Bardel Entertainment "great people" Reviews | Glassdoor

Bardel Entertainment Employee Reviews about "great people"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Work here for the experience but don't stay for long"

Former Employee - Lighting Artist in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Lighting Artist in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Bardel Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Lots of exciting productions that you can work at
    - Tons of great people to work with, talent and personality wise

Cons

- Awful studio, very cramped
    - Awful pay, took advantage on foreign worker's pay when they extend their work visa
    - Awful pipeline hence, expect lots of UNPAID overtime
    - Unfair & very unreasonable pay rise

Advice to Management

Should treat their employee better instead of just taking advantage of them. Pay them overtime, seriously. Fix your pipeline, they are the main reason why overtime is needed. When animation is not done properly, it should be send back to the animation department instead of having the lighter/compositor fixing it. It is the animators responsibility!

"Get Some Experience, Then Get Out"

Pros

-Studio has a fairly consistent stream of incoming projects to potentially join, and some are really desirable

-Some great people; super hard-working, talented, and friendly

-Studio's putting in effort to create positive company culture/community through events and such

-My first project was a good learning experience; the second was quite tough, but I learned a lot through it

-Some opportunities to potentially advance through leadership tracks if you'd fit those types of roles

Cons

Summary: There's a word a lot of Bardel employees associate with the studio but are scared to say out loud...sweatshop.

-The culture the company's trying hard to create and project contrasts the reality, which is that employees are too overworked to take part in any of the fun community-building stuff. I would've loved to partake in it, but I was too busy putting in tons of unpaid overtime to meet unreasonable expectations for a tiny paycheck.

-Experiences can vary REALLY wildly depending on your project/team. On my first project, expectations and deadlines were reasonable, I almost never worked overtime, and I made a small but livable wage. Second project we were all burning out fast trying to hit insane standards and making barely a livable wage in such an expensive city. Some of my friends were on projects so easy that they were bored out of their minds; others worked every single weekend for no extra pay and it was entirely expected of them to do so.

-Unpaid overtime was presented as our own issue that we had the power to control; if we didn't want to work nights and weekends, we just had to magically work faster and better and be more organized, even if we were already doing those things to the best of our abilities. As if it had nothing to do with the studio leadership and the client.

-Same thing as above applied to a quota-based paycheck; management acknowledged that the "base pay" that we were guaranteed every week for hitting quota was not a professional salary, and that it was up to us to go above quota enough to make a decent amount of money. That's okay when going above quota is actually doable, but for some projects, it's just not. Especially since footage-based pay and deadlines didn't adjust to different difficulty levels of scenes.

-Studio is not set up to be conducive to socialization at all. The old Beatty Street location was, since it wasn't too huge and had a big common area for lunch and special events, but the way West 3rd is set up, it's hard to naturally have interactions with your coworkers.

-You may have to work completely in the dark. Beatty was in a basement, and the first floor of West 3rd is like a big warehouse space with only windows in one little section. No natural light, plus they keep it dark for the 3D lighting teams, which should just have their own dark space to work in.

-Low-key sexism which is kind of inescapable in this industry, but there was a certain degree of bro-y culture which definitely favored male employees and gave them more opportunities to rise through the ranks.

Advice to Management

People know this studio's reputation, and it's not a positive one. Address that. Address the actual core issues in the company's culture and management and treatment of employees instead of surface-level stuff. It seems like the studio doesn't care about its high burnout and employee turnover rate because there will always be eager, young artists willing to put up with poor working conditions to get their resumes started. But you shouldn't rely on that; it's going to keep this bad reputation growing, and eventually artists will just stay away.

Focus on fixing core values, abolish the punitive, awful quota system, treat your employees like people, and put those funds pouring in from big-name projects into areas that actually need them.

Bardel Entertainment Response

Mar 13, 2018 – Senior Talent Acquisition Advisor

Thank you so much for this review! Honestly! It is so helpful to know what your experience has been and to see the areas that are opportunities for us to grow as a studio. We hear you. We do care... More

3. "Solid studio"

I have been working at Bardel Entertainment full-time

Pros

good projects and great people

Cons

clear direction from top is lacking

4. "Review"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Bardel Entertainment as a contractor

Pros

Great people. Current project leads are great. I have heard cons on other projects but haven't personally experienced them.

Cons

Passive aggressive OT requests. Don't pay OT.

"Saving the world one cartoon at a time"

I have been working at Bardel Entertainment full-time

Pros

Bardel has great shows - there's no other way to put it. They work with some of the best brands in the industry, and offer artists creatively challenging opportunities to grow in their careers and learn from experienced industry professionals.

Alongside the great shows, Bardel has great people! The company culture is friendly, engaging, and fun. People make jokes in the hallways, walk for coffee together, carve pumpkins together, trouble shoot technical problems together, eat cereal together. It is a very collaborative environment where artists are encouraged to share their opinions and bring forward solutions. The Senior Management team is also a good group of people who genuinely care about the studio.

If you want to be challenged in your career and work on great shows with great people, Bardel is the place for you.

Cons

Every company has room to improve. Bardel could implement a few structural improvements that would benefit the studio as a whole, but as far as animation studios go, it's a good place to work!

6. "Production Coordinator"

Current Employee - Production Coordinator in Kelowna, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Production Coordinator in Kelowna, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Bardel Entertainment (More than a year)

Pros

Team mates are great people to work with

Cons

Senior management does not listen to staff, no career path, very poor salaries

Advice to Management

Listen to what the teams have to say

"Animator"

Current Employee - 3D Animator in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - 3D Animator in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Bardel Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun projects/ great people/good location.

Cons

Poor budget on show. Not enough animators. Quality standards are high for such extensive workloads causing necessary overtime quite frequently.

Advice to Management

Stronger drive to adapt to production challenges. Hire more people so we can have a better work/life balance.

"Not the best"

Current Employee - Animator
    Current Employee - Animator

Pros

Great people, nice location, there is work

Cons

Bid too little on shows and demand over time.

9. "Negotiate your contract as well as you can."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Bardel Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The studio is in a great location, and offers a lot of work in a variety of animation industry fields. The pay can be pretty good IF YOU NEGOTIATE WELL when you are hired, and they offer benefits. The quality of the shows and the work being done is quite high. The studio has a long tradition of working on great shows and is well established in the larger industry. The best part of the studio, however, is by far the employees. Great people.

Cons

It is a very management heavy studio. As often as they say they put artists first, they are pretty notorious for treating people like screwdrivers by always bending over backwards for clients at the cost of employee health and moral. If you want to be an animator, expect to work some fairly long hours.
    While the pay can be good, management will low ball you fairly hard, especially hard if you are new to the industry. Make sure to negotiate as best you can.

Advice to Management

Your employees are not a commodity to be bent by clients who demand unreasonable quotas. Numbers on spreadsheets have real life affecting consequences for the people you demand craft from.

10. "Bardel is a good company"

Pros

Great people and cool projects

Cons

Long hours and no benefits