Barnes & Noble Reviews

Updated May 12, 2021

3.7
Barnes & Noble Chief Executive Officer James Daunt (no image)
James Daunt
Pros
  • "Friendly coworkers, good employee discount(in 405 reviews)

• "The work environment is filled with nice people(in 194 reviews)

• Cons
  • "paid state minimum wage which was low in my state(in 209 reviews)

• "Almost all positions are part-time, but the workload can honestly be full-time(in 198 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Barnes & Noble and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0

Love it here

May 12, 2021 - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Falls Church, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company; cares for employees

Cons

Could pay better; have more full time positions

2. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Decent job, poor executive management will ruin this company

Apr 15, 2021 - Community Business Development Manager in Corpus Christi, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

The community manager role is important to smaller cities and rural areas. I believe Barnes and Noble provide niche market services with the community manager role. My schedule was flexible (mostly because my store manager allowed me to come and go as I pleased). In-store coworkers were friendly and fun. Conversing with the community, local schools, and non-profits was engaging and enjoyable.

Cons

Horrible management decisions from the top down. Barely spoke to my "district" development leader (3 states away). No understanding of "relationship sales" mentality throughout the entire organization, only focus on retail. The entire company has no idea what their key differentiator and is slowly losing more business and revenue to competitors like Amazon because they are too stubborn to recognize this. Building up the community business team and a community presence is the only thing that will save this company and they are moving in the opposite direction because that's what they think technology is pushing for. The operations of this business are atrocious, delayed orders, rude internal service teams, and constant incorrect inventory supplies bogged down my daily job and ate up valuable sales development time.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

No complaints, I enjoy the work

May 11, 2021 - Bookseller Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible scheduling, good management team, and lots of tasks to do throughout the day.

Cons

I don’t really have much to say as cons? I’ve been with my store since spring 2019 and haven’t had any major issues

4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Fantastic Place to work, but it has it's flaws.

Mar 24, 2021 - Café Server/Barista in North Wales, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

As a part-time gig it's great, fun people, super friendly, and since you're working in the cafe, you get to make and serve some pretty flavored cool drinks that you can invent. The real magic are your fellow co-workers, all of them have great sense of humors, and are always there to help and support you.

Cons

The obvious cons however are the work loads, it can get overwhelming and you may be alone for a chuck of it. To be fair; a number booksellers have been cross trained to support you in case it gets too hectic, but there will be times where your ability to work under pressure will be put to the test. (Here's some tips: keep a sense of humor, breathe, communication is key, and start the process of closing and cleaning a few hours early before you close, that way you can compensate for the "Last Minute Shoppers," so you can complete your tasks and leave at a reasonable time.)

5. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Fair, fun, don't spend your money on books that you can just borrow.

May 11, 2021 - Bookseller in Jacksonville, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

books, people, location, discounts at other stores in the shopping center.

Cons

changes from management structure, overnight shifts.

6. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Better than most retail gigs, but still retail

Feb 1, 2021 - Bookseller/Barista
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Coworkers and management are friendly and from all different age groups, don't feel super pushed to upsell anything unreasonable - Encouraged to have conversations with customers about books or media you enjoy, feels less like working and more like getting to know people sometimes - Huge employee discount

Cons

- Pays more than minimum wage in my state, but still is nowhere near livable. Have a coworker who has been working there for years and has just now gotten a $1 raise. The amount of work you do and are trained to do isn't worth the amount you're paid. - On your feet constantly, especially as a bookseller you'll be running around the store at all times. - You'll get scheduled for 7 1/2 hours sometimes so you don't get an extra break. Breaks are relatively long, but sometimes scheduled strangely. I've had a 15-minute break in the same hour as a 30-minute break at the start of my shift, then I'm out on the floor for 4 straight hours. - If you're trained to do almost everything in the store, you'll be pulled in every direction. If you're scheduled in the cafe, sometimes that's just on paper so they can put an extra person on the bookfloor and leave whoever is in cafe to close by themselves. - Great employee discount, but no free drink aside from water in the cafe. - Shifts can either take up a whole day or be extremely short.

7. 5.0

Great Energy

May 11, 2021 - Bookseller in Charlottesville, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The managers are amazing and great vibes to work to.

Cons

Certainly a lot of standing

8. 4.0

Barnes & Noble College Booksellers

May 7, 2021 - Student in Worcester, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is very chill and relaxed. Understand that I have class commitments as a student. It's a good job.

Cons

Some customers feel entitled to deals on items and don't understand that there's nothing you can do about a price of an item.

9. 4.0

Good Job

Apr 2, 2021 - Bookseller in Elizabethtown, KY
      Business Outlook

Pros

It was a great job. It was calming the majority of the time. I loved my coworkers, I loved our older customers and the discount both on the bookfloor and in cafe. Outside of my current business, I've never worked a better job.

Cons

We had LOT of Karens come in and sometimes it felt like corporate was moving purposelessly. I work in marketing full time and I could not for the life of me figure out some of their moves. The pay was also really bad which is why I had to quit. I rarely saw a paycheck over $200 and eventually, it wasn't worth my time. I really wish I could have stayed though.

10. 4.0

Barista at Barnes and Nobles

May 7, 2021 - Barista - Starbucks in Columbus, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Quiet Communication skills Customer Service is great Management is nice Employees are amazing

Cons

Stressful at times Bathrooms are at times not managed properly Some shelves do not look properly stocked Overwhelming Community at times Loud at times

Viewing 1 - 10 of 5,046 Reviews