Bard Access Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Rob Fredericks

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits, fair compensation, nice people (in 6 reviews)

• Good team, good pay, good health benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Being an intern there is a fair amount of work to do, but not always a bad thing (in 2 reviews)

• Expectation is 40 hours minimum, but comp time for working extra (sometimes until midnight if a 510(k) is due), is frowned upon (in 2 reviews)

1. "Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Manufuacturing Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Manufuacturing Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Bard Access Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

worked here for over 20 years

Cons

lot of changes happing at this time

2. "R&D Engineering"

Former Employee - R&D Engineer I in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - R&D Engineer I in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Bard Access Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bard was a great place to work. Team lunches and activities were common in each department. Teams were efficient and worked hard while still being enjoyable to work together.

Cons

It was often unclear how to get a promotion. While I felt like I was treated fairly I would often see coworkers with exactly the same experience as me being passed over for promotions. It also often felt like the butt kissers were rewarded more frequently.

Advice to Management

I would suggest more transparent promotion practices and a better evaluation practice than the typical year end review.

3. "Bard Access Systems"

I have been working at Bard Access Systems full-time

Pros

Good benefits: vacation, health insurance, employee stock purchase plan

Cons

The marketing department is really behind the times. No marketing plans, no expectations around launch promotions.

4. "A great place to work!"

I have been working at Bard Access Systems full-time

Pros

Great culture that has a small company feel.

Cons

No major cons that I would consider.

5. "BARD What does it have to offer?"

I worked at Bard Access Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very nice people. HR is great and they seem to care about their employees.

Cons

Finance department isn't so flexible, and it isn't the best environment for women.

Advice to Management

Treat women better. Also don't over work your employees, hire more people.

6. "Senior R&D Engineer"

I have been working at Bard Access Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great pay and even better benefits. They treat you like a person and understand that there is much life outside of work,

Cons

Progressing in your career is not as easy. Promotions are usually motivated from someone leaving, which doesn't happen often.

Advice to Management

Define a better career ladder. Also, not all of the groups within BAS follow the advertised organizational structure. This makes understanding how to move up very challenging.

"Very good - could be great"

Current Employee - Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Bard Access Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

BAS is a successful division of a larger corporation (CR Bard is #661 on the Fortune 500 list at nearly $3.5B in revenue). Solid company, long established in the Utah area. Competes for talent against several other medical device companies. I think a lot of people suffer from two ailments when they complain about Bard Access - greener grass syndrome and wanting more reward for less work. I think if you work hard and focus on what you are doing for the company instead of complaining about what the company is not doing for you then you will succeed at BAS - though the same could be said for most companies. They have "core hours" of 9am to 3pm where the general expectation is that you are in the office (excepting lunch) during core hours and you can start as early as 6am or as late as 9am, shifting the 8-to-5 routine so suit your needs to a large degree. Compared to my parent's generation that is pretty flexible. They seem pretty accommodating with illness, family emergencies, etc.

Cons

Division strategies are not always well communicated. A lot of that is likely due to franchise managers and their style in communicating such information. A common complaint in the past has been inconsistency and favoritism in promotions but I think both the division and the corporation are trying to address that though their errors of the past are still present.
    For those who work hard and adhere to the requirement of working at least 40 hours/week there is some resentment towards those who take advantage of the 'core hours' flexibility provided and work less than 40 hours/week, sometimes a lot less.

Advice to Management

Employees taking unfair advantage of the 'flexible hours' and 'work/life balance' concepts by working less than 40 hours/week are cheating those who understand and follow the concept that a full work week consists of at least 40 hours for exempt employees. The hard workers carry the slackers and the productivity of the division is less when the whole workforce is not committed. Addressing this is an overlooked challenge at BAS.

8. "Okay in the short run to gain experience"

I worked at Bard Access Systems full-time

Pros

Good benefits, fair compensation, nice people

Cons

It can be a meat grinder with long hours and a heavy workload

"BAS SLC"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stansbury park, Tooele, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stansbury park, Tooele, UT

I have been working at Bard Access Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great mission to help patients with proven device solutions.

Cons

need more flexible work opportunities.

Advice to Management

work flexibility should be brought up to par with market.

10. "Great place to work"

Pros

Flexible schedule, understanding supervisors, willing to work with your school schedule, independent, not too far from the University, supervisors give you a good mix between desk work and lab work, a lot of hands on experience

Cons

Interns are temporary workers and are usually given a limit for how long they can stay at Bard (this is so they can cycle in more talent and get more experience for more people, they mean well, but it's tough sometimes)

Advice to Management

More hiring opportunities for interns would be nice or a way to extend an interns time at Bard before having to leave, maybe a circulation system to allow interns to learn different areas of the industry