Barclays Reviews in New York, NY | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Office Politics"

Former Employee - Analyst- RRP in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst- RRP in New York, NY

I worked at Barclays full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good salary and perks.

Cons

Office politics and high turnover in assistant positions. HR is not there to protect or help you. It doesn't matter how great you are; all that matters is if you are close friends with management. You will get set up and tossed out even if you have proof of bullying, HR will not hear you or take you seriously. You're done.

Advice to Management

Maybe if you spend les money hiring and firing and retain good people, the company wouldn't be in the jeopardy it's in right now and steadily going down!

"gender gap"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Barclays full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great NY headquarters location.
    Internal transfer are possible.

Cons

The risk management of the firm has shifted and is now set up in a very conflictual mode where members of the risk organization are encouraged to be aggressive and to use tough language towards their counterparts. Whether that comes from top managers is unclear but it appears to be related to the addition of personal in managing roles with prior-experiences from other banks. There is a clear gap between the official company culture and the day to day working environment that does not promote collaboration.

Being a woman inside Barclays in NY is very difficult. My new manager explained to me on his first day that I would certainly have kids soon and that in anticipation I should adjust my schedule. Most of the new hires are men and were engaged with less experience at a higher pay rate and with a higher ranking. I first thought I was misinterpreting events but my opinion in a masculine-only environment started to be frequently overlooked. I even reached out to receive some mentoring from successful women in the firm but that did not help. Some of them aknowledged that they were not really happy with their responsabilities and pay. I also learned that other women had experienced similar situations. The situation was much different in the UK where the salary gap between me and my male colleagues appeared much less asymmetrical and my opinions were equally valued.

I also experienced akward situations related to diversity for instance a colleague and I were singled out as assets not for our contribution but for our ethnicity. While several other awkward situations occurred I think this may be an isolated problem specific to our department. It raises the question of the oversight from HR and/or top management on yet another theme that impacts the working environment.

Advice to Management

I would advise a stricter scrutiny from HR on gender gap (salary, promotion and new hire).
    I would recommend fostering a more collaborative environment between risk and business.

"Associate"

Former Employee - Associate, Investment Banking Division in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate, Investment Banking Division in New York, NY

Pros

International bank, decent reputation on the street

Cons

Poor senior mentor ship, extremely political, people of color absolutely treated differently

Advice to Management

Bring your idea of diversity into the 21st century

Barclays Response

Apr 18, 2017 – Head of Resourcing

I am very concerned to read your comments that you have experienced different treatment. I can see that you worked in our Investment Bank and I will pass this on to them and I know they will treat... More

4. "Vice President"

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Barclays full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong investment banking franchise; top tier in select business lines

Cons

Poor leadership, lack of upward mobility, unfair pay, long hours

"Head of Cash Equities and Equity Capital Markets Legal"

Former Employee - Head of Cash Equities and Equity Capital Markets Legal in New York, NY

I worked at Barclays full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No pros. Company is adrift and legal department is poor.

Cons

Management is inconsistent, legal department has very low moral and support by the business.

Advice to Management

Walk the talk.

"assistant vp"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Barclays (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible work schedule, nice nyc location

Cons

high turnover, overworked, under payed

Advice to Management

hire competent senior management to effectively operate

7. "Client onboarding hell"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

The payroll check cleared and that's it.

Cons

Micro-manager from hell and his superior unaware of it leads to horrible possibilities.

8. "Never Ever going back"

Former Employee - PM in New York, NY
    Former Employee - PM in New York, NY

I worked at Barclays (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing i could think of......

Cons

Worst place to work for. Importance will be given to the consultants. If you are full time or contractor than you are your own. You have to work for the consultants, work for them while they are gone for long lunches or left for the day or working from on Fridays / Mondays. They will take all the credits and you will look like a full. You might think to talk to your manager or his/her manager but it won’t help as I did many times. There were 6 employees in my team and then 5 left in 4 months due to this consulting firm and then I end up leaving too. I have seen 12+ people left in 6 months (including contractors) and Barclays absolutely did nothing to improve the work environment but hiring more consultants from this firm :)

And yes don’t forget long hours, weekend work and lot of politics.

Have you ever noticed that Barclays recruiters will call you/ email you for new jobs and you wondered why? Well no one wants to work there and more number of people leave Barclays. Don’t believe me then, you can ask anyone who already worked there and left :)

NEVER EVER JOIN THEM

Advice to Management

Please give priorities to your employee not the specific consulting firm

Barclays Response

Mar 30, 2016 – Head of Resourcing

We are really sorry and disappointed to hear that this was your experience working with us. We work hard to ensure we have an engaging and challenging culture for our colleagues and it is very... More

9. "Mismanaged"

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

Former Lehman talent, large company

Cons

Mismanaged, everyone is unhappy and looking for a new job. Significant brain-drain ever since the Lehman acquisition. All the smart talent (ie ex Lehman people) left long ago.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities for career development and internal growth and transfers.

"Avoid"

Former Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY

I worked at Barclays full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you are very political and thrive in having lots of meetings but never moving the ball forward then this is the place for you

Cons

Everything - Management can not move the needle, Compensation is not competitive, work life balance does not exist and management does not have any values

Advice to Management

Quit and let a new team come in that wants to get things done

Showing 88 of 4,708 reviews