KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Add a Review

Bardel Entertainment Reviews

Updated Jun 10, 2021

4.5
Bardel Entertainment CEO Rick Mischel (no image)
Rick Mischel
Pros
  • "Great people, occasionally fun projects, not too much OT(in 14 reviews)

• "Good place to start a career in animation(in 14 reviews)

• Cons
  • "In animation, though your hours may be flexible, you may be doing a lot of unpaid overtime(in 15 reviews)

• "They often demand unpaid overtime and are unwilling to address bad professional practices including sexism from stronger animators(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Great Company!

Mar 22, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent People to work with, innovative, lots of opportunities, fun and creative atmosphere.

Cons

No real cons from me.

2. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Adequate. Not great, not terrible.

Jun 14, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are genuinely friendly, it can offer a good opportunity for someone to learn depending where they are in their career and the projects produced are relatively high quality. It's a small studio feel but at a large scale, which can be nice.

Cons

The upper management is a mess, there's absolutely no unified vision and the company is in a constant state of chaos, unprepared and last-minute decisions that end up hurting employee morale, client confidence and the studio's ability to consistently bring in work. The working conditions aren't great either given cramped spaces, inadequate furniture and mediocre wages. Not to mention the illegal practice of not paying overtime (which almost all studios have moved away from already).

1 person found this review helpful
    3. 4.0
      Current Employee

Saving the world one cartoon at a time

Oct 26, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Bardel has great shows - there's no other way to put it. They work with some of the best brands in the industry, and offer artists creatively challenging opportunities to grow in their careers and learn from experienced industry professionals. Alongside the great shows, Bardel has great people! The company culture is friendly, engaging, and fun. People make jokes in the hallways, walk for coffee together, carve pumpkins together, trouble shoot technical problems together, eat cereal together. It is a very collaborative environment where artists are encouraged to share their opinions and bring forward solutions. The Senior Management team is also a good group of people who genuinely care about the studio. If you want to be challenged in your career and work on great shows with great people, Bardel is the place for you.

Cons

Every company has room to improve. Bardel could implement a few structural improvements that would benefit the studio as a whole, but as far as animation studios go, it's a good place to work!

3 people found this review helpful
    4. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

stay far, far away

Mar 25, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

inspiring people, interesting projects, they now have benefits, and the locations of both studies are nice. Beatty is right by skytrain and west 3rd has granville island.

Cons

Super cramped desk spaces, lots of growing pains, constant server problems, bad communication from production, weird pipelines (yes, they do reinvent the wheel on every project), conflicting direction for artists from the creative lead vs your producer, and a general sense of complacency because the people who want to make things better either leave or get booted. Oh and they will tell you their projects are solid and will last for years, but don't believe them. They can get pulled with no warning. Because of the working conditions, people are leaving like crazy. And make sure you know what you're worth going in, or they'll walk all over you. Overtime is expected without compensation.

11 people found this review helpful
    5. 2.0

Get Some Experience, Then Get Out

Jan 18, 2018 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Studio has a fairly consistent stream of incoming projects to potentially join, and some are really desirable -Some great people; super hard-working, talented, and friendly -Studio's putting in effort to create positive company culture/community through events and such -My first project was a good learning experience; the second was quite tough, but I learned a lot through it -Some opportunities to potentially advance through leadership tracks if you'd fit those types of roles

Cons

Summary: There's a word a lot of Bardel employees associate with the studio but are scared to say out loud...sweatshop. -The culture the company's trying hard to create and project contrasts the reality, which is that employees are too overworked to take part in any of the fun community-building stuff. I would've loved to partake in it, but I was too busy putting in tons of unpaid overtime to meet unreasonable expectations for a tiny paycheck. -Experiences can vary REALLY wildly depending on your project/team. On my first project, expectations and deadlines were reasonable, I almost never worked overtime, and I made a small but livable wage. Second project we were all burning out fast trying to hit insane standards and making barely a livable wage in such an expensive city. Some of my friends were on projects so easy that they were bored out of their minds; others worked every single weekend for no extra pay and it was entirely expected of them to do so. -Unpaid overtime was presented as our own issue that we had the power to control; if we didn't want to work nights and weekends, we just had to magically work faster and better and be more organized, even if we were already doing those things to the best of our abilities. As if it had nothing to do with the studio leadership and the client. -Same thing as above applied to a quota-based paycheck; management acknowledged that the "base pay" that we were guaranteed every week for hitting quota was not a professional salary, and that it was up to us to go above quota enough to make a decent amount of money. That's okay when going above quota is actually doable, but for some projects, it's just not. Especially since footage-based pay and deadlines didn't adjust to different difficulty levels of scenes. -Studio is not set up to be conducive to socialization at all. The old Beatty Street location was, since it wasn't too huge and had a big common area for lunch and special events, but the way West 3rd is set up, it's hard to naturally have interactions with your coworkers. -You may have to work completely in the dark. Beatty was in a basement, and the first floor of West 3rd is like a big warehouse space with only windows in one little section. No natural light, plus they keep it dark for the 3D lighting teams, which should just have their own dark space to work in. -Low-key sexism which is kind of inescapable in this industry, but there was a certain degree of bro-y culture which definitely favored male employees and gave them more opportunities to rise through the ranks.

12 people found this review helpful

Bardel Entertainment Response

Senior Talent Acquisition Advisor

Thank you so much for this review! Honestly! It is so helpful to know what your experience has been and to see the areas that are opportunities for us to grow as a studio. We hear you. We do care. And we truly value your feedback. We will do all that we can to respond to these concerns.

6. 5.0

Chairman

Oct 17, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great family friendly work environment and the opportunity to work on some of the best animated tv series in the world

Cons

There can be long work hours if you are need more time that others to be productive

7. 3.0

Not the best

Jul 8, 2015 - Animator
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, nice location, there is work

Cons

Bid too little on shows and demand over time.

7 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Former Employee

Good place to start out as an animator

Sep 30, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fast but manageable pace, fun crew, good coworkers, good shows to work on

Cons

Pay isn't that great - probably due to the double-whammy of working in BC and working in TV.

9. 1.0
      Former Employee

Not a place worth working at

Mar 4, 2015 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Close to the Skytrain I cant think of much else to say

Cons

Everything else about the place, pour management, Sweatshop, Don't care about their employees and long hours

5 people found this review helpful
    10. 3.0

Solid studio

Nov 23, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

good projects and great people

Cons

clear direction from top is lacking

Viewing 1 - 10 of 123 Reviews