Barchester Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Barchester Healthcare CEO Pete Calveley
Pete Calveley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Care Staff are hard working and thoughtful (in 10 reviews)

• Staff all work well together and are hard working (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Being left to look after 17 people alone because of short staffed/no one calling agency (in 10 reviews)

• Long hours poorly paid, dont always get a tea break unless you smoke that is (in 8 reviews)

"Current CEO and senior management couldn't care less"

Former Employee - Ops Manager in National City, CA
    Former Employee - Ops Manager in National City, CA

I worked at Barchester Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I struggle to find anything positive to say anymore. Barchester used to employ superb people but they have all had enough and are leaving in droves. They used to have a brilliant reputation, the management structure was flat, everyone felt that they were part of something special. Not any more. It's all about profit now. Nothing else seems to matter to the current CEO.

Cons

Barchester used to make the 25 Best Big Companies list every year. But they won't get it again. Staff no longer feel valued. Promises are made to new staff but it's all a con. Attrition rates are shocking. The Business School no longer exists and staff development is a joke as the company has slashed its L&D budget yet Barchester continues to claim that their career training is the best in the business. The current board and senior managers have established a hierarchical dictatorship akin to a 1980's corporation which seeks to treat its middle managers like mushrooms.

Advice to Management

Barchester deserves a CEO who's in it for the long haul and cares about the company. Get rid of the so called 'transformation team' and appoint senior managers who care about barchester and its staff. Head Office is full of newly appointed directors with CV's that demonstrate serious job hopping; Barchester is just another notch on their LinkedIn profiles.

"Disgraceful"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

Pros

Clients deserve a little help, have met some very interesting people over the years

Cons

No staff, rude management, lack of backing from anyone as they will get it from management. Clients are being neglected, if families complain it is staff who get blame?

Advice to Management

Leave ! Your people skills are disgraceful, your professional manner is wrong, you don't respect anyone so why expect it back?

Feb 23, 2015 – Recruitment Marketing Manager

We are sorry hear of your experience whilst working for Barchester and take your comments very seriously. Barchester never use the term ‘client’, we are a family and strive to make our homes safe... More

"A general managers/nurses point of view"

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Barchester Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Barchester used to be very quality focused, lot of effort went into change, seeking and acting on views of front line staff and real improvements were taking shape to the benefit of residents and staff alike, things started to go south 12 months ago

Cons

Some operational changes over the past 12 months left me feeling like I was not able to provide the services I wanted to, i was expected to deliver high quality care but was not given the autonomy or support to implement it and further pressurised (in an extreme way)to meet business agendas like agency use and occupancy of the home, to the point where I could no longer get out of my office to see the residents or the staff because of excessive requests to complete and send reports, respond to emails and attend pointless conference calls which were nothing more than an excersise in blame for not meeting company targets of the challenges that the entire industry is facing at present and dressed up as a “support call”

Once the CQC ratings had signifcantly improved across the company, it felt like the priority shifted from change and improvement towards making profit and became a case of filling beds first and quality second, which contradicted not only the company’s “quality first” mantra but more importantly my personal values to the care of vulnerable people. I was left with no option but to sadly tender my resignation and leave a company that I had believed and trusted for the past 7 years of my career.

Advice to Management

There are many good qualities to the company, however the attitudes of certain individuals in positions of high authority outside of the care homes themselves need to be managed and reigned in before the damage they cause is irreversable

I left in 2017, but stayed in touch with colleagues who tell me it is getting no better in fact it is getting worse and I write this for them, in the hope that someone may take notice of it, I’m not bitter, angry or disgruntled, I just care which is why we are all in this industry, isn’t it ??

Feb 13, 2018 – Social Media Exec

Delivering exceptional person-centred care and support is always our focus - and always will be. We do need to make a profit, otherwise we wouldn't be able to invest in our services and staff, but... More

4. "slave labour at Bryn Ivor Lodge"

Current Employee - Health Care Professional in Newport, Newport, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Health Care Professional in Newport, Newport, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Barchester Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

lovely residents, some nice staff, modern building and facilities, good training but too short, good food for the residents, plenty of parking, friendly kitchen staff.

Cons

long hours, missed breaks, inadequate training, unsafe staffing levels, high staff turnover, very challenging client group, very stressful place to work, pressure on staff to cover for others absence, greedy profit motivated company at the expense of resident care.

Advice to Management

more staff, better longer training, less money grabbing from the top and better care for residents

Feb 19, 2018 – Social Media Exec

Delivering exceptional care and support is our priority, which is why we’re disappointed to hear that you feel our staffing levels aren’t what they should be. We’re continually looking to drive... More

5. "Neglect"

Current Employee - Carer in Fontwell, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Carer in Fontwell, England (UK)

I have been working at Barchester Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

free meals and occasional tea breaks

Cons

everything wrong and sometimes dangerous

Advice to Management

How can one carer look after residents in house? The other evening 2 residents slept in their armchairs in their room (and dayclothes) as he couldnt manage doing EVERYTHING. What if something had happened to carer eg: taken ill ?

6. "This is how they "Care " for residents"

Current Employee - Personal Care Assistant in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Barchester Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are not many pros in this company

Cons

There are so many cons it's hard to know where to start.
    There are major cutbacks to staff which leaves residents and staff in a dangerous position. Only 1 carer at night , you are supposed to get help from another unit again with only 1 carer. This doesn't work as the carers are too busy to help on another unit . 25 + residents to 1 carer. Last week 2 residents were left to sleep in their chairs fully dressed but no covers on them . This was due to the 1 carer needing help to hoist these residents but nobody could help.
    Is this how Barchester care for the older generation who deserve to be treated with some respect in their old age.
    Again they had crumpets that hadn't been toasted as the staff member didn't have time. They all got thrown away , what a waste !! The residents complained about them but nothing gets done. There isn't even any jam to put on the bread !!

This company is now all about profit , the care side has gone.
    Money is wasted on stupid things that don't need doing yet the residents suffer.
    The staff are always short , then they use agency staff who don't know what to do. So far this year 40 staff started and 21 left WHY ??? This proves that Barchester have a big problem in holding onto the staff they have .
    Even some residents say " it's managements fault not the care staff " The homes look nice inside and outside , but life inside is horrid.

Advice to Management

Look after the staff you have . Employ more staff instead of cutting staff. Staff cannot keep working 60 hours a week. We all have a home life . Don't think about profits you should think" is this how I would like to be treated in my ln my old age " !!! One day they this could be you in a care home they way Barchester homes care for their residents.

"Shocking resemblance with Four Season's approach few years back...same modus operandi!"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in London, England (UK)

I worked at Barchester Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most staff are fantastic people led by poor leaders above general managers

Cons

Going back to Four Seasons and Barchester similarities... same 3 big divisions formed, same initial focus on increasing quality in the first 2 years of a particular leader and same damage after the push on quality to get all the financial gain posible.. In the meantime people lives are placed at risk and nobody does a thing!! Business is one thing, greed is dangerous...

Advice to Management

Advice to top leaders: what goes around, comes around..just hope you will not end up in nursing homes run by people like you..

Feb 14, 2018 – Social Media Exec

Delivering exceptional person-centred care and support is always our focus – and always will be. We do need to make a profit, otherwise we wouldn’t be able to invest in our services and staff, but... More

"Nurse"

Former Employee - Staff Nurse in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Staff Nurse in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Barchester Healthcare part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A fair salary. Residents were reasonably happy with the service, as were families.

Cons

No sick pay encouraged carers to come in when they were unfit to work. Staff to patient ratios were dangerous at best.

Advice to Management

Put people above profit and you will not have to pay agency workers and provide better care for our elderly.

Jan 25, 2018 – Head of Social

We’re sorry you’ve left Barchester feeling negative. We continue to improve the support and guidance we offer our employees. Happiness within the business is vital, so your feedback is important. If... More

"Bring back the care side"

Former Employee - Personal Care Assistant in West Dean, East Sussex, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Barchester Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are not any pros working for this company

Cons

There are lots of cons working for this company . The homes look nice but yhey are run like a hotel not a csre home the care has gone from Barchester. Relatives are told a pack of lies when the come for a look round. If only they knew what happens in real life . There are not enough care assistants to look after these people who pay a lot to stay in one of the Barchester homes.
    Understaffed , not enough pads , food or bedding for the residents. The food isn't as it says on the menu shown in reception. No cakes , biscuits or chocoat. When CQC come round a good show is put on. You have to lie to them or you face the sack. The workload is non stop all day on a 12 hour shift. At night there is one carer to 22 residents. You work in the kitchen then doing care all in thr sane uniform. CQC told nobody does both jobs its a lie. Dementia residents in the house instead of the dementia units. They take them in for the money and to fill a room . The care has gone out of these homes the residents are not cared for the way they should be in their final years . It's all about prof it. Cutbacks every where to a dangerous level. No activities only flower arranging or nail painting. When I see how other care homes are run where you can stay for half the price of Barchester homes, it makes Barchester awful. I wouldn't put my dog in one of these homes let alone a family relative. Instead of building more homes you should be looking after the homes and staff you have. If you are in with the manager you are ok. Bulling is a common ocurance in the home I was in. Staff are very clicky and hang around together. If one goes for a break then the other one goes with them . Those that smoke gets lots of breaks unlike their Co workers. In these homes it's one rule for one person and another rule for another person depending if you are liked or not.

Advice to Management

Listen to the care assistants , they know the job and the residents better than you do

Feb 8, 2018 – Head of Social

"Care"

Current Employee - Carer
    Current Employee - Carer

I have been working at Barchester Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Staff are working there butts off to give residents the care they need. Night staff are not coping with only three staff as we have a lot of residents with difficult needs. We are on low wage and I have an nvq 3 and I am on low wage and not a senior carer even though I have asked.

Cons

Management don’t care about staff they are not getting recruits in. They expect us to work with minimum staff which makes us ill and have time off work we don’t even get sick pay which I think is disgusting. Staff are getting to stressed because management and higher up don’t understand what we do for these residents all they care about is getting more money in by assessing residents that shouldn’t be put into our home.

Advice to Management

My advice is think more about your residents that are already in the home. I think if your parents or grandparents were in a home you would be the first to complain if they were not getting good care

Jan 2, 2018 – Head of Social

We’re sorry you have a negative view of life as an employee at Barchester. We’re dedicated to providing our employees with the best support. If you would like to give us further information regarding... More