Barnes & Noble Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Leonard Riggio

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Lot of hard work expected for minimum wage (in 154 reviews)

• got less working hours due to a vast number of seasonal part time hiring (in 146 reviews)

1. "Barista"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corona, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corona, CA

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (More than a year)

Pros

No pros this was a terrible place to work

Cons

Awful place to work, management sucked

2. "Music Seller/ Customer Service"

Current Employee - Music Seller in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Music Seller in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Coworkers
    Some Assistant Managers are absolutely wonderful
    Flexible

Cons

Forced to Push membership/credit card on customers
    Top Management is terrible and never at work
    Lower tier managers are unfairly punished

Advice to Management

It's probably a good idea not to threaten an employee's job over false "facts." Top management should also stop delegating so much and actually do something.

"Unless you want to SELL, SELL, SELL memberships, don't apply here!"

Current Employee - Bookseller in Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to borrow hard cover books for 2 weeks at a time.
    I like some of the employees.

Cons

-They pressure you to sell memberships as if you are selling cars! That is part of the reason I am leaving. I just gave my 2-weeks notice 2 days ago. I was told I have to sell 12 memberships while working in customer service, out on the floor to make it to their "company standard" of 2%! Not even behind the register. So I am supposed to solicit customers about the membership on the floor! I will not bug customers in that fashion.
      -The scheduling has been atrocious since we got a new manager.
      -New bad manager hired from within the store.

Advice to Management

Better stop pressuring your booksellers to harass customers or they will stop coming to the store and go to Amazon like everyone else! You are going to lose lots of good employees this way!

"Sinking Ship--Don't Work Here"

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time

Pros

Kind coworkers-that is literally the only pro

Cons

There are too many to name. Worst job experience to date. The company is antiquated, elitist, a bore, disorganized, struggling and stuck in a time capsule. I worked on the digital team at headquarters, and hardly any higher ups have truly evolved with technology or digital up to par to current industry standards--they just stick it out with the company without gaining any new skill sets, thus they are unable to properly give any real mentorship or industry expertise. There is also very little room for growth after one of several company restructures. The company is fiscally failing and making cuts (unethically) abound. Literally the most incompetent group of people and the most toxic work environment I have experienced. Try as they might, the culture and morale is dry and miserable. Who knows how much longer they will survive. DO NOT apply and stunt your career growth--they are going nowhere fast. Such a shame for such a beloved brand.

Advice to Management

Get out of the .com era of the 90's and get training applicable to present day
    Diversify your team and LISTEN to their ideas
    Gain more relevancy by actually listening to your online audience
    Hire new EXPERTS in the industry instead of recycling in-house talent with little to no expertise beyond books

5. "Horrendous Company"

Former Employee - Children's Lead Bookseller in Geneva, IL
    Former Employee - Children's Lead Bookseller in Geneva, IL

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefit package for entry level full-time position

Cons

Unsecure anonymous company hotline
    Non-existent training and training procedure
    Unethical company policies
    Company culture creates mentally unhealthy environment to work in

Advice to Management

Create a healthy team and family environment

6. "Terrible"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Appleton, WI

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount, 50% off cafe, 30% off books,

Cons

Management and pay, attitude of customers

Advice to Management

Give your employees raises

"Worst Company I've Worked For"

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time

Pros

30% off discount, 50% off cafe, free stripped books.

Cons

Company doesn't care about their employees. I complained multiple times to the district managers and even the "we listen" about management. Employees were constantly verbally abused, they would never promote from within, raises were given based on how much you such up to management, not work ethic. I informed the district manager and we listen that the assistant manager would discuss sexual topics in front of high school aged employees. She's still working there a year later. Turn over rate is terrible, people are trained then never come back because of the managers. We had a whole cafe team quit because of the store manager yet they refuse to fire her because it's easier to just keep hiring new employees rather than training a new store manager. This is the worst company I've worked for and I've worked at McDonalds in the past. My anxiety got so bad because of this job I had to double my anxiety medication and I'm not the only employee who has had to increase their anxiety medication due to the job.

Advice to Management

Try caring about your employees. Listen to them, respect them, maybe try actually reading a book once in awhile?

8. "Not the best! Anyone says anytbing negative about u whether it's true or not and your new ...you get in trouble."

Former Employee - Head Cashier in Queens, KY
    Former Employee - Head Cashier in Queens, KY

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

books, book signing, meet famous people, and I can't think of anything else...theres more cons then pros

Cons

bad pay, not enough credit and acknowledgment, favoritism, nepotism, managers will get you in trouble if they don't like you, etc

Advice to Management

treat your employees better

"I was Appalled"

Former Employee - Head Cashier in Newburgh, NY
    Former Employee - Head Cashier in Newburgh, NY

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro that I could name off the top of my head is the 30% employee discount.

Cons

1. MEMBERSHIP SALES: As a head cashier I was expected to push the memberships to a degree that was unreasonable. Then, during the holidays, I also was expected to push disgusting cheesecakes on top of it. Despite my being good at my job, good with customers, good at managing the front end, etc. they threatened to fire me if I didn't sell more cheesecake/memberships (I had to have 2% of all sales be a membership). I found it extremely injust that I could be fired for something that ultimately rests on the freewill of a stranger (the customer) - the majority of which come in there to buy a magazine or one book - in which case the membership makes no sense. YOU WILL BE FIRED FOR NOT SELLING MEMBERSHIPS, BEWARE.

2. HOURS/SCHEDULING: You are expected to work a late shift (till 11pm sometimes 12am) and then come in and open the store at 7:30 the next morning. You never know what your schedule will be week to week and thus you can never plan anything in your real life. You rarely if ever have two consecutive days off in a row. You will cease to feel like a human.

Advice to Management

Notice a good employee when you have one, and also realize that the membership haggling that happens at the front end actually angers customers more than delights them. Also, put in a tad of effort in scheduling... you will have much more amiable employees if they feel like they can actually enjoy a little of their lives outside of your bix-box hell hole.

10. "One of the worst companies I've ever worked for"

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time

Pros

Discount on food available in the cafe.

Cons

The management is awful. I was never properly trained for my position. You work the same schedule every week. If you request time off, management acts as if you are an inconvenience.

Showing 140 of 2,926 reviews