Barnardo's Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 9, 2019

2.8
Barnardo's Chief Executive Javed Khan
Javed Khan
Pros
  • "Friendly staff and nice working environment(in 14 reviews)

• "Supporting young people, making a difference to their lives(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Checks not enforced despite being encouraged to take additional support needs volunteers(in 32 reviews)

• "reduced funding putting pressure on the charity to deliver(in 23 reviews)

"Great Causes"

I worked at Barnardo's full-time

Pros

An organization focused on the future. In a corporate transition and hoping to add value to the families, young people and children they support.

Cons

Emotional, tiring work for those who are passionate about serving a social cause.

Advice to Management

Technology is the future and a key to ensure Barnardo's stays relevant and connected to the people in supports in an ever-changing world.

Barnardo's2017-12-13
  2. "Great people, but sometimes frustrating"

I worked at Barnardo's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing staff with big hearts who really care about the work they're doing. Felt personally supported.

Cons

Senior leadership sometimes clash with each other creating semi-dysfunction. Didn't feel supported work-wise in my department.

Advice to Management

Would be great if the leadership team could work better together and agree on priorities instead of fighting for their own departments.

Barnardo's2018-07-05
  3. "Full time administration post"

Former Employee - Administrator

I worked at Barnardo's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Barnardo's really helps people across the UK and I was lucky enough to see this first-hand. My immediate managers were supportive, loyal, and responsive to their team's feelings. I admired my colleagues a great deal: they were all dedicated and hardworking. Flexible and responsive to work-life balance requests.

Cons

There was a great deal of disillusionment about the new employee contract and the consultation process surrounding it. The consultation seemed forced and many employees - including managers - felt pressured to agree to the conditions despite misgivings.

Advice to Management

Local management in my view was doing a great job in complicated circumstances. Senior management could be more tuned in to the feelings of front-line staff, particularly social workers and child therapists.

Barnardo's2016-06-28
  4. "its a very good company"

Former Employee - Volunteer in Gerrards Cross, England

I worked at Barnardo's part-time for more than a year

Pros

nice environment to work in and everyone is really friendly

Cons

one of my managers was slightly unprofessional and kept taking smoking breaks with her boyfriend instead of working but she was fired

Barnardo's2019-12-09
  5. "Great team, rewarding work"

Former Employee - Missing Children Practitioner

I worked at Barnardo's full-time for more than a year

Pros

One of the best teams I have been a part of. High turnover of managers but luckily for me most of mine were great. Salary good. Work is rewarding.

Cons

High turnover of staff, primarily on a senior management level.

Barnardo's2019-11-18

"Great place to work but high staff turn over needs to be addressed"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing

I worked at Barnardo's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working on campaigns which were positively impacting people's lives was truly amazing and rewarding. I came in at a junior level and was encouraged to take ownership of campaigns, allowing me to grow my confidence and expertise in a relatively short amount of time.

Cons

Lack of clear strategy coming from CEO/ high level senior management Senior members of staff put a lot of pressure on the marketing team to put anything and everything out on social which isn't always the best strategy. Multiple teams working on digital marketing strategy conflicts with each other e.g. brand team and fundraising team running separate paid campaigns on the same marketing channels are likely... to be bidding against each other and it's an inefficient use of budget. Constant restructures and high turnover of staff makes strategy a lot more difficult to acheive.

Advice to Management

Management need to address the high levels of staff turnover, also need to allow social channels to showcase the amazing work the charity does rather than focusing on the CEO.

Barnardo's2019-11-16
  7. "AMAZING"

Former Employee - Volunteer in Woolwich, England

I worked at Barnardo's part-time

Pros

i loved it soo much the staff was great

Cons

But the staff could be a bit harshh

Barnardo's2019-11-11
  8. "Nice environment, working for a good cause"

Former Employee - Student Worker in London, England

I worked at Barnardo's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great working environment Working towards a good cause - higher motivation

Cons

Tasks would get very repetitive at times

Advice to Management

More variety of tasks for student volunteers

Barnardo's2019-11-07
  9. "Chaotic"

I worked at Barnardo's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of extremely lovely and committed people working there, the premises were generally nice, and had a decent computer and phone.

Cons

I worked on a specific project funded for a set amount of time. The project exceeded its aims massively and identified a high need for further work yet fundraising put almost no effort into securing future funding. I was threaded with redundancy for about a year, first I was offered a job well suited to my skills but fairly inconvenient with a pay cut. Then redundancy was withdrawn. Then it happened again, but by... now I was pregnant and they made zero effort to find me another role. I was made redundant the same month I gave birth. I attended an equality celebration event where several speakers and guests were invited who had disabilities. We were instructed to play and icebreaker game that involved standing up and sitting down without any adaptations for the disabled guests. It was awkward to say the least. They have interns they don’t pay, and most staff are on zero hours contracts and/or fixed term.

Advice to Management

Lots of work needs doing around equality and diversity. Also paying staff what they are worth and developing staff skills.

Barnardo's2019-11-13

"ok"

Current Employee - Project Worker

I have been working at Barnardo's part-time for less than a year

Pros

very friendly place to work

Cons

none at the moment i think

Barnardo's2019-10-24