Bardel Entertainment "unpaid overtime" Reviews | Glassdoor

Bardel Entertainment Employee Reviews about "unpaid overtime"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Work here for the experience but don't stay for long"

Former Employee - Lighting Artist in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Lighting Artist in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Bardel Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Lots of exciting productions that you can work at
    - Tons of great people to work with, talent and personality wise

Cons

- Awful studio, very cramped
    - Awful pay, took advantage on foreign worker's pay when they extend their work visa
    - Awful pipeline hence, expect lots of UNPAID overtime
    - Unfair & very unreasonable pay rise

Advice to Management

Should treat their employee better instead of just taking advantage of them. Pay them overtime, seriously. Fix your pipeline, they are the main reason why overtime is needed. When animation is not done properly, it should be send back to the animation department instead of having the lighter/compositor fixing it. It is the animators responsibility!

"OK, Production teams need to learn to plan"

I have been working at Bardel Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice location
    Fun projects, highly varied

Cons

Does not seem to learn from their previous mistakes. In regards to planning and scheduling
    Unpaid overtime is expected
    The pipeline is broken
    Quality is usually significantly dropped to due to teams being mostly juniors

Advice to Management

To make this no longer a stepping stone studio artists need a reason to stay.

Top animators leave because the quality drops
    Junior - Mid level animators leave once they have no one around that inspires them

"Get Some Experience, Then Get Out"

Pros

-Studio has a fairly consistent stream of incoming projects to potentially join, and some are really desirable

-Some great people; super hard-working, talented, and friendly

-Studio's putting in effort to create positive company culture/community through events and such

-My first project was a good learning experience; the second was quite tough, but I learned a lot through it

-Some opportunities to potentially advance through leadership tracks if you'd fit those types of roles

Cons

Summary: There's a word a lot of Bardel employees associate with the studio but are scared to say out loud...sweatshop.

-The culture the company's trying hard to create and project contrasts the reality, which is that employees are too overworked to take part in any of the fun community-building stuff. I would've loved to partake in it, but I was too busy putting in tons of unpaid overtime to meet unreasonable expectations for a tiny paycheck.

-Experiences can vary REALLY wildly depending on your project/team. On my first project, expectations and deadlines were reasonable, I almost never worked overtime, and I made a small but livable wage. Second project we were all burning out fast trying to hit insane standards and making barely a livable wage in such an expensive city. Some of my friends were on projects so easy that they were bored out of their minds; others worked every single weekend for no extra pay and it was entirely expected of them to do so.

-Unpaid overtime was presented as our own issue that we had the power to control; if we didn't want to work nights and weekends, we just had to magically work faster and better and be more organized, even if we were already doing those things to the best of our abilities. As if it had nothing to do with the studio leadership and the client.

-Same thing as above applied to a quota-based paycheck; management acknowledged that the "base pay" that we were guaranteed every week for hitting quota was not a professional salary, and that it was up to us to go above quota enough to make a decent amount of money. That's okay when going above quota is actually doable, but for some projects, it's just not. Especially since footage-based pay and deadlines didn't adjust to different difficulty levels of scenes.

-Studio is not set up to be conducive to socialization at all. The old Beatty Street location was, since it wasn't too huge and had a big common area for lunch and special events, but the way West 3rd is set up, it's hard to naturally have interactions with your coworkers.

-You may have to work completely in the dark. Beatty was in a basement, and the first floor of West 3rd is like a big warehouse space with only windows in one little section. No natural light, plus they keep it dark for the 3D lighting teams, which should just have their own dark space to work in.

-Low-key sexism which is kind of inescapable in this industry, but there was a certain degree of bro-y culture which definitely favored male employees and gave them more opportunities to rise through the ranks.

Advice to Management

People know this studio's reputation, and it's not a positive one. Address that. Address the actual core issues in the company's culture and management and treatment of employees instead of surface-level stuff. It seems like the studio doesn't care about its high burnout and employee turnover rate because there will always be eager, young artists willing to put up with poor working conditions to get their resumes started. But you shouldn't rely on that; it's going to keep this bad reputation growing, and eventually artists will just stay away.

Focus on fixing core values, abolish the punitive, awful quota system, treat your employees like people, and put those funds pouring in from big-name projects into areas that actually need them.

Bardel Entertainment Response

Mar 13, 2018 – Senior Talent Acquisition Advisor

Thank you so much for this review! Honestly! It is so helpful to know what your experience has been and to see the areas that are opportunities for us to grow as a studio. We hear you. We do care... More

4. "Mediocre and complicit in bad professional practices"

I have been working at Bardel Entertainment as a contractor

Pros

If you can survive your first year/production you have the opportunity to learn from some really talented people. It also can provide opportunities for lateral movement across the industry.

Cons

The studio is disorganized and is often scrambling to regain its footing due to poor planning on all levels. They often demand unpaid overtime and are unwilling to address bad professional practices including sexism from stronger animators.

"Once was good, going downhill fast."

Former Employee - 3D Animator in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - 3D Animator in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Bardel Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good leads and sups (depending on project)
    Studio atmosphere is pleasant.
    Decent number of shows
    Vancouver studio is in a nice location

Cons

unrealistic deadlines and quality expectations
    no work/life balance
    unpaid overtime is normal.
    low morale overall. people seem tired or disinterested.
    HR is slow and very disorganized. (once didn't receive a paycheque at least 3 times due to a clerical error.)
    bought by rainbow in 2016 (which imo is the reason the company is failing)

Advice to Management

treat your artists like human beings, they deserve respect and better compensation for the hard work they put in every day.

6. "It's alright"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Bardel Entertainment as a contractor

Pros

Lots of shows, usually up to date software.

Cons

Most artists don't know what they're doing, really bad pipeline, below average pay, lots of unpaid overtime, contract will most likely run out before HR responds to you.

Advice to Management

Invest in artists that have real skill, try to keep them/promote them. You have too many mundane workers who don't want to learn and can't accept change. This costs you money in the long run!

7. "Good place to gain experience to take elsewhere"

Current Contractor - Story Artist
    Current Contractor - Story Artist

I have been working at Bardel Entertainment as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

A variety of shows to work on, and many incredible artists to befriend!

Cons

Disconnect from management to the workers, outrageous amount of unpaid overtime to meet unrealistic deadlines, and everyone is crammed together. Keep higher ups protected from harassment claims by "low level" individuals.

Advice to Management

Stop underbidding on shows and be sure to have the work force needed/space to actually do the show. Also to no longer pay with quota.

"Studio has seemingly gone downhill."

Current Employee - 3D Animator in Kelowna, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - 3D Animator in Kelowna, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Bardel Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Consistent Work
    -Cool Projects
    -A rather well known Studio
    -Benefits cover half of MSP.

Cons

-A somewhat factory feeling
    -Company culture has changed since the Rainbow acquisition
    -If an issue arises, it takes forever to get fixed, if it gets fixed at all
    -Underbid on projects a lot
    -Lots of unpaid overtime required (working until midnight is pretty common) to keep up with deadlines, because they don't budget enough time for shows.
    -Working in the Kelowna Studio, it feels secondary to the Vancouver ones sites.
    -Employees seem to know nothing unless you're higher up. Often told that we're able to switch projects to some that are more interesting, but by the time you find out you're able to switch, the projects full.
    -Often ignores employee suggestion and issues.
    -Somewhat underpays compared to other studios.
    -CEO seems out of touch with what is actually happening in the studio.
    -Often have 1 to 2 hour meetings that waste time, only so an executive can show their face, and give an HR approved speech about how great the studio is, only to give no real information and answer no questions.

Advice to Management

Listen to issues that are brought up by employees. Bid for more time on projects. It doesn't need to be everything, but let your artists at least know when a show starts looking for animators let them know. Cut out the "roundtables" and just send out the information in an email.

9. "Animator"

Current Contractor - Animator in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Bardel Entertainment as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The other artists are great

Cons

- Constantly stressed out (and they don't care)
    - Unpaid overtime (lots of it!)

"Overcrowded Studio"

I have been working at Bardel Entertainment full-time

Pros

Some fun animation projects, downtown studio close to Skytrain (Stadium). Christmas Party.

Cons

Too much work, not enough support. Bardel is growing, and is getting pretty cramped (not enough washrooms, desks, software licenses, server space, slow internet connection and lack of help) make it a lot harder to work than it should be. Some projects seem like they are running ok, others are serious overtime and weekends (unpaid overtime of course). Bardel never says no to any of their clients, so also expect tons of revisions.

Advice to Management

Hire more (good) people instead of just filling desks, and try and upgrade the studio.