointment setter, which is an even worse job working in the call center. this job is all on the phone with the same bad leads, bad pay and more work at holiday time. If you can't make it in this role you're dropped to part time which means they just want you to quit and will make you miserable until you do so.

I can only speak for the sales department but from what I know there are very few employees who are happy with this company. They mislead you, lie to you, and have little to no care for their employees. The negativity and gossip is rampant and just not a good environment. Fighting and drama in the office is commonplace. The negativity is so terrible it's mentioned in the company newsletter every month.

You will read rebuttals to this review and others like it. They probably have a team dedicated to damage control, not only from employees like myself, but from their consumers as well.

I wouldn't recommend this job or this company. Here's a tip: google Barbizon!

Advice to Management

Treat your staff better and stop using punishment as a means of getting desired results.

"NO one gets to work from home: Promises are made and never fulfilled"

Current Employee - Director in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Director in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Barbizon (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get mornings and early afternoons off, for the most part

Cons

You work all the rest of the time. Management is cruel, tells everyone they're expendable. Highly unethical business practices are encouraged, and it's basically a glorified call center for a "school" that can teach children good behavior, manners, and a little bit about modeling. The curriculum is antiquated and genuine talent scouts despise it, so there's not much future for the girls who "graduate". Word gets out, reviews are online, and you're told to work around all that. The company is SO mismanaged, you wonder what the REAL story is.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to everyone about what this is. Quit hiring constantly. If you were evaluated by your turnover rate, you'd all be making minimum wage, like the rest of us.

Barbizon Response

Mar 13, 2017 – Internal Communications Team

While we appreciate every employee review we receive, no matter the tone of the review, we do try to offer prospective employees who use glass door as a trusted resource, an honest look at our ... More

10. "Director of Education"

Former Employee - Director of Education in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Director of Education in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Barbizon (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome experience. I absolutely loved working with the girls and my instructors. I would have loved to have done this job full time.

Cons

It was only offered as a part time, weekend job.