Barnes & Noble Reviews

Updated May 27, 2022

Found 5,963 of over 6,134 reviews

3.8
Barnes & Noble Chief Executive Officer James Daunt (no image)
James Daunt

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The people I work with are great and really make it fun to come to work.(in 446 reviews)
  • "My coworkers are great and we've all worked here so long it feels like a family.(in 440 reviews)
  • "Flexible hours and you get to be around books all the time and usually literature enthusiast.(in 220 reviews)
  • "Good benefits are available to full(in 202 reviews)
  • "Flexible schedule and Fast(in 127 reviews)
Cons
  • "low pay and arbitrary corporate policies; lack of communication between higher ups and average employees(in 695 reviews)
  • "Bad management can be tiresome at most times(in 384 reviews)
  • "Managers have no qualms scheduling you until midnight and then having you return at 8 the next morning.(in 229 reviews)
  • "I literally only got paid 25 cents above minimum wage and was overworked as a college student.(in 95 reviews)
  • "The starting pay for a bookseller is minimum wage and pay increases are very diffucult to obtain.(in 82 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Barnes & Noble and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Batista in cafe

Feb 7, 2022 - Senior Barista in Centerville, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great management, great training, flexible hours, easy to move up

Cons

Small starting pay, short staffed

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Place to Work

May 27, 2022 - Barnes and Noble in Greensboro, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Discounted books -Great company culture -Reliance on cross-training means you will learn a lot even as a part-time employee

Cons

-Retail means lower overall wages though this may have changed since I worked there -Workload is variable enough that no two days are exactly the same which may be a positive for some people -The perils of working in any big box store apply here

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Truly Enjoyable Job

May 26, 2022 - Senior Bookseller/Keyholder
    Business Outlook

Pros

As an avid book reader working at Barnes and Noble is like a dream come true. Obviously working in retail isn't the ideal, but compared to my other retail horror experiences at Home Depot and Pet Supplies Plus this has been a breeze.

Cons

It's a retail job. Working with the general public is always a nuisance.

4. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great place terrible pay

May 22, 2022 - Bookseller/Barista
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing discount, nice management who is flexible and willing to work w/ you, most customers are nice and the job is quite enjoyable

Cons

Management is afraid of firing problem employees and will let homophobia and racism exist before they fire someone. Also after 3 years I only made $10.20/hr.

5. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

For "Booklovers"

May 2, 2022 - Bookseller
    Business Outlook

Pros

Really enjoyed the vibe/atmosphere. Customers were passionate about books and easy to relate to. Shared interests made working with co-workers a breeze. Employee discount was nice, too. Overall, really nice place to work if you love books and people. (This was my first retail job, fresh out of high school).

Cons

Management was a bit dodgy. There were a few issues with women being used as scapegoats, but this was one location, and I don't think it's the same across the company. Lastly, scheduling was a bit of an issue. (It was still a really good experience to work here, and I would recommend it from the perspective of a first job in retail before/during college, especially if you're passionate about books).

6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Solid starter management job.

May 15, 2022 - Café Manager in Rogers, AR
    Business Outlook

Pros

No drive thru in Cafe, corporate allows for the freedom to set up displays and merchandising to be reflective of your area instead of cookie cutter designs. Coworkers are great. Generally a more intellectual and respectful customer base.

Cons

Pay is lacking for entry level positions which are frequently expected to do a lot more than most other minimum wage jobs. Management pay is also roughly 25% below average compared to other companies.

7. 5.0
    Former Employee

Really Enjoyed working there

May 5, 2022 - Bookseller/Barista
    Business Outlook

Pros

I loved rotating between the cafe and the book store, I enjoyed staying over night for certain (optional) shifts, to rearrange/restock shelves or store look. It was a great team to work with and a really fun place to be

Cons

The pay was a bit low, and business was a little slow sometimes, but overall it was enjoyable

8. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Great environment

Apr 14, 2022 - Cafe Manager in The Villages, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Book loan program is fantastic, you can borrow any book you want. Employee discount is 30% and it used to be 50% in the cafe which was awesome, they took that away.

Cons

The pay sucks, if you add benefits for your family you basically break even, especially if you have to drive very far to work. No tip jar or anything in the cafe which is really odd. Like any retail job you’re going to work all weekend and every single holiday so don’t even think you’re gonna get some cushy schedule, you’ll be working nights and weekends forever. It’s really hard to push things they want you to push, especially if it’s BS. At one point they wanted us signing 10 people a shift up for a BN Mastercard, it was really pushy and awkward. They get really dramatic about the membership too so if you’re not into pushy sales, not a good place for you.

9. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good job

May 22, 2022 - Café Server/Barista in New Hartford, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

I was able to work a consistent part-time schedule, working in a bookstore was a nice vibe, and I generally liked what I was doing.

Cons

Same cons as you'd have for any giant company - just over minimum wage with tiny raises and schedule wasn't always flexible.

10. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Job was great, management didn't pay attention to us

May 2, 2022 - Cashier/Barista in Santa Clarita, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

You get to make Starbucks drinks without being a Starbucks employee. Coworkers are also great (for the most part)

Cons

Management (mostly the store manager in particular) saw us as just an extra area of revenue for the store so they didn't really prioritize our needs. We were often short-staffed, busy, and didn't have access to efficient tools that could have made our work-lives easier. Because management didn't care to provide us with the extra help. Most of us at the time were also playing many different roles in the company on the cafe side, without proper pay.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 5,963 Reviews

Barnes & Noble Reviews FAQs

Barnes & Noble has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 6,134 reviews left anonymously by employees. 69% of employees would recommend working at Barnes & Noble to a friend and 44% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Barnes & Noble employees rate their compensation and benefits as 2.9 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Barnes & Noble. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

69% of Barnes & Noble employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Barnes & Noble 3.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.8 for culture and values and 3.0 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Barnes & Noble to be workplace, benefits, coworkers and the cons to be culture, career development, management.

Popular Careers with Barnes & Noble Job Seekers