Barge Waggoner Sumner & Cannon Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work!!"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Barge Waggoner Sumner & Cannon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working at BWSC is an incredibly experience. The company offers great flexibility and support for employees. Our leadership is outstanding and our business is focused on benefiting the communities we live in.

Cons

The downtown location can be fun, but it is a challenging commute. I am looking forward to our new office space in November 2017.

2. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Barge Waggoner Sumner & Cannon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

BWSC is a firm that still operates much like a family business with the employee experience and culture being a priority. The company is employee owned and is in a strong financial position which thwarts the anxiety of being bought by a larger corporate entity, which has become more common-place in today's market.

Cons

The company is still working to repair its reputation in a few markets/geographies due to poor legacy leadership and projects. However, that does not seem to be an impediment to growth.

Advice to Management

Continue to create growth opportunities for career development.

"Great A&E Firm"

Current Employee - Vice President in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Vice President in Memphis, TN

Pros

BWSC has helped me to grow through training and work experience since the day I walked in the door. They sincerely concerned about me, my family and my career. Truly a great place to work!

Cons

More people do not know about this great company.

Advice to Management

Bob Higgins (CEO) cares about the success of the company and its employees. He instills a caring culture that makes BWSC a great place to work. Keep it up Bob!

5. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Engineer in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Barge Waggoner Sumner & Cannon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at BWSC for nearly 3 years and its been a great experience. They have continually tried to create a great experience for employees and diversity in projects is second to none. The company has grown every year that I've been here and the staff all care about one another.

Cons

Traffic going to Nashville office can be a little rough at times.

Advice to Management

Keep looking for ways that we can continue to differentiate ourselves from our competition from a business and employee culture perspective.

6. "I appreciate Barge and the CARES model that we work-Collaborate, Authentic, Responsible, Excellence and Service."

Current Employee - Chief Financial Officer in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Chief Financial Officer in Nashville, TN

Pros

We have interesting projects and different disciplines that work together. Senior leadership is accessible to and interested in me.

Cons

Currently the Corp. Office overlooks Broadway in Nashville but thankfully we have flex time and can work around the busy times.

7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Barge Waggoner Sumner & Cannon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

BWSC is committed to finding client-service focused, technically skilled professionals. This has led to work on interesting projects while providing growth opportunities. The company has leadership based on strong core values and doing the right thing.

Cons

Downtown commute is offset by location and company provided parking.

8. "Loyal professional, great work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

Pros

Approachable management, genuinely interested in giving employees the tools and resources we need to do great work for the company's benefit and our own benefit as professionals wanting to grow in our career. It is regularly expressed to me that I am a valued employee and contribute to the company's success, and that is great for morale.

Cons

The commute to the downtown office can sometimes be a challenge.

Advice to Management

Would be great to see executives in branch offices more regularly

9. "Great Company with a great direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Barge Waggoner Sumner & Cannon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clearly articulated direction for the firm. High values and focus on the employees.

Cons

Nothing at this time that I can see.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

10. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Barge Waggoner Sumner & Cannon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company really cares about employees.

Cons

Could contribute more on 401k

11. "Great experience so far!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Pros

The size of the firm is really great. I get the impression that I can reach my career goals more easily than in a big firm. Management seems to genuinely care about employees which isn't always common in this industry. They are very transparent with company information. Overtime can be converted to comp time.

Cons

In previous years, I've heard that there were layoffs so that can be concerning. However, I think BWSC has done a great job of doing business development during the time I've been here.

PTO is also fairly low compared to other places I've worked, but as mentioned above, overtime hours can be converted to comp time, so that helps.

Advice to Management

Look at strengthening the PTO policy.