Barnes & Noble Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Leonard Riggio

Pros
Cons
  • Not very engaging or interest peaking, minimum wage (in 144 reviews)

• Part time hours and wages that a person can not live on (in 132 reviews)

1. "I love the staff, however the company makes a lot of backwards thinking decisions."

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people, both employees and shoppers are a treat to work with and for. We are paid on time, without fail.

Cons

I love the staff, however the company makes a lot of backwards thinking decisions. For example, shoveling millions of dollars into our tablets and e-reader without having any true experience in device technology and tech-industry experts at the helm. The cutbacks in staffing kill our level of customer service, and it is increasingly difficult to keep high-performing employees at the low level of pay we offer.

The pay is poor, employee retention is poor, our executives make really bad decisions, and our hardware and software technologies are years behind, making it very difficult to do our jobs and serve our customers.

Advice to Management

Kill the nook, invest in better hardware/software technology, build a better website, better in-store wifi and hire younger, more tech savvy, executives.

2. "Leaving was one the best things"

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None I can recall right now.

Cons

Took a 25% pay cut. One of the worst companies I ever worked for. Expects full time dedication from part time employees. Required to sign contract to not post negative comments to sites like this, grounds for firing. showed a complete disregard for my health concerns/disability.

Advice to Management

Petty concerns. Micro-managing. Disconnected from staff and customers. I have worked in management, and have experience in the proper operation of a business. Tone deaf.

3. "Bookseller"

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time

Pros

Half-price cafe items reduced the profit they could make from us using their services during breaks.

Cons

Ridiculously understaffed. Underpaid employees. The only employees left are ones who have allowed their souls to be sucked from their bodies.

Advice to Management

Actually consider training employees.

5. "Not worth the money"

Pros

I had access to many books.

Cons

Terrible management and unhappy staff.

"Very Worrisome Practices"

Former Employee - Bookseller in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I worked at Barnes & Noble (More than 3 years)

Pros

They'll hire anyone.
    They don't care about prior experience.
    Pay is ok, but not stellar.
    They have good benefits if you make it to full time, though not many do.
    The regular booksellers can be really cool, and lifers are usually hilarious and fun to work with.

Cons

The management team seems to be very OK with allowing shady practices to go down. I haven't worked there in a few years, but there was an employee (I'm pretty sure he's left at this point) that used to work hours off the clock, and the leadership team knew it. They'd hint that it was almost required to work after hours, thought walked that line of never actually straight up saying it. At least, not in front of me. I doubt that's changed much.

The basement used to flood with sewage on occasion, and they had employees clean it up. Also fired the bathroom cleaning crew, so those are always gross. If you end up in that store, and smell something way funky, it's probably that...again.

They are fanatical about trying to get people to buy into whatever is currently on trend. Memberships, nook, etc. It used to be about customer service, but when I left it was about trying to con every customer into buying something they don't need, just to keep your sales numbers up. They used to have us stand around and talk about what our favorite books are, or what we're reading. By the time I left, it was "sales sales sales" without any personal touch or passion for the material. Trying to convince a poor old woman, who had no need for a Nook, to buy one was the final straw for me. Just an awful feeling.

Two months after I was hired they raised the starting pay for new employees, and didn't raise anyone else's. I was told that it was something they were supposed to do, and I'd get back pay. This was done in the basement area, where no one else was so I had no witnesses. When it came time to actually follow through, I was told that I was never promised that, and that I was lucky to be bumped up at all. They will do everything they can to get you to work as much as you can, with as little pay as possible.

Overall, a terrible place to work if you want to be respected. Not worth it.

Advice to Management

Stop being shady as all get out. Now that I'm a little more experienced in the workforce, I realize just how completely messed up the stores practices are, and how often they try to actively screw over employees. Also, store manager is lazy, and generally apathetic. Don't know why he's still there.

7. "The worst"

Pros

The (small) discount offered, free books

Cons

Pays minimum wage and mindless bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Pay people enough to live

8. "Depends on your district"

Former Employee - Merchandise Manager
    Former Employee - Merchandise Manager

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You will always meet wonderful people when you work at BN. The employees are what make this company great. Room to grow in the company if your store manager is organized enough to maintain learning plans.

Cons

The company has lost focus. The pay is awful if you are not full time, and they make sure full time positions are hard to come by. I worked in multiple districts in multiple states, and the district management definitely makes an impact; which, I think, only proves that the vision is not clear throughout the company. They are pinching pennies and taking benefits, hours, and man power from the employees.

Advice to Management

Charge for Wi-Fi, bring back the 20% hardcover discount for members

9. "Book Seller"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

Pros

Nice discount, good store location.

Cons

Awful management, rude employees/managers, poor working conditions, bad salary.

Advice to Management

Actually treat employees with respect.

10. "Women managers are vicious toward men on the staff"

Current Employee - Book Seller in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Book Seller in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

50% discount at the café.

Cons

Barnes and Noble is run by women and they treat men employees very poorly. If you are a man who thinks it would be a great part-time job, consider these facts:

The women employees give you very little time to train on the computer system that locates books on shelves. A book could be on any one of 5 different shelves, and if you hesitate they jump all over you for your lack of knowledge. If you take a customer to the bookshelves, hand them the book, and listen to them the women will snap at you for taking too much time. If you ask the women employees a question they will either come at you like a tornado for not knowing the answer or they will ignore you.

When you are training on the cash register, the women expect you to know the store's unspoken rules. If you hesitate on the register they will bark at you. If you make a mistake they will sigh loudly and reprimand you as if you were a child. If you hit the wrong key and get lost in the transaction process you cannot ask them a question. They will ignore you.

If you are a man over 50, the women will strip you of all of your dignity. They will say things like "get over here" and "you do it or I'll make you do it." If you hesitate and think before you start a function because you've never done it before they will come at you like a ton of bricks and lecture you like you are a child. If they don't like you they will punish you by making you wear stupid hats and carry around stuffed animals and approach customers and solicit them to buy a tote, a stuffed animal and gift card on the spot.

The women will gather in groups and talk about the men who work there, backstabbing them and making fun of them right out in the open so you can hear them. These nasty conversations are almost always egged on -- or led -- by a woman in management.

If women in general have advanced professionally by implementing sophisticated managing and motivation leadership techniques they are not working at Barnes and Noble. The BN women employees act like a clique of mean girls out to destroy your self esteem and your overall morale, especially if you are a man.

Advice to Management

Weed out the women in management who model this vicious behavior toward men on the staff.

11. "Nook Business Development"

Pros

Time to do whatever I needed

Cons

Nook was a dying business so no work, and no captain driving the ship. Had to abandon

Showing 125 of 2,589 reviews