Baringa Partners Employee Reviews about "consultancies"

Updated Jan 18, 2021

Found 19 of over 211 reviews

4.2
Baringa Partners Managing Partner Adrian Bettridge
Adrian Bettridge
Pros
  • "The focus on culture is real and makes for a better environment than many consultancies(in 20 reviews)

• "Good understanding that being away from home can be a struggle from a work/life balance perspective(in 18 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Constant demand outstripping supply can lead to challenges in work / life balance - always busy(in 25 reviews)

• "A tier 2 consultancy (in financial services at least)(in 19 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "consultancies"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

A great place to work with some growing pains

Jan 18, 2021 - Senior Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are great, they are genuinely the best thing about Baringa. They are great to work with, the vast majority are intelligent, hard-working and nice The company is well respected, particularly in the energy space and there is interesting work As far as consultancies go, I would highly recommend this one above any of the big 4

Cons

The company has grown very quickly, in doing so it has lost some of its culture and what made it great to work there - hiring 20-25% a year means that it is hard to keep up and the hiring standards (for cultural fit) are not applied There is a big emphasis on climate change seemingly with little regard for whether or not someone wants to do it The more senior you get the more responsibility for sales, internal work, all whilst reamining 100% chargeable to a client. It doesn't leave enough time for you to think through client problems and still have a life outside of work - you see a lot of burnout and I have yet to see a partner who I would want to emulate in terms of career/life balance There are definite favourites, the same people are always on stage / given awards. Some consultants have preferential agreements (no travel) etc.

2. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Nice colleagues but partners have been greedy

Mar 31, 2020 - Senior Consultant in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are on the whole very nice to work with. The focus on culture is real and makes for a better environment than many consultancies. In recent years growth has been strong with good promotion opportunities.

Cons

At the first sight of a downturn the Partners have imposed company wide pay cuts and unpaid leave. The partners took out huge profits in the boom years (£5million for highest paid partner in FY19) but are not putting any of it back into the business just 12 months on. This greed is normal at other consultancies - Baringa talks of being different but I don't see it.

23 people found this review helpful
    3. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Not very efficient in risk / crisis management

Aug 3, 2020 - Consultant in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good compensation; reasonable work/life balance in comparison with other consultancies

Cons

Company did not react very well when COVID happened and reduced its spend by immediately introducing pay cuts to its employees.

14 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Decent

Jan 27, 2020 - Consultant in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good culture, people know each other more than in traditional consultancy.

Cons

Still a typical cosultancy and people over worked. Several people in my team were signed off work due to being overworked and their mental health. Also, they need to work on their diversity in a big way.

5 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Senior Consultant at Baringa

Oct 9, 2018 - Senior Consultant in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Baringa has the best culture of any consulting firm I have worked for (out of 3). Leadership truly care about their people, and our current managing partner oozes this with every word and action that he says and does. Baringa recognises that the volume of travel and being away from home isn't something anyone really enjoys, and so it compensates employees on "out of town" projects both financially and with additional holidays. This is something I have never seen at any consultancy and one that sets Baringa apart and demonstrates how much they care about their people. Baringa has been the first consultancy to accept me for who I am, and I have watched its people do the same with many other new joiners. We strive hard not to simply hire in our own image and I feel we already have quite a diverse workforce, but never one to rest on our laurels we are still working hard to push the message of diversity across the company. Furthermore, Baringa is full of bright, passionate and smart people. We are not a corporate SI giant, and if you are tired of that life I would highly suggest Baringa is a step in the right direction to better work life balance, but just as interesting work.

Cons

There are few downsides I have seen to working at Baringa. As with any consultancy, you do have to travel, and you do have to occasionally do a role that doesn't fit your skillset, but you can't ever avoid that in consulting. My biggest downside at the moment is that we have grown so much in the last year our home office in London is getting rather full on Friday's when most people come in, but it's manageable and we've been acquiring other space in an nearby building to help this.

6. 4.0

Glass 8/10 full @ Growth pains worth enjoying

Jan 13, 2019 - Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

After a number of years, I feel gratefull for Baringa inviting me to a world of consulting from industry. They took a leap of faith. I did as well. It paid out for both - in revenues, and mutual development. I arrived at the time when company was small enough for senior team to immediately know your name when bumping with you at the elevator. We are bigger now. Being bigger allows to go after bigger goals...it also comes with acceptance of growth pains...and enjoying those.... We are an FT 2018 no 1 consultancy in utilities alongside McKinsey - deep niche expertise, great people, clients being served flexibly and devotedly. And at better rates than certain competitors.... I can not vouch for non-energy, but based on people whom I do know in other BUs from famed social get aways, common courses and informal drinks/dinners , we deserve a similar ranking in FS and other new areas of work at the very least from “great people” and “passion” perspective.... Now for those of us, enjoying models, I gonna test Baringa through PERK (Purpose, Engagement, Resilience, Kindness) to arrive to my 8/10 Glass full. 1. Purpose. Clearly, we are moving towards a transformational global advisory firm with deep industry expertise, be it at energy, finance or even a temp theme such as Brexit. And our, inspirational, management leads the way jn finding ways to keep selling work - with differing success, which is a reality of consulting. So here is 8/10. To get to 10, the firm already started rewarding the appropriate business development behaviour. In my personal view, an advisory firm thrives when it sells interesting work, which at turn motivates people (see 2 below). 2. Engagement. Great people, who are all brilliant to work together. A true pleasure. 10/10 3. Resilience. In consulting, flexibility and time pressure is what you sign up to. Key is how as a team, and firm you support this. Baringa since last year puts great effort in courses, leadership attention on WLB, mental health etc. 7/10. To go to 10, is I think impossible - one needs to select when hiring people who are able to say No, but deliver when it matters, and if needed work to late night to flexibly go to a long breakfast with loved ones next day. CEO encourages such behaviour - himself a family man - and this is a great feature. WLB for advisory means ability to prioritise, and work hard when it matters, and relax afterwards to prepare for next hill. 4. Kindness How are we treating each other when we get bad news? Do we care? Do we ask about one’s holiday? Do we bring each other tea when its cold in office? Do we smile when seeing each other? We do....see above. This does not mean one is not confronted if sales targets, or utilisation, are not adressed. After all, its consulting - so kindness goes with together making profits....10/10

Cons

There are colleagues who see glass more empty - fair enough. To me, this is fine. I worked in quite a few organisations - Baringa is as good as it gets, for a commercial advisory business. So there was some truth to posts “like a glove” from July 2017 - leadership picked up on those. Did they do a perfect job? Well join, and help further.

Continue reading
      Be the first to find this review helpful
    7. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

A CULT surviving on deceptive and aggressive marketing

Nov 12, 2018 - Senior Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are definitely some advantages to working here. Some negative posters need to understand that this is not a Big 4 or prestigious consultancy, and never will be! If you are working for a low-end service provider, it is important to take that into perspective. It is unfair to complain about poor pay, pensions and poor internal operations. - Most people are agreeable and a pleasure to work with. - Generous pay and benefits for what it’s worth - The company wants to do well and has a strong appetite for growth. Unfortunately, partners go about it in the worst ways possible! - Yearly international getaways are a good and welcome incentive - Flat structure and you get to have your say. They show that they care. Despite being deceptive, it can often be encouraging - If you wish to have an easy work environment due to life events etc., this is not a bad place to spend some time - I disagree with the complaints around long hours. Success in this company is all about fitting into their cliques, which most people realize very quickly. It is much easier to do that than produce quality work. - The award for recruitment referrals is a dinner voucher with a partner. It is nice to have something different that gets you visibility to senior management, as opposed to a cash award

Cons

- Senior management coerce you into cultish behaviours. Corporate bullying is rife. If you don't play along, they will get back at you. The CEO is the main driver of these behaviours. However, he is great at maintaining his image and getting other people to put his cultish ideals into practice! - The German, US and Australian offices have been performing poorly and sucking up our bonuses. This is extremely demoralizing. UK staff work hard and we suffer for poor performance in other locations. - There are many partners who have not sold a single project and have been here for years. They are around only because of the “close-knit old mens’ clique”. They tell you that they take diversity seriously, but the reality is very disturbing! They have put a few mascots here and there to cover their tracks. - The partners force employees into aggressive marketing tactics. The global head of financial services asks new employees to open up their Linkedin profiles and introduce him to their contacts. I haven’t worked in another consultancy before, so can’t comment if this is common practice. It certainly felt very awkward! - The marketing tactics on Linkedin actually hurt the company. As a client once said, “Your activity on Linkedin should get alarm bells ringing!” They get low-end publishers to put out deceptive stats and then aggressively market them on Linkedin! - At corporate events, staff and their partners are allotted shared accommodation with other families to save money. Employees have been brainwashed to the point that they defend it saying it is a good way to “network”. Almost all staff use Easyjet or Ryanair for corporate travel - The company events are straight out of a sitcom. At dinner, employees are asked to rise and their significant others to “take a moment to appreciate the effort of their partners”. It is so corny! If you want to build a cult, at least TRY to be subtle about it. - The CEO walks down the aisle in black-tie attire alongside a lady in a shiny gown for the awards ceremony. The environment reeks of a “pretentious wannabe upper-class” group. My friends couldn’t stop laughing when I showed them a video I took. - The partners keep boasting about winning the “Best Workplace award”. The process is rigged. Individuals are hand-picked to provide feedback with no anonymity. They also spend considerable effort in preparing the submission just to get the award. And a lot more telling everyone about it. - The knowledge and skills in the company are pathetic. This is unlikely to get better as they continue to recruit people who are like them. People who can write two lines of code are forced to label themselves “ethical hackers”. The worst part is partners don’t realize how foolish they look in doing these things.

41 people found this review helpful

Baringa Partners Response

Partner and People Lead

I am disappointed to read this review and would encourage you to reach out to me to discuss your experience. David Harris (People Partner).

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Still a Great Place to Work

Jul 24, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked for Baringa for a significant chunk of my professional career, and having come from a Big-4/6 Global Consultancy previously, I can still safely say that I haven't come across a consulting company that's as good as Baringa. The work is interesting, our clients are as 'Blue Chip' as they come and you get to work with some of the best people in the industry. You really do work with your friends, rather than your colleagues - while this can also be said for pockets of the larger consulting houses, it's not true across the board. The senior leadership truly care about the individuals and maintaining the fantastic culture that Baringa has created over the last 15 years. Even thought the company has grown significantly, there's still scope for real ownership at the individual level, in terms of growing clients, capabilities and also helping to actually run and improve the company. I'm not sure there are too many other consultancies out there that are truly the same. The annual Baringa weekend away (with families) doesn't hurt either ;-)

Cons

Remember, it's still a consulting company! While we have fantastic and sometimes quite unique benefits, there's still the expectations of the client to meet - be that working away from home or long hours. However, the company does all it can to limit the negative impact of these aspects to consulting.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

So far, so good....

Mar 4, 2016 - Senior Consultant in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Started during February, but first impressions have been fantastic. The company genuinely makes a big effort to attract and keep talented people. It's consultancy so of course you are expected to work hard, but Baringa does their best to minimize the usual pain points of consultancy (e.g. travel) through out of town schemes. Compared to other consultancies, there seems to be a less competitive and more collaborative environment. Of course people want to progress and grow, but my read thus far is that people are also far more willing to help others progress and grow too! This is a refreshing change from most consultancies.

Cons

Not a 'con' per-se but the company is growing at a tremendous rate, it will be interesting to see whether they can keep the culture as it currently is (and in fairness, this is something that is monitored and they have initiatives in place to try and prevent the unique culture being lost).

10. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place to work - Technology Transformation

Oct 15, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've been here a little over a year now, having had no prior consultancy experience nor having worked for a medium sized company before. Pros: Great culture - tight-knit community feel, promotes healthy work/life balance, diverse, impressive calibre of staff and plenty of opportunities to make your mark. I work in Technology Transformation with a fantastic bunch of experienced professionals with a number of skills and competencies spread amongst the group. A good gender balance (unlike many Tech teams I've worked with in the past). Fantastic development opportunities - which is one of the key attractions for me personally.

Cons

Nothing significant springs to mind

Viewing 1 - 10 of 19 Reviews