Barnes Aerospace Reviews | Glassdoor

Barnes Aerospace Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2019

Found 49 reviews

2.5
Barnes Aerospace CEO Roy Goldsmith (no image)
Roy Goldsmith
Pros
  • "Good pay and that’s literally it(in 5 reviews)

• "Great people to work with and for(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "(in 2 reviews)

• "(in 2 reviews)

"NDT Level II Inspector"

Inspector in Layton, UT

I worked at Barnes Aerospace for more than a year

Pros

Barnes allowed me to excel in my career path of a Quality Inspector. Barnes allowed me to achieve me Level II certification while performing my daily duties... Over all a wonderful company to work for...

Cons

At this time they are on a hiring freeze. The 777 and 787 Airplanes that have been in service are being taking out of service. reduce work force.

Advice to Management

spend time with employees get to know them, get involved with whats happening on the floor. share thoughts and ideas with everyone to improve employee awareness.

Barnes Aerospace2016-08-14

"Excellent workers, horrible management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Barnes Aerospace full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Overtime is available, even though there is little work to justify it. Co-workers are great, knowledgeable people.

Cons

Management is a dysfunctional team that cannot plan/schedule manufacturing and OTD of parts shows that. If you are not part of the "Good Ole Boys" club you will not advance. Friends and relatives of managers receive promotions and better pay than employees who have been here years longer. The insurance is expensive and very limited. HR is virtually non-existent. Those that run production and quality are not suited... for the job they hold.

Advice to Management

Adjusting the pay-scale and benefits would improve morale. Perhaps seek more qualified individuals to fill the positions of management. Every department does not need a manager, supervisor, unit team lead AND cell leader (that is overkill). Listen to employees who have been working here for years as opposed to basing day-to-day decisions on your newly hired friend's advice.

Barnes Aerospace2019-04-11

"Not Very Good"

Former Employee - Manager in West Chester, OH

I worked at Barnes Aerospace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay and work life balance

Cons

Lack of cohesive long term plan

Advice to Management

Don't keep planning for month's end numbers

Barnes Aerospace2019-01-29

"Avoid at all cost TOXIC, TOXIC, TOXIC environment"

Former Employee - Welder in West Chester, OH

I worked at Barnes Aerospace full-time for more than a year

Pros

Almost 4 weeks vacation right out of the gate.

Cons

One of the most toxic places I have worked for in my career as a welder. Turnover in the last year alone is probably 25-30% of the workforce & in the span of the year while I was still employed there at least a dozen skilled aerospace welders left this facility & that in itself should be cause for a major red flag. Qualified tig welders in the aerospace work force are not easy to come by welding this thin... exotic material. Have had numerous offenses in the shop with fights & confrontations as well as local police having to patrol & sit in the parking lot for fear of retaliation from disgruntled employees, "told you it was toxic" This all stemming from not having the people with the know how in upper management positions to defuse & to correct problems properly especially the HR department, very unprofessional for someone who is supposed to work for the company & it's people. It really is unfortunate cause there are some good employees there & it has the potential to thrive but not with the current management team. Barnes corperate I wish you would see the continued trend of your West Chester division & the things that are posted about it here so you may get an understanding how horrid it is.

Advice to Management

Overhaul the whole West Chester division ASAP

Barnes Aerospace2019-01-25
  5. "Challenging, fast pace. It has its ups and downs just like everywhere else."

Current Employee - NPI Engineer in Ogden, UT

I have been working at Barnes Aerospace full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people are what makes Barnes a great place to work. Great bounces plans and profit sharing.

Cons

Barnes Aerospace is not a big company like Boeing, Northrop Grumman, etc.... It’s still growing. No flex schedules offered, like 4 - 10’s.

Advice to Management

Management needs to get employees more involved so they can have more pride in their job and feel like they are more than another employee.

Barnes Aerospace2018-06-19
  6. "Material Handler"

Former Employee - Material Handler in West Chester, OH

I worked at Barnes Aerospace full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There no pros concerning working at Barnes Aerospace (West Chester.) None at all. A horrible place to work. Supervisor was a spineless weasel.

Cons

Management is clueless. Will not listen to any suggestions The hourly personnel are nothing but "cattle." Turnover rate is (both hourly and managemnt) is alarming. Cruise through the month, then "end of Month" day happens. 16-18 hour days are normal for this "panic attack," all due to poor production planning. I'd say this place will be "lights off" within 5 years. In addition, HR doesn't do their homework.... (Attempted to tell us we could not have our weapons in our vehicles while parked on company property. This is Ohio, yes we can.) They got schooled on that very quick, and with no mea culpa.

Advice to Management

Ever heard of "level loading?" No. Don't pay temps more than a full time employee. Look at what's going on before you waste time having a 1 hour "All Hands Meeting" that no one really cares about. All in all, management is inept.

Barnes Aerospace2018-06-03
  7. "Welder"

Current Employee - Welder in West Chester, OH

I have been working at Barnes Aerospace full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good company challenging been around for years and growing great people to work with employees are very helpful when it comes to being trained

Cons

Management needs to treat people with respect including Human Resources to many petty rules hourly employees get treated like 2nd class citizens sometimes

Advice to Management

Treat people who have dedicated themselves like they are important

Barnes Aerospace2017-11-23

"Barnes is one of the worst companies in existence"

Former Employee - Hot Form in Lansing, MI

I worked at Barnes Aerospace full-time for less than a year

Pros

none, the management is driving out employees of 30+ years to not pay out retirements benefits

Cons

management will directly tell you to "NOT WORK HARD" yet will fire you for punching in 2 minutes too early, great investment of over a billion dollars and they wonder why more scrap leaves the back door than finished product out the front

Advice to Management

get new management, also when someone calls to Barnes HQ Human Resources to let them know about the horrific mismanagement, you have to call back 8 times over the course of 3 weeks to get a very rude lady to finally listen to how abhorrent of a company this is

Barnes Aerospace2017-11-21
  9. "Decent Pay, Pricey Benefits"

I have been working at Barnes Aerospace full-time

Pros

There is a lot of room for advancement in this company but turnover has been high lately.

Cons

Benefits are good but are going to cost you.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge your employees. A little encouragement goes a long way.

Barnes Aerospace2017-10-10

"Disabled vet fired for being 2 minutes late"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I worked at Barnes Aerospace full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay and that’s literally it

Cons

Fired for being 2 minutes late and then after being told to punch in early was fired for punching in too early

Advice to Management

Talk to new hires before about how horrible it is to punch in ONE SINGLE SECOND LATE OR EARLY RESULTS IN firing via text on a Saturday

Barnes Aerospace2017-11-05