Bard Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bard Chairman and CEO Timothy M. Ring
Timothy M. Ring

Pros
Cons
  • Pay isn't great, upper management is very disconnected from employees, no or few Telecommuting options (in 5 reviews)

• There is no work life balance and they are treating seniority staff very poorly (in 3 reviews)

1. "Large company, diverse experience dependent on the division you work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Bard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great products, I learned a great deal that undoubtedly helped carry me further in my career

Cons

The division I worked for (Lutonix) had very poor leadership, resulting in very high turnover and little faith from employees that management were "doing the right thing". It was not an environment where people wanted to come to work every day.

Advice to Management

Get your act together. Be leaders. Culture DOES matter. Have respect for one another and for the people that work so hard for you.

"Pay not worth the stress"

Current Employee - Picker/Packer in Covington, GA
    Current Employee - Picker/Packer in Covington, GA

I have been working at Bard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Higher pay than most warehouse/distribution centers.

Cons

Stressful work environment. Work hours fluctuate daily. Management is hard to work with. Unfair work policies and little to no chance for advancement. Hard workers are abused while there is leniency for "most liked" employees.

Advice to Management

Management needs to stop micromanaging employees and be more professional.

"Admin"

Current Employee - Administration in Murray Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Administration in Murray Hill, NJ

I have been working at Bard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy work as Bard has not even approached the 21st century in technology. Good salary for not doing much.

Cons

Unequal vacation and personal time if you are not a manager. Those of us who have 30+ years and are new hires are given 2 weeks vacation and 5 personal days and new hires with a bit of college get 3 weeks and unlimited personal time.

Advice to Management

Bard operates in 1983 as far as technology goes, just getting Webex now (old technology now). Dress code is formal for ladies and men only men get to dress down on Fridays. HQ is not equipped for people with disabilities as far as the building goes. They operate in the 80's, old technology, old habits, old ways, this is a company where you want to END your career not start it. They have a difficult time at HQ getting young innovative people and if they do come they stay for a year until something better in a different company comes up. OLD, OLD, OLD, really old. Very charitable company but they really do beat you with it. ZERO work life balance. If you are a man and having a baby they make you take your vacation time. Not modern at all that is why the average age of the HQ employee is 45+. HR is totally out of touch and not willing to listen to any suggestions. No room for advancement, NO training available if you are an admin as their tech is 30 years old. Job skills have reversed.

4. "CR bard"

Former Employee - Senior R&D ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior R&D ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN in San Jose, CA

I worked at Bard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very big company and well known in the industry.

Cons

Poor communication between departments and no leadership

Advice to Management

Need better communication between departments.

5. "engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Bard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good location, no competing pressure, slow moving

Cons

small place, no up growth opportunities, need to move to other position for up movement.

6. "Senior Mgm't Culture"

Current Employee - Ops in Murray Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Ops in Murray Hill, NJ

Pros

Bard is an excellent company with industry leading products and very smart and capable team members. Pay and benefits are also competitive and slightly above industry average.

Cons

Bard has a lot of loyal and competent employees who work tirelessly to ensure Bard remains a global powerhouse. Where Bard is truly lacking is in it's senior leadership team, mostly at the VP level. It's the quintessential "old boy" network of "leaders" stuck in the old school management style of fear and intimidation. There is a culture of yelling and almost threatening to lower level managers/directors to try and drive results. Anyone who considers them-self a leader knows that fear and intimidation does not drive results, it simply fosters a high stress environment conducive to excessive turnover. This especially holds true with millennials who are the future of the company and will not stick along in such a toxic environment long.

Advice to Management

Send the senior leadership team to training on employee engagement and creating a workplace culture of encouragement and positive reinforcement rather than fear and intimidation. It will go along way to ensuring the company is able to attract and RETAIN the next generation of leaders.

7. "forklift operator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Covington, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Covington, GA

Pros

the moral was up and the people cared about eachother when i first started.

Cons

there really wasnt any cons,the management team didnt care about the people.

Advice to Management

horrible

8. "Poor management practices"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Bard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent compensation, good benefits (matching 401k, ESOP, medical/dental). Some great products and good employees.

Cons

Very minimal PTO - first 5 years is only 2 weeks, non-negotiable for most starting employees. We lost several good candidates in Mpls due to this much-lower-than-average starting point. Also need to go through a mandatory health assessment for both employee and spouse (if on your insurance) to check for weight, BP, blood glucose, cholesterol. If you do not do this, they add another 50$ monthly to your insurance premium. Upper management is very entrenched and eager to hold onto their positions despite it often being bad for business.

Advice to Management

check your benefits across similar industries and try to be competitive in the area. Huge turnover (over 50% of employees leaving in some groups) should be a signal to upper management that something is amiss.

"Great job, but worked with very rude and unprofessional people!"

Current Employee - Quality Control in Queensbury, NY
    Current Employee - Quality Control in Queensbury, NY

I have been working at Bard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good, livable pay rate, potential to change positions internally. Very spirited in giving company employees a company event to enjoy from time to time.

Cons

Very cutthroat-like mentality among fellow workers. Made work uncomfortable occasionally.

Training was insufficient and passive. I always had to ask questions because instructions were limited. I was relieved of my position due to errors I didn't know I was making! I thought my process was correct, and all of my paperwork was approved throughout my time there.

Advice to Management

Please have a proper training program for ALL departments. Because I lacked training I was relieved of my position for things I was not aware I was doing wrong. I lost a good job because I wasn't formally trained. Also, discipline your staff and temps equally.

10. "Ok company."

Current Employee - Accounts Payable in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Bard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People, young engineers.. Not afraid to hire people right out of college. Nice location.

Cons

It is very hard to get promoted, bard is pretty cheap.. They try to save as much money as they can, so they will not encourage employee team building activities.. They will pile on extra responsabilities on you without increasing your pay.

Advice to Management

Spend more money on your employees.. To encourage them instead of discouraging.