Barksdale Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
C. Ian Dodd

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great People, Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Barksdale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked at Barksdale for over 10 years and I feel very fortunate to be part of Barksdale and Crane. People come and go, but those who stay are the ones that make this environment a great place to work. We all have bad days, but overall the positive defeats any negative energy. Company functions/meetings bring positive energy and makes us feel proud to be part of this team.

Cons

Turnover has been challenging and replacement challenging as well. I remain very hopeful. Office looks old and worn, needs upgrade.

Advice to Management

Engage more with the each employee (overall), get to know people by name, always greet people you see; we all like to feel acknowledged, have after hour fun functions. This will boost morale and maybe have more employee retention.

2. "Fast track"

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Barksdale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn a lot quickly with multiple projects, Kaizens and opportunity for hands on testing work. A lot of defined processes.

Cons

The company has taken an extensive lean journey and is now trying to squeeze the remaining few percent of efficiency out- this can be taxing on the employees.

Advice to Management

Address toxic environment created by certain employees.

3. "Unprofessional Dinosaur"

I worked at Barksdale full-time

Pros

They have vending machines and coffee machines.
    Robust on-going discussions on getting new getting new carpet.
    More meetings that you can count/ participate.
    Expansive list of jargons - "Strong head winds...Turn over rate...optimization..standardization..can you please provide commentary on this?... softness in the market... and on and on and on..."

Cons

You can choose to work here if none of these things bother you

Micro management by managers - Since, all managers have inflated titles and executive egos, they don't feel they are contributing unless they micro manage their direct reports work.
    2 - Slave to system - Their Business system is the most banal system I have seen. Over reliance on that system is a mandate. You are punished if you ever choose to deviate from their script.
    Attrition - Attrition in middle and senior management roles is so high that it will make your head spin. But apparently, it makes for a "dynamic" work environment, whatever.
    People - Most of them are frustrated because they can't either move up or out. Those who can don't last more than 1 - 3 years.
    Products - Don't remember the last time they had a block buster product. By the time they do manage to stumble and bumble to release a new product they are so far behind in the technology adoption curve that the industry has already jumped to the next best thing.
    Location - Get ready to smell rotten eggs every morning when you step out of your car to make way to building that boasts of a 1960s decor. If you are lucky you might get a used table and chair on your first day.... actually you might get a place to sit because .... "we are hiring due to robust growth (wink wink)... actually just replacing people who quit.. but you get the drift".

Advice to Management

Management is the problem! Take your horse blinders off and you will notice that the competitors and the industry are far, far ahead of you. Try to practice humility and honesty.

"Associate Product Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vernon, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vernon, CA

I worked at Barksdale full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people. Excellent MRP systems. High degree of Process Improvement implementation.

Cons

Lack of security. Management not particularly interested in employees or their development. Poor atmosphere for mutual respect from management to work force.

Advice to Management

The bottom line is directly impacted by the employees. They are the lowest common denominator of that impact where management must keep focused. HRs role is not just to protect the company, but also to be an advocate for the employee.

5. "Strong, Loyal Customer Base"

I have been working at Barksdale full-time

Pros

Family environment, team pulls for one another. Products very strong on reliability, and adaptability. Customer service focus, with eye on what really matters. Customer base features several Fortune 500 companies, with long-term business relationships with many of these.

Cons

New product development timeline needs to be compressed, more turnover at top of team than one would like to see

Advice to Management

Protect and Grow. Never lose focus on customer service, product reliability (protect). Improve NPD cycle time. (Grow).

6. "Every day is an opportunity"

I have been working at Barksdale full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

* Continuous improvement drives the organization - Crane is built on process improvements - seeking root cause/corrective action to solve problems and having a day-to-day culture of looking for ways to work smarter. Cross-functional Kaizen events help with teamwork as well as process improvements. Although it's difficult to prioritize between fixing the immediate problem and getting to real root cause/corrective action - it's a real accomplishment to succeed in both - and with the right team we get it done.
    * Barksdale offers career advancement for those who are driven to succeed and move forward. They offer education reimbursement and continuous training opportunities. I have held multiple positions within the organization (each one advancing upward). There are also positions where individuals are "perfectly placed" - they are good at what they do and don't want to move up. Successful companies need a fine blend of both. Employees need to be adaptable to change too. Crane is a world-wide corporation offering career advancement across all the business units.
    * It is refreshing to bring in new talent to the company - in the past people held positions and often they were not the best person for that job. It's exciting to have new ideas and feel the creativity when our teams expand.
    * There is never a dull moment here - the pace of the work is very fast - being able to multi-task and prioritize are traits required for any position at Barksdale. Employees are problem-solvers and eager to please the customer.
    * Barksdale offers flexibility around individual work hours to meet individual needs - they have a focus on personal life as well as professional responsibilities.

Cons

* The continuous improvement process often puts people on the defensive - digging into process improvements, root cause and corrective action can be uncomfortable - especially when it involves your area of expertise. It's important that the company keeps a focus on "process" and not on the individuals when doing the projects.
    * Vernon is not a very attractive area - it's basically all industry
    * The office area needs to be upgraded - which is in process of being worked on
    * There's a learning curve as new hires come on board - there are lots of processes and procedures to learn.

Advice to Management

* It's important that upper management is available to the employees - not only when issues arise, but in the normal course of business - being present throughout the company is a sign that you care. Keep the Open Door policy with open doors.
    * Keeping employees informed is key - communication at all levels helps teamwork develop and grow.

7. "Management"

I have been working at Barksdale full-time

Pros

1. Great culture 2. Strong relationships 3. Team that steps up for each other 4. Committed associates 5. Strong business trajectory 6. Crane is investing in the business

Cons

Fast pace due to growth, Turnover (in LA region)

Advice to Management

Barksdale is a gem in the Crane Fluid Handling businesses - seeing great momentum coming out of the recession/ O&G challenges. Keep investing and building out the team

8. "Growing , Dynamic Business with Career Opporunities"

I have been working at Barksdale full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Focused on delivering profitable growth of the business. The team rallies together behind top opportunities across functions. We get the opportunity to work on some exciting initiatives in New Product Development, Sales Strategy and Productivity that will write the future of the business.
    - Significant opportunities to grow your career doing meaningful work, within Barksdale or across Crane. In the last two years, even with the markets in decline, I can count at least 10 internal promotions within our business or from our business to another division of Crane. People that achieve their objectives and work well within the team are given big opportunities to grow, plain and simple.
    - Small and close leadership team. Most of the team is onsite in LA, and this helps to facilitate close working relationships - we see our leadership team every day.
    - Results oriented. People on the team take pride in winning.

Cons

- Exposure to O&G market made for a difficult 1.5 years as the market was in decline. However, since the business is diversified across markets, it wasn't as bad as some of our peers experienced.

9. "Management"

I have been working at Barksdale full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Niche manufacturer of industrial instrumentation offering quick customization of products to add value for customers. Systems & teams are set up to execute at the highest levels. High energy & talent at all levels of the business is recognized & rewarded. Barksdale & Crane are transparent & honest to customers, suppliers & employees. I have worked at a number of companies that do not live this. (Refreshing & reassuring.)

Cons

Recent O&G market conditions hurt top line & bottom line numbers resulting in many changes in the personnel structure. Fortunately our Transportation valves & general hydraulic instrumentation still hit targets & so we were less effected than many 100% O&G focused companies. New products have been slower to release than the business would like but current pipeline vitality looks strong.

Advice to Management

Employee talented people who share or desire the same values that Crane & Barksdale expects.
    Take more risk on new product development to continue driving accelerated growth.

10. "Barksdale offers Opportunity for Career Advancement - Focus on Teamwork"

I have been working at Barksdale full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- This is a company that values teamwork. Every employee (including leadership) is in the details and the team works together to achieve results. I really enjoy working with this team.
    - There is a mindset of driving continuous improvement. People who enjoy driving change and making an impact are very successful here.
    -There is opportunity for promotion within Barksdale and more broadly within Crane. Multiple members of our team have been promoted within Barksdale or to/from other Crane business units.
    - In my time at Barksdale, I have consistently been given opportunities to stretch myself on projects and broaden my experience. Opportunities for development continue to present themselves and the company has taken a genuine interest in my development.

Cons

In the effort to drive improvements and growth, there are challenges prioritizing and ensuring associates are not overloaded. Having said that, I think that the leadership team continues to improve on driving focus on key priorities and balance.